I'm totally wondering - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 27-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #41
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181410
Thanked 3,628 Times in 2,704 Posts
Re: I'm totally wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Nice post! ^^^

I like to create. I could take a pack of children's crayola crayons and use them for a landscape. Sure it may take a little more work to manipulate the medium but with the right vision, layering, and form it could be stunning. I think the real art comes in with what you do with your tools and mediums.

On a funny note...I was teaching an art class the other day (I sub for teachers). It was interesting to see how the class approached their project. Half the class did not know how to start and needed ideas, 1/4 of the class were trying to copy their neighbor (I heard the complaints). I would say out of the entire class only 5 kids were original and creative. 2 of the kids were incredible artists.

I think this relates to the creative world in many ways. Most people just don't know how to be creative...and their only option is to copy.
Good post yourself.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #42
Noaii
Analog Lurker
Noaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud ofNoaii has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110

That is a nice perspective And it is fine to copy and do whatever, but if you're gonna call it art, then at least put your heart in it.

------------------
Noaii is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Noaii
Kvlt O))) (27-01-2014)
Old 27-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #43
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181410
Thanked 3,628 Times in 2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noaii View Post
That is a nice perspective And it is fine to copy and do whatever, but if you're gonna call it art, then at least put your heart in it.
My point exactly.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: black flag
Old 27-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #44
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

a good idea to make those differences really stand out is to think

"if i met the person who made this, what could she/he tell me about their workflow/ideas/processes and what could i possibly learn from it"

after 2 years of "producing" i started to check out the net for some tutorials or studio sessions from musicians/producers and thats when i saw this difference. some of those are ridiculously bad and you get literally nothing from them ("arranging" vengeance samples in a cracked fl studio version) while others gave me a lot of ideas (those were usually more cryptic and you had to work out WHAT they were actually doing).

so, while maybe getting a few hints from other videos/tutorials/interviews, the real interesting stuff that stays with me comes from other sources.

an example? in an old interview (warp 100 "show" on a german music tv programme, from the time when those were actually good) autechre plays around on a laptop with a program that kinda looks like granulab and the sounds they play back are very granular. that made me pick up on that little proggie again, and boy this little clumsy tool is awesome in itself and led to countless experiments and great sounds. will keep me busy for months.

(i later noticed it couldnt have been granulab because of horizontal sliders... maybe wavelab? iunno, thanks german editor for going overboard with blur effects)

tl;dr i get you op, and as others said its neither bad nor good, magix music maker and vengeance loops are a necessary thing because its a business. i would like to see one of those artists fight their way back out of their creative corner tho (wont happen) - i see them more as "users" than "creators". 2 cents - cheers!

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
You say that like anything can't be learned. Anyone can learn to compose, right?
Anyone can learn to paint, right? Well, yes. To varying degrees. Some people just paint better than others. Some people might paint pretty pictures that for all the craftsmanship put into them aren't worth looking at, and others can capture your attention with something that resembles someone having defecated on the canvas. Likewise, anyone can chain notes together and add counterpoints and modulations, but it just might not be great nonetheless.

Anyone can learn art, right?

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #46
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Anyone can learn to paint, right? Well, yes. To varying degrees. Some people just paint better than others. Some people might paint pretty pictures that for all the craftsmanship put into them aren't worth looking at, and others can capture your attention with something that resembles someone having defecated on the canvas. Likewise, anyone can chain notes together and add counterpoints and modulations, but it just might not be great nonetheless.

Anyone can learn art, right?
Exactly. It's like when people think that they can make money by writing a novel and hitting the bestseller list. After all, if you're literate then you know how to write, so you should be able to write a novel no problem, right?

Yeah, well, to even get published you have to go up against the very best out there, so you kind of need to be one of the best yourself just to get noticed. At some point talent comes into play, that's the elephant in the room here. It's not so much a matter of having talent or not having it, it's a matter of how much you have to work with and what you learn to do with it. But everyone has a limit to their potential somewhere.
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #47
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Yeah, but good production isn't all that common either. I'm not counting people who layer vengeance hits or steal presets. Both are very challenging.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote