BB66-Head in the Clouds
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 25-10-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8760
BB66-Head in the Clouds

Hey BB's this one is gonna be inspired by the lush wall of sound neo-pschedelia of genres like dream pop and shoegaze. You can stray into ambient, industrial, chillwave, coldwave, post-punk etc but keep a hefty amount of dreamy lush feel. I recorded my bass, guitar and shitty 80's keyboard so you should have enough to work with. Good luck with the drums

THE RULES

1. Let me hear that DELAY. Each piece should have a noticeable and essential use of delay. If you achieve a unique sounding delay, all the better.

2. Go hunting, come back with a vocal sample you can use for this. Or record one yourself.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You can use an additional VST or instrument if you wanna be like that :\

3. 80-130 BPM ; 3min minumum; 7min maximum

I encourage voters to view staying close to the genre requirements as an important consideration.
We encourage healthy discussion and feedback but please before you complain about the samples or the rules, remember that everyone having to work with the same challenges is the whole point of the bb's so just do your best with what you have and consider any curveballs a chance to learn something new.

THE SAMPLES

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Saturday.
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day Friday.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day Sunday.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Monday to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES HAVE CHANGED PEOPLE AND CHANGE IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478254
Re: BB66-Head in the Clouds

It's on like

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
brb (28-10-2017)
Old 25-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Nice..just downloaded the samples and will check em out shortly.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837227

Great BB bud. Will get my head into the samples tonight. Still no Maschine so will have to look into alternative existing samplers and wav editors
Maschine Mk3 due in the next 2 weeks, I hope.

Have fun all

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
7asid (25-10-2017)
Old 25-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

@ 7asid: Just one quick question..I know you mention the use of Delay is a MUST..and that we can use an additional VST or instrument if we "wanna be like that"..but where do other 3rd party FX stand, such a reverb and the likes? Do they fall under the "additional VST or instrument" you referred to, or are we free to use such utilities as we like or want?

Just wondering, as your answer is going to impact on the end results that end up being submitted in a big way and I think you need to be clear up front about this point, so everyone knows what they can and can't use for this one.

------------------
Old 25-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26010

This is right up the alley of what I've been doing on my own already.
This might be the first bb I take part in, I hope I will have the time!

Edit: so we can add only 1 instrument on top of the samples and that is all? Is that correct, plus drums?
And is that 1 track of said instrument? Or does that matter?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
@ 7asid: Just one quick question..I know you mention the use of Delay is a MUST..and that we can use an additional VST or instrument if we "wanna be like that"..but where do other 3rd party FX stand, such a reverb and the likes? Do they fall under the "additional VST or instrument" you referred to, or are we free to use such utilities as we like or want?

Just wondering, as your answer is going to impact on the end results that end up being submitted in a big way and I think you need to be clear up front about this point, so everyone knows what they can and can't use for this one.
As per usual bb rules all effects are ok to use, we're not all using the same DAW so I wouldn't put restrictions on weather effects are 3rd party or not.

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
A.M (25-10-2017)
Old 25-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
This is right up the alley of what I've been doing on my own already.
This might be the first bb I take part in, I hope I will have the time!

Edit: so we can add only 1 instrument on top of the samples and that is all? Is that correct, plus drums?
And is that 1 track of said instrument? Or does that matter?

You can only use the samples provided. You should try to use a vocal sample you've found yourself as per one of the rules but if you have too much trouble with that you can use one additional instrument instead. Drum wise, you gotta make do with what you can find in the samples provided.

------------------

Old 26-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

By the way if your vocals come from like sample pack where you gotta splice several one shots or phrases, I'm really ok with that. Go nuts.

------------------

Old 26-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
By the way if your vocals come from like sample pack where you gotta splice several one shots or phrases, I'm really ok with that. Go nuts.
You must have read my mind..I was just going to ask about that very thing! I'm using the audio from the old movie "The House on Haunted Hill", which is in public domain (..basically the late Vincent Price saying different stuff)..at east, that's the plan.

------------------
Old 27-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
A.M

OK..here's mine. I've called it Static You..mainly due to the white/pink noise in the background, from which subtle sounds come through in the mix..by design.

The vocals are obviously the late, great Vincent Price, taken from the audio of the movie "The House on Haunted Hill", the original of which is now in public domain..and I've itching to use his voice for a while now. In fact, I've a couple of tracks in the works feature his voice.

It's worth pointing out there's a couple of the vocal samples that clip..nothing that's going to blow the ears off you, but they clip all the same. There's nothing I can do about, due to the artifact being on the original audio. I tried messing around with the EQ and volume..as well as using "Click Removal" in Audacity, but what you hear here is the best I could get things to sound, without them vanishing into the mix completely.

Hope it's up to muster..and download is turned on, should anyone want to grab it.

------------------
Old 28-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Well manged to get some melodic beat, bass line, melody and vocals. Now to structure a track from them.
Dam I miss Maschine it makes sample editing, beat programming and pattern forming so much easier. Only a week to go for the replacement unit. NO have now revoked my license!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 28-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69886669

A.M that's wicked stuff. I recently watched that film on youtube... Creepy blind lady on a dolly scene is fucking awesome.

Shit, only 6 days to go.... Better start something!

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
A.M that's wicked stuff. I recently watched that film on youtube... Creepy blind lady on a dolly scene is fucking awesome.

Shit, only 6 days to go.... Better start something!
Thanks, man...really appreciate that. I was aware I banged it out pretty fast and I would have liked to had more time to polish it more, but life and stuff offline at the moment, so it is what it is I guess, but it could have been a little better I feel.

I've been wanting to use some audio from that movie for a long time, but never really got around to finishing a track with it on, even though I have a couple on the back burned. I think Vincent Price had a great sounding voice for sampling and, as far as I know, The House on Haunted Hill is the only one that you can legally use without any potential hassle.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm expecting some really cool stuff from the rest of you, as I know transformational wizardry you guys are able to do with samples, so whatever ye post up is going to be interesting to say the least. Really looking forward to listening to them..

------------------
Old 29-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Almost wrapped mine up. Surprises myself in learning a few new tools. Good stuff. BBS pushing you forward; *)

------------------
Old 29-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Pretty much done. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Last edited by MFXxx; 29-10-2017 at 02:12 PM..

------------------
Old 29-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3960

Some really interesting stuff here already you guys

I too am fiddling about with the audio files, but to be honest the results haven't exactly been encouraging so far, - and I keep getting George Michael singing "Careless Whisper" on my mind for some reason. I kind of miss the guy, but I think I need to do something to get my mind out of that groove.

In any case, - I'll make an effort to upload whatever I have at the end of the week.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Some really interesting stuff here already you guys

I too am fiddling about with the audio files, but to be honest the results haven't exactly been encouraging so far, - and I keep getting George Michael singing "Careless Whisper" on my mind for some reason. I kind of miss the guy, but I think I need to do something to get my mind out of that groove.

In any case, - I'll make an effort to upload whatever I have at the end of the week.
Nowt wrong with a little GM product in moderation, do it!

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Iyashi Sound (29-10-2017)
Old 29-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

BAYBEH!

Ahem, yeah, I'm struggling a bit with this one too. I'm a bit lazy and haven't actually edited any samples yet, just slicering on the fly in fls and making shonky Sleaford Mods type stuff... I expect something will emerge when I get round to isolating some single hits and loops.

Last edited by brb; 29-10-2017 at 08:23 PM..

------------------
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
brb
Commie SJW

I made the guit1 sample into a wavetable for flkeys, the most irrelevant of all the fruity synths!

It's not very good, but kind of cute with some strum edits, and you can do some aphexy detuning tricks if you like that sort of thing. Here it is, for those who want it:

Just unzip to your (fls)\Plugins\Fruity\Generators\FL Keys\Wavtables folder, or whatever it is in your version.

...Yeah and I'm still struggling with this one. Kind of procrastinating a bit. 2 days left, surely some flash of inspiration will come soon.

Advertisements

------------------