[Post rock/ industrial/ i don't know] VDB- This Is Not A Dance
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810
[Post rock/ industrial/ i don't know] VDB- This Is Not A Dance

So i havent been finishing much lately but have a bunch of ideas in this style I've been sitting on.
this one turned out well enough I think.
that said i am kinda biased
any critique would be great thx
Also any tips, beyond not sucking, to play live instruments over sequenced stuff would be cool, to make drums etc fit better and sound more natural.
cheers

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

edit: private share, don't be shy, click it it won't bite

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Post rock/ industrial/ i don't know] VDB- This Is Not A Dance.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
PeteVai has a spectacular aura aboutPeteVai has a spectacular aura about
Lisbon
MC Status: 160
Re: [Post rock/ industrial/ i don't know] VDB- This Is Not A Dance

This is the first Post-Rock submission I've seen since I've been around in IDMforums, so I'm pretty happy to see this.
Post-Rock is one hell of a difficult genre, takes a lot of work and dedication.
This is f^^^^ awesome dude !
As a Post-Rock hard fan, I am happy to hear this, the structure is really good, the sounds fit together and the progression is great, except that snare - I think it comes a bit too early.
Regarding the mixing, I would like to see a bit more push on the bass and the kick and probably.
Good job @ 2.50 with the kicks

Keep going dude !

------------------
PeteVai is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVai View Post
This is the first Post-Rock submission I've seen since I've been around in IDMforums, so I'm pretty happy to see this.
Post-Rock is one hell of a difficult genre, takes a lot of work and dedication.
This is f^^^^ awesome dude !
As a Post-Rock hard fan, I am happy to hear this, the structure is really good, the sounds fit together and the progression is great, except that snare - I think it comes a bit too early.
Regarding the mixing, I would like to see a bit more push on the bass and the kick and probably.
Good job @ 2.50 with the kicks

Keep going dude !
Thx a lot!
It's funny cuz just before uploading the track I went back to it to turn the bass down a bit!
I guess I might have been wrong?

------------------
Old 03-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
PeteVai has a spectacular aura aboutPeteVai has a spectacular aura about
Lisbon
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Thx a lot!
It's funny cuz just before uploading the track I went back to it to turn the bass down a bit!
I guess I might have been wrong?
Yes, maybe xD

------------------
PeteVai is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Sons of Achab
Soundwave Mangler
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
In a beautiful place out in the country
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
any critique would be great thx
Ok, first, I think there is a problem in your drum programming in the part that starts at 1min09, the placement of the kick is kind of weird. Also, for a post rock track I think the guitars are way too much back in the mix. The bass and the kick that start at 1min46 are too loud and the mix seems a little bit muddy maybe because of that (particularly with headphones).

Of course that's only my opinion, hope it can help!

------------------
Sons of Achab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535377
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,241 Posts

This is great! I agree that in the first half of the tune some of the kick drums are placed a bit odd, but the 2nd half w the double kick drum DELIVERS HARD. Mix is sounding great at least on my Senheisser cans, no monitors as I am in Copenhagen on tour today.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Thanks all.
So the kick thing, my octatrack had a HAL 9000 moment and the kicks came out like that on a few of the patterns. I kept it cuz I liked the odd feel but if it's no Bueno I might revisit that part.
I agree about the bass tho, I might need to work some more level automation to sort that out a bit. I feel mostly happy with the bass tone, but the levels are a little off for sure.
Thx all for the feedback.

------------------
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Toothpinch
Radial Developer
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1960

I do love me some post-rock.
Agreed, fix the kick..
and when you post it for real let me know so I can add to my playlist.

Advertisements

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote