Promoting your Music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 17-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184
Promoting your Music

Hi all.

How does everyone normally go about promoting a new track?

All i do is whack it up on SC and post a link in the listening forum on here, and i maybe tag a few people on FB also.

I have used promotional sites before that use bots for SC hits which seem a bit pointless.

Do you have a successful way of promoting your tracks for little cost?

Advertisements

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Entox
Critical (11-11-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620
Re: Promoting your Music

After finishing a track (and deciding that it will be released as a single), I usually post it to some small labels and such. Sometimes they are interested, most often they are not.

Releasing a track on +5k follower label (with maybe 30-50% of them being bots) is way better than releasing a track on a <200 follower SC account. Most often they also post your track on their Youtube account also.

Also SubmitHub. I have had a couple small blogs interested in my tracks before, and while they have been pretty small blogs with not many followers, it's still better than nothing.

I'd say once you have large enough following you don't really need labels and blogs as much. But they do definetly help.

I hope I could help.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

HearThis.At has genre and subgenre interest groups. If you post up on that site, you can share with other people who are interested in the same types of music. SoundClown used to have it too, until they shot themselves in the foot, heard people's complaints, and as a response, shot themselves in the other foot.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3960

I'm largely dependant on working with record labels who're willing promote the music for me. The "promotion" part for me then, is about researching labels that might be the right fit for the kind of stuff I'm doing, and then writing them. Obviously the music has to be good, but being polite and patient is important too. Some places will ignore you even then, but I've been positively surprised as well.

I think it's worth remembering that even "big labels" these days are often run by very few people, and that a lot of them are actively looking for the next big thing to release already.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Duck Key
Regular Freak
Duck Key will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

@Entox I think the first thing to make sure is continue to make quality. The track in your Signature is awesome!

Then network, network, network!

the forum is a great way to reach out to people but do it on SC too!

comment on other tracks, share them etc. But I agree with the other guys smaller labels particularly will sign your tracks even with a small following. They will help and be an in road with other like minded artists.

You can then share each others work and even collab!
Duck Key is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #6
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
SoundClown used to have it too, until they shot themselves in the foot, heard people's complaints, and as a response, shot themselves in the other foot.
It depresses me every time I get reminded of this and was the best way to find other unknown talent at random. Now when you try and search the standard way, you are met by all well known artists so the only way to find unknowns is to look for people following or being posted on other people's pages/accounts.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimal Prime View Post
It depresses me every time I get reminded of this and was the best way to find other unknown talent at random. Now when you try and search the standard way, you are met by all well known artists so the only way to find unknowns is to look for people following or being posted on other people's pages/accounts.
I've fairly recently registered on HearThis.At and that they now DO have groups really is a great surprise. Pretty sure they didn't when I last looked at the site a while ago.

I DJ as well as produce music so the groups feature on SC really was very useful for discovering new artists. Also of course as mentioned by Duck Key above if you use all these on-line platforms to listen, connect and talk to other artists in a genuine way it does have a side effect of building up your own network. As opposed to only posting your own material and not interacting with, following or commenting on anyone else's music.

(writing generic stuff like "BIG TUNE" on random tracks just to get attention doesn't count BTW!!!! )

After using HearThis.At for a little while it really does feel like the early days on SC to me - that's in a good way. None of the groups seem to have more than a few hundred members at the moment. I've checked out and joined quite a few in genres that interest me and so far even the ones that aren't moderated don't appear to be filled with spammy tracks that don't fit the group's chosen genres, yet................... it will happen at some point though I'm sure.

In the long term I don't know how viable HearThis.At will be, or if it will end up being legally crippled like SC was, but at the moment seems like a fun (and free!) place to be.
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:58 AM   #8
Solotrip
IDMf's latest spammer
Solotrip is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Key View Post
@Entox I think the first thing to make sure is continue to make quality. The track in your Signature is awesome!

Then network, network, network!
This right here.

Find some producers in your city that make similar music, hit them up on facebook or soundcloud, and send them your unreleased tracks! Once you get talking about music online, you'll soon find yourself kicking it at shows or in the studio together. Do that with a few people, and you'll be surprised at how fast you'll be hanging out and gigging with all the people that make up whatever scene you are trying to get into! If your music is good, and you are a genuine person, you'll be invited to release on comps and labels that will surely get you more followers and listeners.

It's all about getting other people to promote your music on their channels (and you should do the same), and finding new places to get yourself heard. Otherwise, you are only reaching the people that already know who you are.
Solotrip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943181
Thanked 5,700 Times in 3,591 Posts

Put it up on all the social media accounts i have, TAGS TAGS TAGS. Seriously tag everything you can possibly tag in the description, the tag section and titles of the track. Youtube seems to be thriving as far as just generally getting something out there. Even instagram seems to be more effective than facebook these days due to FB having some terribly shitty poo poo page promotion policies and/or algorithms.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #10
Critical
Granular Poster
Critical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant futureCritical has a brilliant future
Redditch
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
Releasing a track on +5k follower label (with maybe 30-50% of them being bots)
Might sound a bit Naive, but are there seriously that higher % of Bot accounts following independent labels!? What purpose does it serve as the label itself will have completely misleading figures for its listeners or is there a beneficial reason behind it?

Really interesting thread.
Critical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
SaneTBP
Minor Glitch
SaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to all
Espoo
MC Status: 560

Really interesting thread indeed. What I've done so far is that I've posted my tracks on appropriate subreddits. Ones like WeAreTheMusicMakers and FutureBeatProducers are great for producers who want to get some feedback and maybe connect with fellow producers. Posting your tracks on other appropriate subs as proper posts also helps to get some people with similar interests around your stuff. It has gotten me some listeners along the way.
SaneTBP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SaneTBP
corwintrails (Yesterday)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
Might sound a bit Naive, but are there seriously that higher % of Bot accounts following independent labels!? What purpose does it serve as the label itself will have completely misleading figures for its listeners or is there a beneficial reason behind it?

Really interesting thread.
It's more appealing to the producers who submit the demos.

Adding to this, whenever one is scouting out a blog/label to send their tracks to, pay more attention to the actual plays/attention that the posted tracks are generating than the follower count.

Advertisements

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Johnson Academy
Critical (12-11-2017)