When to send to labels
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
When to send to labels

Hey again folks,

I was just wondering if anyone had any good thoughts about when to send to labels? This isn't about finding appropriate labels.

I have read that some labels like you to have some sort of following and others saying that it doesn't really matter, thats what their for (exposure) do labels like releasing EP's or single tracks? Is that label specific?

The second part of this question is, if the time is right, whats the best method. I know many labels have submitting email/Soundcloud addresses to send to.

1. Should I have 1 or 2 songs uploaded waiting in private link, to send to labels?
2. Should I send to multiple labels at once?

thanks guys

Advertisements

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: When to send to labels

Only to 1 label each time.

I would just send 1 track, these labels get release offers daily, so make a very on-point email about who you are and why this album is good and why their label.

Not sure when is the right time, when you feel you have an album you'd love to hear from someone else I guess.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
Only to 1 label each time.

I would just send 1 track, these labels get release offers daily, so make a very on-point email about who you are and why this album is good and why their label.

Not sure when is the right time, when you feel you have an album you'd love to hear from someone else I guess.
yeah I guess there is no point in sending all you got, if all the time they have is to listen to one (if that)
Its a hard game we must play haha

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts

I think the better advice is to go to the label website and if they have submission guidelines, follow those. Not every label wants only one song, even if they do get lots of submissions everyday. Also, spend the time to write a proper email. Don't just shotgun blast your tracks all over the place, submit to labels whose music you actually know and love. You don't have to go overboard fan boi mode, but demonstrating you know a bit about the label helps.

I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who has been involved with several literary magazines (fiction, poetry and the like). I know the music business is somewhat different, but the more I learn quite analogous.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115710
Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,352 Posts

find labels that match your style of music, more of less. Go to their website, if there's "we do not accept demos", move on, maybe you will catch with them later. Depends on a label, but most prefer full EP/LP demos, some might offer a help with mastering/album art but after they dig your demo submission. Be casual, don't go too formal, let music speak for itself. Before submitting your demo, check label's latest releases and compare your own stuff with them and try to decide if your music would fit in their catalog and if it's in a same level composition and production wise. Use dropbox/soundcloud for your full demo so they could preview stuff from it without need of downloading.
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think the better advice is to go to the label website and if they have submission guidelines, follow those. Not every label wants only one song, even if they do get lots of submissions everyday. Also, spend the time to write a proper email. Don't just shotgun blast your tracks all over the place, submit to labels whose music you actually know and love. You don't have to go overboard fan boi mode, but demonstrating you know a bit about the label helps.

I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who has been involved with several literary magazines (fiction, poetry and the like). I know the music business is somewhat different, but the more I learn quite analogous.
Yeah, I have been doing my research between - Soundcloud/facebook etc. getting names and submission email contacts. I have been producing my latest stuff in both the genres that I love and the labels I love. So trending carefully and wisely I will start sending them off

haha I bet then get a ridiculous amount of submissions each day, hard job lol.
as always great bit of advice relic, cheers

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
find labels that match your style of music, more of less. Go to their website, if there's "we do not accept demos", move on, maybe you will catch with them later. Depends on a label, but most prefer full EP/LP demos, some might offer a help with mastering/album art but after they dig your demo submission. Be casual, don't go too formal, let music speak for itself. Before submitting your demo, check label's latest releases and compare your own stuff with them and try to decide if your music would fit in their catalog and if it's in a same level composition and production wise. Use dropbox/soundcloud for your full demo so they could preview stuff from it without need of downloading.
Like I said this post was not so much the labels that I have in mind because I have been researching for a while. It was more the best method, like do I hold them in a private link on SC etc, so they will be the first to hear

thanks

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Mattem
Minor Glitch
Mattem will become famous soon enough
MANCHESTER
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmegav View Post
Hey again folks,

I was just wondering if anyone had any good thoughts about when to send to labels? This isn't about finding appropriate labels.
t:
Good Question - I'm keen to hear what the forum has to say on this as am working on a demo (isn't everyone!?)
Mattem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattem View Post
Good Question - I'm keen to hear what the forum has to say on this as am working on a demo (isn't everyone!?)
it can be hard to know where to look when some articles say one thing and others contradict that one

Ano right aren't we all.......yep haha

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

The answer to when is almost always 'when you have a marketable package'. That's package, not product. What that means is that you're not still deciding on a name, you're not hunting around for artwork, you're not kinda sorta on the fence as to whether these songs are good enough, you're not just about to get started putting your music on Bandcamp and Spotifty and CDBaby and all those other blogs and services, you're not still trying to market two completely different types of music under the same name, and you're probably not trying to break 1000 followers on whatever place you hang around.

The long and the short is that labels don't want to spend a lot of money on you before they start making money off you. The more of a 'package' you create before you get to them, the easier it is for them to market and sell you to their contacts. The days of finding the next star playing in the back of a club or strumming at the coffee shop is pretty much over. The tools for at least the start of success are out there and freely available, and most labels figure if an artist can't be bothered to use them to get their career going, they're not worth investing time and effort in. That's true of tiny little noise/avant garde labels all the way to the Big Boys.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

7 years ago I signed 5,6 songs for 2 labels. I have few songs on beatport and have no idea where else even today.
What I did back in a day is i sent bunch of emails to labels related to house music, and they just answered back. It can be 1 song, it can be 3,4 songs, doesn't matter. As long as they like your music they will contact you.

Havent been producing for 6 years now, month ago started again, Soon I'll might go in a search of a label too, I'll have 3,4 songs ready for a release.
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
EggplantPurple
Minor Glitch
EggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to behold
Toronto/Tkaronto
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

Thanks this is helpful. I'm finding the labels search totally overwhelming. Most don't have good guidelines on their sites. I figured you'd have to have a full multi-song "demo" together so this idea of submitting one song only is a big surprise too, but I guess it makes sense given how little time people have and how damn much product there is out there for them to consider!

Advertisements

EggplantPurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote