If you could ask me to write an article about anything, what would it be?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 13-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6905759
Thanked 3,531 Times in 2,140 Posts
If you could ask me to write an article about anything, what would it be?

Not necessarily me, but any user on the forum including yourself.

So I know a few people write/record tutorials and other production related content. Then of course, there are users that have a ridiculous amount of knowledge about a specific area, or are crazy talented, maybe have professional creative careers, and so on.

To give you a few examples of a few (possibly dry and rather boring) topics I'd like to write about myself:
Project organisation and workflow.
Digital Asset Management.
Preparing for distribution.
To give you a few examples of things I'd like other users to write about:

Relic: On effective note taking/documentation and development of concepts and ideas.

Evelon: An instruction manual, complete with Ikea style drawings for [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Muse-ic: How to teach and learn. And also being creative (because I know you're into that)

Benwaa: On running a label, and a brief guide to mastering.
So I'm not suggesting that these users actually write anything, but I would be interested in reading and I would be interested which knowledge or experience you value in other users. This thread may die in a week but it would be good to hear from cunts.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Re: If you could ask me to write an article about anything, what would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Relic: On effective note taking/documentation and development of concepts and ideas.
Second this. Would love someone to write about this. Always been torn as to whether I should write things down or keep them in my head. There's something really nice about not putting things to paper, but instead letting them develop in your head subconsciously.

I've been thinking of writing a piece about the importance of doing everything yourself in a production, i.e. not relying on synth patches / loops / midi files. I think it's a very blurry line and I'm never really sure where to draw it for my own work.

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my girlfriend mumbling in her sleep about killing me
Thanks to Orray
Jaded (14-07-2015)
Old 13-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Evelon: An instruction manual, complete with Ikea style drawings for [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Ah, I remember this, still. I have two days off and I'll try to write/document something interesting. No promise on the IKEA thingy though.

edit: I'd like to read some Digital Asset Management, whatever that might be.

Last edited by Evelon; 13-07-2015 at 02:13 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (13-07-2015)
Old 13-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8553030
Thanked 7,242 Times in 5,122 Posts

I'll try to write something up. might even be a nice document for my summer intro to creative writing class

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

+1 for @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
's spring reverb.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Jaded: Advanced compression techniques beyond simple gluing and parallel.

Edit: Actually the title should read "Beyond Gluing & Parallel: Advanced Compression Techniques."

Last edited by RFJ; 13-07-2015 at 08:09 PM..

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
A.M (13-07-2015)
Old 13-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282934
Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,755 Posts

ben steed with the title 'cats: Why? A brief history of why cats'

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

I'd be interested in reading about Vlantis's experiences performing in Japan, and how it differs from the U.S.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
A.M (13-07-2015)
Old 14-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

I would love to read and/or see a screencast on the way @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
approaches arranging breakcore drums so they actually make musical sense and are very fluid.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744037091
Thanked 7,393 Times in 4,584 Posts

Basic electronics for electronic musicians.

I'd like to publish a book of short interviews with musicians about playing live and touring, their first impressions and then a recap when they reach 50/100 shows or whatever and see if/how their feelings on the situation have changed and how their relationship with band members and crew evolves over time.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317739

The musical resumes/achievements of YOU the IDMf community! Though, I've not thought through completely if it can be done in article form.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Jaded (14-07-2015)
Old 14-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470758
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Basic electronics for electronic musicians.
This could be a good one for @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
e_creek.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6905759
Thanked 3,531 Times in 2,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
I've been thinking of writing a piece about the importance of doing everything yourself in a production, i.e. not relying on synth patches / loops / midi files. I think it's a very blurry line and I'm never really sure where to draw it for my own work.
I think this is a great topic. But as you've phrased it here it would be difficult to write about as it could prove divisive.

For example, a lot of people (myself included) don't agree that it's important to always do everything yourself. A more constructive way to approach this topic would be to write about something that you're confident doing for yourself and outline the process. Or if you wanted to write about this more broadly write about the blurriness of the line you perceive in your work and how it informs your approach to things.

Instead of saying that it's important to do everything yourself, maybe say that there are benefits of doing things for yourself. That way, you're validating the feelings of those who do it themselves, and interesting those that don't.

Like imagine if you knew nothing about production and you saw a headline that read "Why it's so important to do everything yourself." The feelings that would conjure in a n00b would be doubt and/or intimidation and similarly negative feelings. It would also encourage the "pros" in the audience to stoke the n00b's fears by agreeing with the headline. Whereas, if you started with a topic like "Why doing it yourself is so rewarding" or something more optimistic, straight away you get a better article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
edit: I'd like to read some Digital Asset Management, whatever that might be.
Basically it's what it sounds like. How to manage digital assets relating to projects, clients, and reference. I talked about some things recently in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. So documenting your work is part of it. But then there's things like automation. Whether it's OS automation or self automation: where you develop habits for automating your actions when beginning a specific task. Then you take steps to aid those tasks.

A good example from my own practice would be templates. I have all kinds of templates for use with various projects. Whether it's document templates for documenting recordings in the field, or project templates for specific kinds of projects I work on. I also have different folder templates complete with standard documents. For example I have an archive called client.zip which unpacks to a folder called client and contains pro-forma documents for briefs, contracts, invoicing etc, along with project folders, post-production and master assets.

When I do certain tasks now, I automatically start with whatever template or package I've created for it. Then if it's a task that doesn't have a template or process to start with, I'll document the steps I'm taking. If I end up doing a similar task again, then the first task is to go about templating the last project and archiving it...

So yeah, I'd like to write some stuff about this because there isn't much interesting out there, and it's so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'll try to write something up. might even be a nice document for my summer intro to creative writing class
I think it would be really interesting and there isn't much written about it from the perspective of solo, uneducated electronic musicians. Especially because commerce and club culture is so dominant of the art form now... which doesn't really place any value in creative self expression. Just look at all of the cunts at Burning Man, Rainbow Serpent and all of these other monocultures. Zero individuality, zero self-identity, let alone meaning.

But I think that there's a lot things that electronic musicians have to say beyond, "Hey Brah check out my fat beats." And I am more than sure that the kinds of practices that help writers keep track of their ideas and concepts and develop them into products has to benefit electronic musicians in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Jaded: Advanced compression techniques beyond simple gluing and parallel.

Edit: Actually the title should read "Beyond Gluing & Parallel: Advanced Compression Techniques."
Heh, I think if I wrote an article about compression it would be incomprehensible. Mainly because every conversation about compression always devolves in to obscene words like fatten, pump, glue, parallel compression (yes, I said it) and the like. Not because there's anything wrong with these things, it's just that none of these are really talking about dynamics processing. Well they are, if the process is to steamroll everything within an inch of its life.

But I don't like using compression to steamroll shit. That's what saturation is for. To me compressors are like guiding hands softly ushering sound to the speakers. But it's kind of hard to articulate what that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I'd like to publish a book of short interviews with musicians about playing live and touring, their first impressions and then a recap when they reach 50/100 shows or whatever and see if/how their feelings on the situation have changed and how their relationship with band members and crew evolves over time.
I reckon anything like this is great. Especially if it's on the more technical side. i.e. Gear, relationships and "stagecraft" or whatever you want to call the act of being on stage. I think what's really frustrating with all of the press regarding live work is that it's either a journalist asking generic questions and listing their gear, or it's purely focussed on the hype machine and isn't really about their live work at all.

I wanted to do something similar to this looking at studios and approaches to creative process. The think I found the most challenging with the idea was the best way to present it. So as much as journalists suck at documenting these kinds of things, it's also a challenge to get the format right.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167760
Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,010 Posts

Quote:
To me compressors are like guiding hands softly ushering sound to the speakers. But it's kind of hard to articulate what that means
It's like touching the brakes here and there when riding a bike down a steep hill.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

I think it would be awesome to have an indexed thread with the titles in the OP- maybe for this thread mods could keep it locked and just sticky it or something so it doesn't blow up with BS.

Very cool idea Jade. I can think of thousands of ideas for you, Evelon, RFJ, lolirl, Fid, Ben Steed, Benwaa, relic, Numerical, (Everyone I missed), to write about.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #16
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744037091
Thanked 7,393 Times in 4,584 Posts

Quote:

I reckon anything like this is great. Especially if it's on the more technical side. i.e. Gear, relationships and "stagecraft" or whatever you want to call the act of being on stage. I think what's really frustrating with all of the press regarding live work is that it's either a journalist asking generic questions and listing their gear, or it's purely focussed on the hype machine and isn't really about their live work at all.

I wanted to do something similar to this looking at studios and approaches to creative process. The think I found the most challenging with the idea was the best way to present it. So as much as journalists suck at documenting these kinds of things, it's also a challenge to get the format right.
Yeah I think that a lot of people are mislead, misguided or just trippin when it comes to what it's actually like going out and doing it, but also I just find these kinds of stories fascinating as a musician myself.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
i think Trash Audio is doing a pretty decent job at this with their Workspace and Environment Series: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
Jaded (15-07-2015)
Old 15-07-2015, 02:35 AM   #18
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Quote:
Heh, I think if I wrote an article about compression it would be incomprehensible. Mainly because every conversation about compression always devolves in to obscene words like fatten, pump, glue, parallel compression (yes, I said it) and the like. Not because there's anything wrong with these things, it's just that none of these are really talking about dynamics processing. Well they are, if the process is to steamroll everything within an inch of its life.

But I don't like using compression to steamroll shit. That's what saturation is for. To me compressors are like guiding hands softly ushering sound to the speakers. But it's kind of hard to articulate what that means
The reason why I brought up advanced compression techniques is because I too typically only use compression to "softly usher the sound to the speakers" as you say. I remember one time, shortly after you made your return here last summer I believe it was, there was this rather large compression discussion going on. I remember you mentioned something to the effect of...

If you dont know how to squeeze a snare until it spooges all over the audiences ears then....

I don't remember what you said after that to be honest. Probably something some 30 count poster took very personally and never returned But ever since then I've always wondered exactly what you meant by that and was hoping to have my question indirectly answered if you ever wrote the article.

Funny how certain things have a way of sticking with someone.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #19
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

Since I haven't had that much time, here's a short version:

How to fuck up a cheap spring reverb

The first time I heard a spring reverb (AKA reverb tank) was when I was about 4 years old and my guitar playing dad moved/relocated his Fender Twin Reverb amp in the basement of our house. The amp was on, but silent. When he lifted it and then put it down it went "Baaoooowoowoiwwwiissh". It was a strange sound that I'd never heard before, so it kinda freaked me out. I asked
-"Dad, what was that?".
-"That was a spring reverb.", he said with a calm voice and continued to show and explain to me what it was I'd just heard (probably to calm me down, since I was a bit scared).

The spring reverb was a cheap/small way to emulate the echo chambers and oil tank reverbs of the 40's (where they set up a speaker in one end, and a mic at the other end of an empty oil tank).

Over the years I heard that characteristic reverb on many recordings, mostly from the 50's. But it wasn't until I was 19 years old that I again heard that sound IRL, now in my band's rehearsal room. Our guitarist Mike had just bought a Fender amp. The sound brought me back to my childhood. This time I explained to Mike how it worked.

Construction

The spring reverb is a very simple device, with a metal spring (or two or three) connected between an input transducer and an output transducer. The transducers basically converts movement to electric current, so current->movement->current. The thing that is moving is the spring. If you move/kick/slap/play the spring reverb, the output transducer picks those movements up and converts them to electric current and we can hear it.
That was what happened when dad/Mike moved or kicked the amp.

If you intend to "play" the spring reverb with your fingers and/or with other objects, you don't even have to plug any audio source into the input transducer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Since a spring reverb is so simple in construction and doesn't have many components, it's cheap. You can basically pick one up for pennies or for free. A friend gave me one (since he didn't use it and couldn't sell it). I ripped another spring reverb out of an old busted up electric organ that was going to the junkyard. Ebay has Accutronics reverbs (same one used in Fender amps) for 25 bucks/23 Euros, all ready to be plugged and played.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Since the spring reverb now becomes an instrument like a guitar or synth, you just need one cable to connect your reverb output into your preamp/audio interface. Fun starts when you play it and later chop it up and add effects to it:

The possibilities are endless. You can make oneshot samples and build a track from that, make Aphex Twin-like glitch/morphed sounds like I did...or add a TON of long reverbs ITB and make ambient soundscapes (by just gently scraping the spring, or going crazy with it).
Let your imagination run free.

Or you can run sounds/samples/synths/instruments through it, but that has been done many times before.

Last edited by Evelon; 15-07-2015 at 09:37 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
Esten Toreo
Microknight
Esten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
Second this. Would love someone to write about this. Always been torn as to whether I should write things down or keep them in my head. There's something really nice about not putting things to paper, but instead letting them develop in your head subconsciously.

Yup would also like to see something like this. I get caught in tangents all the time, not good ones, and would be interested in reading a practical way of staying focused, developing ideas, mental preparation etc.

Advertisements

------------------
Industrial Glitch-Hop Psychofunk?

Esten Toreo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote