How much should I charge for synthesizer lessons?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610
How much should I charge for synthesizer lessons?

In another forum somebody has contacted me about syntheziser lessons, referring to a post I had made about my plans to give syntheziser lessons. The person is in town for a few days and wants to come see me on one day and possibly on the next two days as well, and he wants to know what this will cost him. I am really not sure about how much I should charge. Do any of you know how much money other people take for lessons? Is it better to charge by the hour or in total?
I would very much appreciate some help, thank you.

Advertisements

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760
Re: How much should I charge for synthesizer lessons?

When I gave guitar lessons, I charged $40-$60/Hr. I found that charging in hour segments works out best, but not so that you can charge extra. Instead, if I was having fun and it was over an hour then it would be free. If I wasn't having fun and it was over an hour, I would remind them that it would be extra $$ if we kept on going.

I am not sure what synth lessons would entail, but I am interested to hear about how this goes! Keep us posted.
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SadSandwich
Schnork (27-08-2016)
Old 26-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181110
Thanked 3,622 Times in 2,701 Posts

Yeah..I'm with SadSandwich on this..I'd say about $50 per hour is about right.

Mind you, it really does depend on the format of your teaching..meaning are you going to sit down and walk this person through the basics?..or are you going to give them handouts, links and other materials? If so, then maybe charging a higher one-time fee might be better and promote it as a complete course, rather than individual lessons.

The main benefit of offering a course is it frees you from the one-on-one thing that lessons demand of your time. A course on the other hand,is basically everything up front, in one box they can go through at their own pace.

You can of course offer follow-up support with a course, too..so it's not like they are left out in the cold to figure everything out for themselves.

In the end, I guess it comes down to which you like better..but if it is lessons you're going with, then..yeah..about $50 per hour should be about right.

Best of luck with it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Schnork (27-08-2016)
Old 26-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538380
Thanked 6,949 Times in 4,943 Posts

While I see AM's points...I think it is easier to charge by the hour until you get a sense of what you are willing/able to provide service wise and what makes people happy. In a per hour scenario I feel like there is probably less chance you'll end up arguing with an unhappy customer over price. If they feel like you aren't worth a damn they should have bailed in the first hour or two right? They should be watching the clock and evaluating what they are getting out of it.

I'd also make sure to have a minimum one hour charge.

While designing a course on paper is one thing, I don't think people will be willing to pay a ton of money for something like that these days. Personally, if I were going to pay for guidance at this point, I'd want one on one face time with the gear and music in front of us, not a book or a video. Just a thought.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Schnork (27-08-2016)
Old 27-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535427
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,242 Posts

you should charge them whatever the equivalent of $100USD is and give them a link to IDMF.

/micdrop

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538380
Thanked 6,949 Times in 4,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
you should charge them whatever the equivalent of $100USD is and give them a link to IDMF.

/micdrop
And tell them to PM Evelon...lol

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535427
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,242 Posts

even better

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

I think it also depends on the standard of living where you live. I live in a pretty poor area, so I work with people around here. Also teach in a rich area, where I am more merciless. I might just look up some people in your area and charge what they charge.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,902 Posts

depends on how skilled you are.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
brb (31-10-2016)
Old 28-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

This depends a lot. Yes, a lot of people charge around $50/hour, but most people also hold around 1-2 hour sessions at maximum. If they also assign "homework", or things to practice between sessions, this is a much more efficient method of teaching than a few days of intense training. They are also incurring costs (both money and time) of transit for each lesson. I'd assume that eight-hour-sessions would end up costing less/hour by default.

Apart from that, what gear and what skills you have? Are you a skilled keyboardist, and if so in what genres. A good Jazz keyboardist might be able to charge more than a skilled rock/pop keyboardist, because Jazz is "high musacs". Gear of course plays a part, if you have a few really nice synthesizers and can demonstrate different techniques on them, that is obviously a bonus. What experience do you have teaching? At least in Finland, most music teachers have a degree in music pedagogy, which obviously makes people more comfortable handing out money.

But yeah, 30-60€/hour. Less only if you're organizing lessons in large bulk and have basically no gear or travel expenses. More if you're a famous synth superstar with walls of modular.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Charge em the same as a piano teacher in your area. Never charge less than you need to make though.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Yeah that's what I'll do - Thanks guys!
Old 30-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Charge what you think is fair. Then, if you get overbooked, raise your prices, and repeat
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

i assume this is done now. what did you charge? and more importantly what did you teach?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts

I'm curious about that too, what did you cover during your classes?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #16
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8560

2 bucks

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I would say, 25-50 dollars per hour is just the golden mean.
PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PrimeSuspect
Daggit (05-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #18
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of light
Athens
MC Status: 460

You can teach me some stuff through skype for free and then i'll let you know how much you should charge other people heheh. JK of course. Depends where you live. Since in Germany (and more specifically Berlin) music production is at its best and everyone makes a fair amount of money, you could even charge 50 euros per hour. But in general i think around 25 euros would be a good amount for all this knowledge. Even poor guys would pay that money considering all colleges for music production are freaking expensive.

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/nosferatu
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
Schnork
Deep Underground

Guy was here, we basically covered the basic workflow of Ableton Live and then I showed him how I'd start a new track.
Then he had lots of questions ofc. Tried to answer them and after that was done he tried to play with Live and recorded some stuff.
After that we plugged his Virus TI Desktop in and had some fun.
2 hours of teaching/2 hours talking/jamming/etc. - He gave me 50€ and asked if that was ok.
He plays in a christian band, they also play lots of concerts in churches so not what I expected^^

I didn't really start teaching yet, our cat keeps us busy as well as other stuff in live - also I think people are more interested in learning a daw. Don't think there are many people interested in synthesizer lessons in my city....

Anyways, I found out music lessons are usually 15 €/h here.
We moved from Frankfurt to Leipzig few years ago. Frankfurt is a rich city compared to Leipzig, music lessons are usually 30-40€/h there...

I thought about teaching Ableton Live, but that needs much more planning than teaching synthesis so...we'll see.
My wife and me are pretty busy with that animal protection stuff we're involved these days.

Last edited by Schnork; 03-10-2017 at 10:34 AM..

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Old 03-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

I'll just add some perspective on what's been said here.

I think that looking at what other people charge in the area is a good start, but I don't think that you should try and charge top dollar if this is your first teaching experience. Also, some of these music teachers probably have a degree (if not multiple degrees) in music, or music education. Especially the ones teaching the 'higher forms' of music (i.e. classical instruments). So they can charge a higher base rate.

I charge $40/hr for private consulting/lessons - less than that if its a long term arrangement, or I find the work compelling. More than that if there is travel involved, or if there's other factors making the job more difficult (deadlines, scheduling conflicts, etc.)

I think you're right about there being less of a market for straight up synthesis lessons. I think conceptualizing it them general music production lessons might cast a wider net.

Advertisements

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dataf1ow
Daggit (05-10-2017)