LANDR Mastering Before and After - Comparison on EDM Track
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
wipeout
Sample Destroyer
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023647
LANDR Mastering Before and After - Comparison on EDM Track

Hi Guys,

Here's my track before and after using LANDR for mastering. This is a $10 mastered song to see the difference. I left plenty of headroom in the mix and honestly after exporting and playing on my CDJ's it just isn't on par with other songs that I play loudness / punchy wise.
I'm curious to know your opinion! Is my original mixdown not loud/good enough? Does LANDR suck ass? A combo of the 2? Is this the right thread or is it the listening booth?

Before:

After:

Advertisements

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
MOODi
IDMf's latest spammer
MOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura about
Saskatoon
MC Status: 210
Re: LANDR Mastering Before and After - Comparison on EDM Track

If you're looking for a really loud feel to your tracks, LANDR is definitely not the way to go.
LANDR's mastering is what I'd consider "proper" mastering, where it's not too loud that it's going to blow an eardrum.

In order to get the full eardrum blowing feel - I'd suggest using a custom-made mastering rack inside of your DAW and using Fab Filter Pro-L to give it that really punchy feel without removing too much of the dynamics.

I was actually reading a really good post on this somewhere today, however, I forget as to where I found it.
MOODi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MOODi
tristcarmichael (06-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010

Hey, I think you got the right subforum, and your mix doesn't sound that bad pre-master. You might consider putting some stuff on your master outs of your mix, like a tilt EQ, summing/saturation, tape emulation, etc to make life in mastering easier. But the mix is OK as is. I actually have a coupon for some LANDR masters right now, so I intend to see what it can do versus what I can do, though I hope I top it as I'm starting to master other people's work now!

To me, that master is a touch quiet, but it's also a bit too clean. I do really clean mixes, so by the time I get to mastering, I need to add a little saturation or it's just too clinical.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
wipeout
Sample Destroyer
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023647

Hi Guys,

I have a 3 way comparison now: Original Mix, LANDR Mastered mix, and Professional mix: Here are the 3:

Original:

Landr Paid (Medium Level):

Professional:

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010

To me, the pro sounds a bit better. They got some more texture and tone out of it than LANDR was able to pull off. Still a bit lean to me, but that's just preference.

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote