No idea how to make my claps/rims sound this full
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 12-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684405
No idea how to make my claps/rims sound this full

I feel like I'm missing some fundamental knowledge on where the best clap sounds come from (besides the 808/909), or what drum machines are most used in deep house to get this full, complex clap or rimshot that sits so perfectly in the mix.

I know people put in major work to achieve this, and its not just a matter of slapping a sample in, but thats where its got to start, and I'm having zero luck even finding good samples as a starting point. A vst would be even better, if it could actually create that complex of a sound. Or maybe its just very well recorded actual rimshots/claps?

Any help would be much appreciated. Im shooting in the dark here

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6060
Re: No idea how to make my claps/rims sound this full

Personally don't hear any outstanding fullness in those claps (when compared to some other tunes out there), only in the kick underneath and how hi-hats/ambience/other percussion fill the space.

What could be said tho is that there's at least a bit of reverb on them.

Also, a pretty common thing for house claps is to turn off the snap and drag the sample away from the kick a millimeter by millimeter until you hit one of the "sweet spots" where the transients of the kick and the clap work together in a way that sounds interesting to ear.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552080
Thanked 7,223 Times in 5,114 Posts

First, to me it sounds a bit more woody to me than just a clap. Might be layered with a bit of rim shot. At times it sounds like one of the layers isn't playing. But yea, I'm really not hearing anything special at all here. Sounds, mostly, like a light duty clap from any old sample pack or drum machine. I think it might just be the case that this is a really well chosen sample for the track.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Deep Dose (14-01-2018)
Old 13-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 47110

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I don't hear anything super cool about that hit. I can see the track being enjoyable, but that sample having nothing to do with it. Layering should give you much cooler sounds over all - this just sounds like a sample (probably from hardware I'm guessing) that worked IMO and not much attention to detail was really paid in that department

I also hear shit differently than most people from what I gather, so YMMV / IMO / WTF

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Deep Dose (14-01-2018)
Old 14-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Personally don't hear any outstanding fullness in those claps (when compared to some other tunes out there), only in the kick underneath and how hi-hats/ambience/other percussion fill the space.

What could be said tho is that there's at least a bit of reverb on them.

Also, a pretty common thing for house claps is to turn off the snap and drag the sample away from the kick a millimeter by millimeter until you hit one of the "sweet spots" where the transients of the kick and the clap work together in a way that sounds interesting to ear.
Excellent tip. And I realize there's not a ton to the sample itself, but it's effective, sits well and isn't thin sounding.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Thanks guys. Good input as always. I should have clarified, I know there's not a whole lot to the sound. I guess that's what I like about it, it's still effective in the track. Getting it to sit well is on me, and I enjoy that part. It's knowing where people get these clean, full samples that I have no luck with.

Of all the samples I spend hours cycling through, it always takes the longest with claps or rimshots. They are always too thin or too noisy or lacking punch or over compressed etc

I guess I may have just created a "where can I find this sound" thread. Sorry guys. For a second I thought I'd hear someone say "oh that's a classic sound from the such and such", but it's just a random well chosen/ well layered sample most likely.
Old 14-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58410
Thanked 1,168 Times in 859 Posts

Itís a pretty minimal arrangement. Sample it.

I donít want to come across as a dick, but letís rule out some basics: you probably are tuning the sample using a good time stretching algo and you are EQing, right?

As others have noted, sounds rather much like your standard fare. I think you should be well on track using a dry 909/808 clap. Short envelope/gate, tuned, and some good reverb.
Good sample packs: Goldbabyís Dirt & Layers, Elektronís Rytm pack Tape 909.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540027
Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,302 Posts

sample a clap with a short decay or truncate the end of the clap tail. layer with a 909 rim shot.

tune both down, bus together or resample together.

find the resonant low end for the rim shot and boost that freq on the subgrouped or re-sampled sound, compress a tad and put a reasonably dry room reverb after it.

once you get it in the ballpark you can re-sample again if you are worried about computer resources.

bingo!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (15-01-2018)
Old 15-01-2018, 02:23 AM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167560
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,007 Posts

Here's how you get the clap.

Load and layer a couple (the more the better) of 10-20 second samples of large crowd applause in a sampler. Randomize the start point (or not). Hard pan the layers...That's how you can get thick, splashy, organic claps.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 02:57 AM   #10
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540027
Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Here's how you get the clap.

Load and layer a couple (the more the better) of 10-20 second samples of large crowd applause in a sampler. Randomize the start point (or not). Hard pan the layers...That's how you can get thick, splashy, organic claps.
another valid approach.

also, truncate the tails - add fake verb.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
thom (15-01-2018)
Old 15-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167560
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,007 Posts

Yeah.

#Motown
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
I feel like I'm missing some fundamental knowledge on where the best clap sounds come from (besides the 808/909), or what drum machines are most used in deep house to get this full, complex clap or rimshot that sits so perfectly in the mix.
umm, if I may suggest notching a full -10dB at 1kHz (q3 or more), then after a while turn it off. surely it gives you some idea as to what's been done to that clap/rim..

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Oldskooltekno
Regular Freak
Oldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Also add some reverb aswell
Oldskooltekno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
localspace
Minor Glitch
localspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Don't use claps but snaps, rims and wood-hit sounds and then maximise them with a limiter, that gives them a bit more of that 'clappy' grip. I tend to avoid compressing them. Use saturation, subtle chorus or doubling (maybe bounce back to mono if you want to keep it focused) and some reverb.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
AudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to behold
Johannesburg
MC Status: 781

It all starts with sound design, you can get similar or even better results if you design it yourself using the samples you already have.

Another reason could be that you're not tuning your snare/rimshot to the key of the song.

Another thing might be that the level on your mix is too low, maybe lowering the levels of other sounds will help the snare shine.

But 1 thing for sure. I bet I can grab a few snare samples from my library, tune them, add a few touches and get similar results. You just need to spend some time on it.

Another sneaky thing that people don't know about is that in house music we use the transient shaper a lot, including a multiband distortion/saturation. That makes the snare bite. Without these 2 processing tools you can add EQ, compression etc. your snare will always sound flat.

Instead of searching for the exact same snare I would design it, and make it even better. You'll go round in circles only to find out the person didn't even use 1 snare. Maybe they mixed a lot of stuff to achieve that sound.

Design it yourself :victory:

Advertisements

------------------
AudioJunky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote