Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
uptick
IDMf's latest spammer
uptick will become famous soon enoughuptick will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?

Hi guys, As a beginner and aspiring electronic music producer, I was wondering if anyone might know any good books or learning materials that talks about the process of making a song?

Starting from the base idea, to coming up with the instruments/samples to use, the chords/bass, the melody, layering and the techniques involved in structuring everything into the final product.

Or perhaps something that teaches you how to properly dissect and analyze a song?

As someone new to music making, melody seems to be something that comes very naturally for me, as I can listen to a song or a beat and just start improvising melodies off it (I used to whistle along to songs since as young as I could remember, maybe that played a part) , but as an inexperienced music maker, I have a hard time with pretty much everything else.

That means, 1, coming up with the chords, chords progression, 2, thinking up all the instruments and songs to incorporate into the songs. 3, layering of all these instruments on top of each other.

Was just wondering if anyone might know of a good book, youtube video, or even paid content that have helped you in this department.

Or if you have any tips you would like to share, that would be wonderful as well!

Advertisements

uptick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310
Re: Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?

Check out these threads.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I know a music teacher, and something he gets his students to do is pick a song, and then make a new song that follows the same movement, like "Drums start here, bass starts here, bridge here" so on. They do that a few times, then make a track using different parts of what they learned. The new songs doesn't have to sound good, it just shows his students how to arrange a composition, and it seems to work really well for them.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39510
Re: Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?

Music Theory For Computer Musicians pretty much covers this, IIRC (it's been a while)

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463455

This was the book where a lot clicked for me and while I'd read a lot of the techniques before, it made it all click.

Probably a bit dated with regards to it's reference points and while the stuff it talks about is universal you might not get the same revelations if you don't like house or techno.

I'm tempted to pick up this which appears to be Attack modernising it somewhat, I'm not sure how much is carried over. Attack is a great site though, so I'm sure it will be of quality and worth having a look at their tutorials anyway.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1710

I have personally never found need to read models about music, rather what I've done is listen to stuff that I like and imitate. Or try out stuff myself and decide what I like and what I don't. What I then end up with is the stuff that I liked.

I don't think it's necessary to even understand much music theory in order to make music. The theory can be used to assist that process (and it can be recalled anytime one needs it, so no need to memorize), but it doesn't tell "how to write good music / how to write music that I like". And there are several if not an infinite amount of models for "good music".

The most important thing should, I think, be to develop a musical ear (so that you know what sounds "musical") and also develop your taste (so that you know things that you like and things that you don't like, these will guide your production decisions).

Another thing that helps making music is to understand the "palette" of your instruments, effects and other gear thoroughly. The palette will determine "what kind of textures, movements etc. do you have at your disposal". It can be compared to how an instrument player (e.g. a guitarist) understands, what kind of tones and textures and even rhythms can he attain from his guitar rig.

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310

My last tip is if you're wondering ho to make a certain bass sound, try a lowpassed square wave.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
Vault O))) (02-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
jcar
IDMf Supporter
jcar is just really nicejcar is just really nicejcar is just really nicejcar is just really nice
San Diego, CA
MC Status: 360

These are some things that have helped me with theory along my way.
I've stuck to Mostly books, most could have costs associated with them.

Ravenspiral Guide to Music Theory

And all of the comments above. And probably all the comments below.

Advertisements

------------------
jcar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote