[dark ambient / witchy] Jacobs Ladder WIP - Phantom Signal
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 19-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460
[dark ambient / witchy] Jacobs Ladder WIP - Phantom Signal

Work in progress but I have heard it too much. Be a dear and lend me your ears, won't you?

Here's the idea behind it. You're on a really bad one...maybe you're even going crazy...but then again, maybe that's just what the doctor ordered. Submission is domination.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PhantomSignal
Alert (31-03-2015)
Rate this track - [dark ambient / witchy] Jacobs Ladder WIP - Phantom Signal.
Old 20-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360
Re: [dark ambient / witchy] Jacobs Ladder WIP - Phantom Signal

I found this very interesting to listen to, both from a sound perspective but also structurally. The subtle buildup of soundscapes was very nice. I also found the mixdown very pleasing and balanced.
It's very ambient though and there isn't anything to remember in there... it's more evocative of a general mood or feeling/state-of-mind and does not conjur up anything specific for me. That may be a good thing though - it might be something that would work very well together with images/film...

------------------
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
I found this very interesting to listen to, both from a sound perspective but also structurally. The subtle buildup of soundscapes was very nice. I also found the mixdown very pleasing and balanced.
It's very ambient though and there isn't anything to remember in there... it's more evocative of a general mood or feeling/state-of-mind and does not conjur up anything specific for me. That may be a good thing though - it might be something that would work very well together with images/film...
First thanks for the listen and taking the time to write. I am glad you found it interesting and pleasing.

Yes, it's pretty damned ambient, LOL, which is what I was after. I was worried that it went on too long without "doing a lot" but, I really do want it to be something that can be completely ignored or, engrossing should the right state of mind and setting find you hearing it. Definitely just going for a feeling and sparse-ness, space. I think I do have more work to do with it for sure. Right now there's some fairly intense effects automation going on but I am not sure whether that is necessarily evident which, again, could be a bad thing or a good thing.

Also, I feel that when the sine bass comes in, it's too loud. Any thoughts on that?
Old 20-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
tomkillsjerry
Analog Lurker
tomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to behold
Dallas tx
MC Status: 760

very cinematic work i like this kind of slow fall in to the dark kind of song. i would say it need movement maybe a like reversed gong or bit crushed snare every 8 or 16 bars would be cool. def could see it used in video.
tomkillsjerry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
Sonoma /San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkillsjerry View Post
i would say it need movement maybe a like reversed gong or bit crushed snare every 8 or 16 bars would be cool. def could see it used in video.
Yeah, I've been thinking about putting some less subtle punctuation (Other than just effects / parameter controls) in there but have not found anything that I like or that doesn't break up the mood. I'll keep looking.

Last edited by PhantomSignal; 20-03-2015 at 11:43 PM..
Old 31-03-2015, 04:57 AM   #6
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

I don't think it necessarily needs more movement, since it is an ambient track, and it can be difficult to incorporate that without breaking the mood.

I do get a sense of peace from the track as it draws to an end. I think you did a good drop portraying your concept in a way that anyone should be able to relate to. That's good art to me.

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271

really digging the filtered/muffled voices being used as an atmospheric element

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

Nice use of your filters man! this is a very well constructed ambient piece. Nice and dark just my style, I love how it builds and starts to hint at some melodic phrases but maintains its ambient-sphere. This track actually takes my mind to a lot of different spectrums throughout its course
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSignal View Post
Yes, it's pretty damned ambient, LOL, which is what I was after. I was worried that it went on too long without "doing a lot" but, I really do want it to be something that can be completely ignored or, engrossing should the right state of mind and setting find you hearing it. Definitely just going for a feeling and sparse-ness, space.
The first thing that went out the window was my analytic thinking, and usually that's a good thing for me. Instead I just went on a ride, in a rowboat (without oars) down a peaceful little stream in forest during the summer.
Great job! I like it!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
Sonoma /San Francisco

Thank you all so much for your listening and positivity.

Advertisements