Tutorial: How to add variation to your drum loops
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 21-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947
Tutorial: How to add variation to your drum loops

Hey guys,

I just finished a brand new tutorial on how to add variation to your drum loops. I hope you find it helpful and if you do please share it

Cheers,
Ryan

Advertisements

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
joshleejohnson
Regular Freak
joshleejohnson is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Tutorial: How to Add Variation to Your Drum Loops

Thank you for the advice mate. I honestly find it quite difficult to add variation to percussion, especially in electronic music. Any percussion I record/create always ends up sounding like one constant loop. The way you put together your percussion is interesting, is it all sample based? I've only recently started trying to incorporate heavy electronic elements into my music, but I've only used VST's for percussion thus far. Would you say using samples has an advantage?
joshleejohnson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947

I wouldn't call using samples an advantage. You have to use what sounds right for the song, whether it be MIDI or samples. There are some great drum VSTs out there; Superior Drummer to name one. What I often use is single-hit samples combined with loops. And often I will cut up those loops and rearrange them to make them more unique. It's a combination of using variation, layering, and I guess having good taste. And part of that taste comes with experience.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
joshleejohnson
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllix View Post
There are some great drum VSTs out there; Superior Drummer to name one.
Superior Drummer was my VST of choice, I've heard nothing but good things. I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I'm not exactly new to creating percussion electronically per se, I have years of experience with Ableton, but my music is taking a turn where I'd much rather be creating it with a much heavier electronic element, and keeping the originality. Do you use Superior Drummer, and, if you do, how easy do you think it will for someone like myself to adapt "real instrument" skills, into electronic music?
Old 27-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts

I prefer working w audio rather than MIDI in general...but when you bounce your drums to audio basic variation is just a matter of chopping and arranging the basic drum pattern youve made. I usually program my drums with Maschine anywhere from a 16 to 64 bar loop...then I bounce each sound as a full length track of audio. After that I chop and arrange those loops in my DAW.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
joshleejohnson
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I usually program my drums with Maschine anywhere from a 16 to 64 bar loop...then I bounce each sound as a full length track of audio. After that I chop and arrange those loops in my DAW.
Any reason? Just purely because you like the sound of Maschine, but prefer working with audio rather than MIDI?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshleejohnson View Post
how easy do you think it will for someone like myself to adapt "real instrument" skills, into electronic music?
I think using midi is the easiest to transfer "real instrument" skills into the electronic realm, I record my drums live on a midi controller keyboard into midi, that is my base point for writing beats. I can also get percussion with more feel then just using the piano roll.

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
joshleejohnson
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedless View Post
I record my drums live on a midi controller keyboard into midi
Do you think investing in a midi controller with drum pads, is worth it? I already have a midi keyboard.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya

after writing this post i started looking for one hahaha, I have a keyboard and an APC, I think i'de be allot less awkward with a controller that uses drum sticks. I couldn't find one to do only what I want and not be riddle with loads of features I don't need (hence making it too expensive)

------------------
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
joshleejohnson
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedless View Post
I couldn't find one to do only what I want and not be riddle with loads of features I don't need (hence making it too expensive)
These were my thoughts exactly. I think I mentioned in a previous post, I've only recently started incorporating (heavy) electronic elements into my music anyway, so it's probably best to learn the basics before shelling out tons of money. Thanks for the advice mate.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
Proph
Minor Glitch
Proph is currently spamming hard
San Diego, Ca.
Re: Tutorial: How to add variation to your drum loops

While we're on the subject of using a midi controller keyboard to program drums, how do you control the latency? Recently I've had my drummer and keyboardist recording and everything is slightly behind the actual time.

It's gotten to the point where it is easier to use the piano roll, which I agree that you lose the 'feel' of the rhythm. I'm using Ableton and my interface is a Focusrite Saffire 6. I have a USB midi controller (M-Audio 61 key).
Proph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya
Re: Tutorial: How to add variation to your drum loops

I have the latency set to 64 samples when recording, the delay is so small (i think its something like 3-5ms) that I can't notice it.

Advertisements

------------------