Boards of Canada Music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110
Boards of Canada Music

I'm looking to make some more ambient\lo-fi\retro music that is in the style of Boards of Canada. I was wondering what sort of drum samples I can get that would be in their style that aren't from the Roland Tr's. Thanks.

Edit: What are some good drum samples that sound classic, but aren't the Roland Trs?

Last edited by Aphexbeats; 10-10-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Massive Attack
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193
Re: Boards of Canada Music

Honestly? I'm trying to emulate their chord nature. It fits into what I'm trying to learn key-wise. I'm definitely not trying to knock getting drum hits but I think hitting the mark on the one track I'm just deeply in love with is all about two things overall.

Finding the chords, layering them. Or separating them into 2 or 3 instruments. Possibly even octaves or keys apart. The noise bit over the top that may play the same actual progression as the chords, whether it is or isn't related. Just like with most of these "newer" groups, opposite of the way I work, they seem to take large chunks or build the chunks, post production. Seemingly with multiple live jams which I love to do with my hardware stuffs. I could be completely wrong

However, I don't usually have a plan, I don't know if they do, I don't know how they actually produce these things that I love. Lately, I build a bit of junk. It doesn't work out and I then go "reboot mode" and build keys, even if that was my initial step because I bore myself with crap.

I'm not going to assume I know anything at all. However, I don't think the drums spell out where I'm going with the stuff I hear.

I could be totally wrong.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
DroneLocker
Granular Poster
DroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really nice
Land of Rust and Moss
MC Status: 410

wish you luck, sadly i don't know how i could help.
I love BoC. I really would welcome something in their style with arms wide open.
DroneLocker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I love BoC.

But BoC has already done BoC so why would you want to do it again?

What you should do is experiment with some tape efx on your drum track. When you hear something you like run with it. Hopefully it won't be exactly what you're looking for because, again, exactly what you are looking for has been done already.

Done pretty damn good at that. No need to set yourself up for failure and there's no failure in a sound that's yours.

Protip: BoC also uses things like reel to reel tape recorders and mangled tape.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
DroneLocker (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
DroneLocker
Granular Poster
DroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really niceDroneLocker is just really nice
Land of Rust and Moss
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
But BoC has already done BoC so why would you want to do it again?
Well said.
DroneLocker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

wow, flutter, drift, warble, sidechain compressed noise, noise LFO on pitch, detune, degradation, drumloops played at lower pitch/speed, formanted and timestretched samples of kids talking, etc

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
wow, flutter, drift, warble, sidechain compressed noise, noise LFO on pitch, detune, degradation, drumloops played at lower pitch/speed, formanted and timestretched samples of kids talking, etc
Perfect description. Simply perfect.

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to EatTheFood
Evelon (09-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Honestly? I'm trying to emulate their chord nature. It fits into what I'm trying to learn key-wise. I'm definitely not trying to knock getting drum hits but I think hitting the mark on the one track I'm just deeply in love with is all about two things overall.
They love chromaticism, "jazzy" chords, and inventive modern sounding chord patterns, that's for sure! I think that this is one thing that is missing in a lot of "BoC" clones, the deep knowledge of chords and leads they have. Would be tough to beat some of the riffs they came up with. (Coming up with nice chord patterns is a good exercise even if you are not trying to make BoC music).

BOC style drum sounds I think would be relatively easy to get right, it's sample based loop stuff with occasional reverses, detune, pitch speed adjustments, etc.

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1860

Lots of good advice here. It's definitely all about the composition, this involves chord progressions that cleverly evolve over whole tracks, including the correct use of harmony to match these sequences. On the production side of things its a bit more complex, it's kinda been said but what you want is the sound of old tape, I use Waves's Kramer MPX tape emulator and i love it. but it's also about good source, the slight detune is a trick that is often overlooked but can work wonders for unsettling sounds and melodies. As far as drums go, their drums vary in style and sound that I think it would be very hard to define BoC's drums.

Incorporation not imitation

Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Damn it people, I'm just asking about some samples they use or drum machines that aren't Roland Trs...Not WHAT chord structures, or techniques, whatever. I know chord structure and I know how to make music, I just don't know drum machine samples as well outside of Roland samples\vengeance packs.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
Damn it people, I'm just asking about some samples they use or drum machines that aren't Roland Trs...Not WHAT chord structures, or techniques, whatever. I know chord structure and I know how to make music, I just don't know drum machine samples as well outside of Roland samples\vengeance packs.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
Drum *machines* I think is the wrong way to approach this. Drum *loops* is where it's at. They reportedly use one of the Akai S series machines a lot, the Akai S1000 is mentioned in an interview for instance. Reportedly they create or find the drum sounds and then either play them or step sequence them.

So you learn to make good analog drums (many analogs can do them), sample and manipulate them, find interesting digital drum samples, find other samples to use rhythmically, learn how to manipulate one of those sample-based drum machines real good, make your own loops and manipulate that, etc. As someone points out below, they also probably "lifted" some loops too.

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538380
Thanked 6,949 Times in 4,943 Posts

As Evelon and electrodevo point out I think its more about the treatment of the drums than the source.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

According to BOC themselves, most of the drums are real drums played and recorded by them and then fucked with to get the sounds they want. (obviously things such as choice of mic, tape, preamps etc etc etc factor largely in their sound).

And seriously mate, we could do without the attitude, fucking go out and look for stuff yourself you lazy prick.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

And I was drunk...totally rambled...not about what you asked.

I'm retarded.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

that's awesome

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 22-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531801

The New Wave's J37 Tape plugin has a preset called "Pads of canada"

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #18
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
The New Wave's J37 Tape plugin has a preset called "Pads of canada"
ouch $149 on sale!

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 25-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Quote:
ouch $149 on sale!

Yes it does.......and its actaully quite nice..

its under the Delay presets area...just double checked..

Last edited by Str8Jaketed; 25-10-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: checked my J37 plug so I wasn't a liar.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1860

Quote:
They're drums are heavily stylised but vary greatly, compare the drums in tracks like Dayvan Cowboy to those on '84 Pontiac Dream and it's clear that they vary from manipulated drum machines to big, crashing live drums. I have often tried to craft similar drums to them and it's definitely a right mission. You just have to keep searching through drums you can sample and manipulate because only experimentation will result in anything like those great drums they produce. Patients is the key my friend.

Advertisements

Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote