aux send choices on mixer - tips, tricks and troofs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts
aux send choices on mixer - tips, tricks and troofs

so if you were to perform a track live with a number of separate components running through a mixer and you only have one aux option... what do you go for, what have you gone for, whats the weirdest thing you've gone for, what works in this situation but doesn't in the other etc

reverb and delay are surely the standard effects that can work with almost everything and have a nice tail that will keep on going when you turn the send down.

I'm sure that there are a number of other effects/boxes/machines/things you can use SPECIFICALLY IN A LIVE SITUATION however and would love to hear some of your thoughts and/or previous results from experimentation

when I say 'performing live' I mean muting and unmuting parts, filtering and effecting parts to create an arrangement whether to record as the finished track itself or as a performance before other people. what can the aux send really do in this situation? cheers

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
lolirl (20-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts
Re: aux send choices on mixer - tips, tricks and troofs

depending on what sort of show you're playing - in the past during a phase of writing more industrial flavored IDM I put a distortion pedal on the aux send and rather than returning it to a aux return, i'd feed it to an input channel, creating feedback loops through a distortion pedal (that has a wide band sweepable midrange) was a SICK way to get really loud heavy sounds.

Once it was going (feeding back) introducing additional elements to the signal (ie drums or something) would create all of the fucked up harmonics, it got really interesting/out of hand really quickly.

not for the faint of heart.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
FunkMasterBrown (19-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
depending on what sort of show you're playing - in the past during a phase of writing more industrial flavored IDM I put a distortion pedal on the aux send and rather than returning it to a aux return, i'd feed it to an input channel, creating feedback loops through a distortion pedal (that has a wide band sweepable midrange) was a SICK way to get really loud heavy sounds.

Once it was going (feeding back) introducing additional elements to the signal (ie drums or something) would create all of the fucked up harmonics, it got really interesting/out of hand really quickly.

not for the faint of heart.
holy fuck man. not for the faint of heart at all! ive done this with a delay pedal... fed a bit of itself back into itself and it sounds much better until a point where suddenly its just a scream. from what I can tell you were going for the scream lol very brave. cheers

------------------
Old 19-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

it was half IDM half audience abuse.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (19-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

Sound Engineers Hate Him - click here for this amazing new technique!!

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

As an engineer (day job) I get special liberties.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Vault O))) (20-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Not really, and you're right. Hated.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Oatbag (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts

A looper could be interesting for improv.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9310

So way back when I was obsessed with live looping not using anything pre-recorded, I used to run all my instruments into a mixer and run two pre-fader aux sends into the Left and right of my looper (the looperlative lp1).

I'd then be able to route anything to the looper regardless of what else was happening live through the mixer.

The looper had 8 tracks that I could route to any of 4 outputs with different FX chains post output then returned on other faders.

That was my ultimate configuration of the live looping thing that pretty much let me do anything.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
relic (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3710

As someone who basically does all his stuff live to record, and having only 1 send, no returns on my mixer. It depends on what I'm doing, but the aux is conected to a Boss VF1 multi FX unit, then I usually channel me other gear through another FX unit and guitar pedals before they hit the mixer. The advantage of the guitar pedals over the FX processor, is that it's easier to turn them on and off and change parameters on the fly.
The Boss can do some pretty mean stuff, if a bit noisy at times. I need to get some more pedals though. Only problem is the spaghetti junction of cables you have to deal with.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #11
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Sound Engineers Hate Him - click here for this amazing new technique!!
It's one of those effects 'we' haven't discovered, isn't it?

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #12
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
As someone who basically does all his stuff live to record, and having only 1 send, no returns on my mixer. It depends on what I'm doing, but the aux is conected to a Boss VF1 multi FX unit, then I usually channel me other gear through another FX unit and guitar pedals before they hit the mixer. The advantage of the guitar pedals over the FX processor, is that it's easier to turn them on and off and change parameters on the fly.
The Boss can do some pretty mean stuff, if a bit noisy at times. I need to get some more pedals though. Only problem is the spaghetti junction of cables you have to deal with.
I know I sound like a pimp for the line6 helix, however I'll pimp some more. The thing is amazing for routing matrix alone. Four FX loops that you can place anywhere in a preset and move around per preset. Also the FX it has are great. Also can run two independent chains and route to different outputs.

I'm the guy who has an absurd collection of pedals and I'm a complete miserable gear snob. I could not believe how good this is. Only thing is the reverbs are just ok. No worries though because of the loops

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Dr. Sleaze (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

So I don't know if you know that this exists or not?

Rare as rocking horse shit and expensive, I heard Autechre were using one live at one point (mid 90's).
And of course, if you only have 1 aux send you probably need a new mixer before an auxpander but I thought you'd be interested in this anyway.

Quote:
AuxPander Auxiliary Expander
Traditionally, the number of auxiliary sends available on mixing consoles has been sufficient and proportional to the number of inputs needed for a given application. However, recent developments in audio technology have resulted in a significant increase in the number of audio components requiring auxiliary sends, beyond what many consoles have to offer. In many applications, the number of auxiliary outputs can equal, if not exceed, the number of inputs. The AuxPander® auxiliary expander is designed as a flexible and cost-effective way to address this issue. Each AuxPander is an insertable, 8x8, analog mixing matrix designed to expand the auxiliary output capabilities of any standard mixing console. Compact and transportable, the AuxPander is capable of mixing eight input signals and distributing them to any of the eight available outputs, in any combination, and at any volume level.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
FunkMasterBrown (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
So I don't know if you know that this exists or not?

Rare as rocking horse shit and expensive, I heard Autechre were using one live at one point (mid 90's).
And of course, if you only have 1 aux send you probably need a new mixer before an auxpander but I thought you'd be interested in this anyway.
oh snap! i got 6 sends, but.... the dubs i could make w this beauty. wow, mind reeling with the possibilities. (i have 2 rack fx units w 4 ins and 4 outs, as well as a load of stereo in/out units)

lol.. probably a GREAT way to mud up a mix (im already good at that)

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

I don't really understand how it works oops :/

Advertisements

------------------