90s Rompler Vsts
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 25-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910
90s Rompler Vsts

So, since Roland announced the JV 1080 for the Roland Cloud today, I read about the hardware and checked some videos.
This [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
about the JV 2080 made me actually want one!^^
I mean, you can get these for cheap today and since Im using 93-98% synthesized sounds (subtractive, fm and modal synthesis) in my productions - usually just the hats and maybe a few percussion sounds are samples - I think that Id actually benefit from injecting some Romplers sounds in my tracks!
So...what do you think - is it even worth looking for a plugin, when you want the 90s Rompler sound?
Or is stuff like the carefully selected and crafted Rom sounds, menu diving, DACs etc. a key element?

Advertisements

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 173710
Thanked 3,474 Times in 2,073 Posts
Re: 90s Rompler Vsts

I have a 1080. A splendid Jack Of All Trades. Master of... a few things. I can Imagine how dearly original owners loved it.

I used it a lot with SoundDiver to edit it. I mean... it does sound good. Nice pads, especially. Capable of lots of bread-and-butter things for film scoring and pre-prod. I can be pretty awesome if you are deliberately going for that late 80's pop sound... It's ALLL over pop music of the day and films.

Look, if you were my neighbor I'd lend it to you so you can have your fun and then... I bet you'd get back to your better, more specialized tools.

Hey does that mean it has become a wanted piece out there and that I can ask STOOPID money for it??
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (26-12-2017)
Old 25-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Hey does that mean it has become a wanted piece out there and that I can ask STOOPID money for it??
Lol, give it a few more years!
Do you have any of the expansion cards loaded in it? If so I might buy it off you!

But to @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, if you have an iPad, iM1 and iProphet are well worth checking out for that kind of sound.
I know not Roland, but same vein tho.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Yeah I have "pop" and the "SuperSoundSet" in there.

I might sell it one day... just not now. I gather it is on it's way to gain in value sooo....

And I still might use it now and then.
Old 25-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Ok thx guys! A JV 2080 goes for 250-300€ today, JV 1080 for 150€.
Probaply will gain value.
There are always guys (like me haha), that immediately check for the real thing when there's an article or forum thread about old digital hardware, or when a new software that emulates one of those unit hits the market.
Anyway, you're probaply right thom...

I think I'll forget about 90s Rompler and go for a Technics WSA1 instead^^

Last edited by Schnork; 25-12-2017 at 07:28 PM..

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
thom (25-12-2017)
Old 25-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

I actually kinda liked my Proteus rack module....

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lolirl (26-12-2017)
Old 25-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9060

I have the 1010, which is the little half rack. The samples are a bit lower quality apparently, and it's not easy to edit like the other 2, but it has all the sounds from both plus all 255 sounds from the session card, and I have the Dance expansion, which gives me about 1,300 altogether. 64 voice polyphonic, 16 part multitimbral, so I can have the RM1x sequencing 16 parts at the same time if I want.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

It's a pure nostalgia thing. I find it funny that they expanded the functionalities that much, because what it was originally meant to do can be done much better with any ol' pc and freeware instruments. The people who will buy this will, I bet, mainly look for classic sounds we are all familiar with and heard everywhere. They'll just want to tap into that familiarity, that subtle echo from the past these sounds will have in the listener's ears. They most certainly wont buy this for the 1080's VA capabilities lol. Those filters... as long as you don't crank the resonance, they're sort of ok at best.

The MKS50/Alpha Juno, shit they should do THAT one lol. Great synth with waveforms you never got from any other synth since. It sounds retrofuture electro as FUCK.
Old 25-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #9
Schnork
IDMf Artist

I have absolutely no interest in those movie soundscapes and pop presets. If I had one, I would look for otherworldly stuff, abusing the engine to craft my own sounds.
If the results will justify the money and time? Not sure about that...
Possible with Rompler Vsti‘s?

------------------
Old 26-12-2017, 02:51 AM   #10
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Romplers if you can get em cheap are PERFECT if you want some instant 90s cheese sounds for dance music. Cheaper than software often...

------------------
Old 26-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

The choir vocals can be pretty cool for layering with a dark pad for a more menacing vibe. Actually it's good for layering behind stuff for some extra width and depth too.

------------------
Old 26-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476158
Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,023 Posts

I have nostalgia for my mc-505 but Im afraid the truth would be a bit underwhelming. Still I think I should get it fixed...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Guys have nailed it.
It's kind of specific and of it's time.
Also, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
Schnork
IDMf Artist

So I'd be better off going the software route? I'll check for 90s Rompler Vsti's later. Maybe I can get some cool results when I sequence it from the Octatrack.

------------------
Old 27-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Omnisphere or similar?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Korg have M1 and wavestation vsts on for 25 bucks each right now! Half price.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Omnisphere or similar?
Omnisphere is way too much of everything...
Although the Wavestation uses Vector Synthesis, it could lead to interesting results. I gotta read about the M1, but 25 bucks sounds cool. Thx.
Actually I really wanted to work within the limitations of 90s hardware units in order to craft some interesting sounds...You know, sequencing from the OT with parameter locks, using extreme slow or fast modulation with extreme pitch values, abusing the fx section.
Which brings up the real 90s Rompler's thing again...

Hmm look what I found;
Quote:

E-MU Announces FREE Proteus VX download along with Included v2 Proteus X Composer Bank!

Yep, that's right! As we release and launch E-MU's next generation Emulator X3 Streaming Sampling Synthesizer software, E-MU celebrates and is pleased to announce that we will be providing the full version of our Proteus VX Software Sound Module software which includes the enhanced v2.0.1 Proteus X Composer Bank. (a special E-MU tweaked version of the Composer bank) that can be used in all versions of our Proteus X or Emulator X software. Proteus VX is not copy protected or card locked like other versions of our instrument and sampling software, and can be used either as a VSTi or in stand alone mode.

Note: We are unable to offer tutorial support for Proteus VX. We only have very limited technical support available for basic setup and install issues for Proteus VX. Proteus VX will install and function for most users on Windows Vista, but is only officially tested and supported for Windows XP.

Proteus VX Install InstructionsDownload and save the Proteus VX software to your PC. (save to Desktop is ok)Unzip/extract the Proteus VX folder to your preferred folder on your PC. You may be able to just open the Proteus VX folder and subfolders without extracting.Open the Proteus VX Folder.Open the ProtVX Folder and double click the file: Setup (Setup.exeFollow the install instructions and prompts. We strongly suggest you let the installer use all the default folders for installing.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Schnork; 27-12-2017 at 05:43 PM..

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
relic (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63160
Thanked 1,263 Times in 930 Posts

Korg M1 will get you covered on all those early house sounds and by extension rave/warehouse. Choir, destined piano, strings... all there.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #19
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

By the sound s of what you're saying, maybe drop the rompler idea and go for something like this.....
This is what is next on my list in the new year. Old hardware samplers have a distinct and unique sound to them. This is what I'm interested in, that dirty sound.

Last edited by Dr. Sleaze; 28-12-2017 at 01:33 AM..

------------------
Old 27-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #20
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Korg M1 will get you covered on all those early house sounds and by extension rave/warehouse. Choir, destined piano, strings... all there.
Also, for bonus points, just sample one chord and pitch it up and down in a simple sampler.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (27-12-2017)