Ableton Live 10!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860
Ableton Live 10!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It looks pretty good!
Edit: I am really pumped about the I/O naming feature, funny how it's the small things that get me excited in this update.

Last edited by jbvdb493; 02-11-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Vault O))) (07-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760
Re: Live 10!

Not a Live user, but took a look out of curiosity. First thought, seems like a weak update for such a milestone version as 10. I would've imagined them pulling something bigger out of their sleeves. But after thinking about it some more, maybe we are past the point of major breakthroughs in the current DAW paradigm. All of them have at least 80% of feature overlap. All of them are more than capable and provide more than any one user would ever need. So maybe it's natural that they'll just keep "stealing" smaller features from each other and just keep refining what's already there. Shit has been "good enough" for a pretty long time now.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
Artificer (03-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

I don't know what you could expect more, it's not cuz it's 10 that it's gonna be earth shattering.
The only 2 things that could make it better imo would be multi touch support as I am still curious by the Microsoft surface series of computers, and roli style poly after touch.
But the I/O naming, groups inside groups, better integration of max and better use of push for sequencing is big imo! At least for me.
Curious if a push 3 is on the horizon.

Last edited by jbvdb493; 03-11-2017 at 01:06 AM..

------------------
Old 02-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Features I'm looking forward to..............

"Note chasing -

Notes now trigger even if playback starts in the middle, so you don't need to start the clip from the beginning to hear a long pad, for example."

But most of all.............

"When saving a Live Set, the undo history is no longer cleared." - AT LAST!!!!!!!!

Pretty minor in the scheme of things but will make me happy.
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
MOODi
IDMf's latest spammer
MOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura about
Saskatoon
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexagon View Post
Features I'm looking forward to..............

"Note chasing -

Notes now trigger even if playback starts in the middle, so you don't need to start the clip from the beginning to hear a long pad, for example."

But most of all.............

"When saving a Live Set, the undo history is no longer cleared." - AT LAST!!!!!!!!

Pretty minor in the scheme of things but will make me happy.
Oh my lord, that's literally been one of the most annoying things as someone who constantly stops and starts his tracks while producing. I missed that feature so much from FL. Can't wait to download Live 10
MOODi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MOODi
Artificer (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33110

As a guy that sometimes (often-ish) has a drone or three going through an entire track, that Note Chasing looks like the bee's knees.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
lolirl (06-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #7
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115710
Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,352 Posts

im crying it's beautiful

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (07-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #8
project_null
IDMf's latest spammer
project_null will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Some interesting stuff (the new synthesizer is really interesting, the integration of max, create groups inside groups), but I don't think it was necessary to call this "Ableton 10" instead for "9.8".
project_null is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:40 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

Quickly watched the preview video on my phone today at work. I didn't get the feeling that this is a huge upgrade, however it does look like there are some useful improvements. I'll certainly be upgrading immediately. It has taken me the better part of 8 years to really wrap my head around Ableton but I'm now completely in love with it. It suits my creating style very well, especially when I added push to the setup.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1710

Hmm, looks like a good time to hop into the Ableton bandwagon. I've been toying with purchasing Suite for some time, but it's been a bit too expensive for me to buy it in a heartbeat.

20% off now and free update to Live 10 seems like a good deal.

I misread that they would have included Max4Live for all versions of Live, since The Verge writes that:

Quote:
One change you won’t see but will help with your CPU load: Max for Live is now fully built into Live 10. A programming environment that allows users to build their own instruments and effects, Max for Live was previously supported as an add-on product for purchase but will now come already integrated in the software itself.

But upon viewing Live 10 pricing at

it still seems to be a feature of just Suite.

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
Sons of Achab
Soundwave Mangler
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
In a beautiful place out in the country
MC Status: 3460

I can't believe I have to spend 200 more bucks to upgrade Live 9 to 10...

------------------
Sons of Achab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
SocialNumb
Soundwave Mangler
SocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MC
Boyton, WPB FL.
MC Status: 32849

I'd post all the text here but as you may be able to see, it's a lot of text.

Being new to Live coming from a long time of using Logic since version 4, 10 addresses many things that bother me as far as work flow goes. Simple things like nudge with a keyboard and multiple midi clip editing, to name a couple. Even without that, I've been getting along with it fine. To me Live feels like more of an instrument and that's why I switched in the first place. I'd like it stay that way personally. Though I do understand long time users concerns.

Last edited by SocialNumb; 03-11-2017 at 05:15 PM..

------------------
It's not that Im anti-social, I just don't like you!
SocialNumb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Achab View Post
I can't believe I have to spend 200 more bucks to upgrade Live 9 to 10...
Same here, but since they included some small things I have been hoping for (especially groups in groups, multiclip midi editing and better Max integration) and some new stuff, and I think the last major update was over 4 years ago, it's ok for me... The only thing I'm still waiting for is MPE support

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

Just to clarify, with Ableton, you buy a numbered version, like 9, and the upgrade to the next number will always be free, correct?

If so, I'd wait for the obvious introductory/holiday sale on 10 and get 11 free.

I see some stuff here that's neat for sure, and it's nice to see shiny new stuff and be excited about it (can't really say I've felt that way about FL studio in a while), but I don't see enough here to get me to learn a whole new daw. Still, Ableton is at the top of my list if I switch.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Just to clarify, with Ableton, you buy a numbered version, like 9, and the upgrade to the next number will always be free, correct?

If so, I'd wait for the obvious introductory/holiday sale on 10 and get 11 free.
Afaik this is only the case during special periods directly before release of the next numbered version. So you would have to wait until 11 or whatever comes next gets announced to get both if they stick to their pricing system.

Quote:
I see some stuff here that's neat for sure, and it's nice to see shiny new stuff and be excited about it (can't really say I've felt that way about FL studio in a while), but I don't see enough here to get me to learn a whole new daw. Still, Ableton is at the top of my list if I switch.
I wouldn't say 10 would justify learning a new DAW for the new features. Most DAWS can do most stuff nowadays... That said, I am currently using Bitwig 8-track additional to Live because Live does not support MPE (most of the time I use multiple tracks to come close to MPE functionality within Live, though) and I am still thinking about upgrading to BWS for MPE and the nice modulation features...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

That's only the case prior to the new update coming out, not for ever.

As for switching, you should switch to live for things like clip launch or the max devices if you go for live suite, etc. not for workflow improvements in a number update.

------------------
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535477
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,242 Posts

Renaming ports and being able to see more than one midi channel in the editor at a time seem to be the big ones for me, that said this update has me a little meh.

I mean, I'll need to upgrade for job so I'm definitely going to and I am a sucker for delays so I'm looking forward to checking out their new delay thingy but overall.... not an exciting update, for me anyways.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115710
Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,352 Posts

I agree. It feels it still lacks of something more ground-breaking and people basically label this being a version 9.9 for that reason. I really hope there's a better M4L implementation for Windows at least... New devices are nice, sure. UI design kind of shifts towards Bitwig look, imo.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 AM   #19
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

OMG Li e 10

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #20
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462608
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,849 Posts
Re: Ableton Live 10!

It's quite exciting, new colour schemes!

Glad they have new editing tools for the arranger view, it's what I use most...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote