MPC Live/X
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476458
Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,026 Posts
MPC Live/X

So, role call, how many of us have gotten or are considering the MPC X/Live?
What are your thoughts so far?

It took me a bit to get into the flow and understand how it's meant to work, but now I'm really happy with it and I realised that apart from a couple of things, it is a great machine.

Reverb could be better (I gave up on it and when I need reverb I run the audio out, resample the wet reverb and mix it in with the original sound), automation editing is completely missing and clips as they are now are worthless, but I think we finally clicked and I can say I finally understand the MPC feeling.

I tried the software and gave up on it in 15 minutes, it's not bad, but I moved away from Maschine as it was tethered and made me think like I was using a computer, so I consider this a full standalone instrument.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63410
Thanked 1,268 Times in 933 Posts
Re: MPC Live/X

I'm still a bit conflicted. As a standalone unit I feel it's uninspiring and a complete failure. The lack of modulation sources and mediocre effects really limit me. It made me realize just how much I rely on FX.
As of recent I have used it more and more to record my hardware rig, especially using the loop recorder. As a straight up looper/sampler it excels.

Using it as a MIDI controller is still on my to do list, as is resampling in controller mode.

I'd be much happier with it if the FX didn't suck.

Also, the OS is still buggy. Occasional disk eject error messages where it just loses connection to the internal SSD or it crashes on powering down. I feel this unit should be more fun to play with, but it just isn't for me.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
lonewolf
Sample Destroyer
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 129904

Ive got the MPC X and had a look at the browsing filters for the effects and one of the sub categories was "manufacturer"....however there was only Akai listed but I assume there maybe plugins to made available in the future much like vst's etc

------------------
An open mind sees the world reflected within them, but a closed mind looks for the world to be their reflection. - Brian Winkler

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James D
lonewolf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I wish, at the moment the manufacturer filters work in controller mode. But fuck controller mode, I bought it for standalone.

------------------
Old 12-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32460

I have one and honestly haven’t used it at all yet. Because I’ve been busy on something I’ve been doing mostly with push and want to finish that up before I reorganize my setup.
I fully expect it to be as my 1000 was, but updated in its interface.
Ie easy as pie to sample, great for layering samples, for key groups and simple linear sequencing.
But if I want crazy octatrack stuff, which is what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
seems to be gripping about, I don’t expect it to do that.
Has anyone had timing issues with their mpc live or x? Ie midi sync? Or is that a gs rumour?
Also any glitches besides liquid? And @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, what firmware are you on?
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

So I finally got around to sitting down and giving a good test ride on my mpc live.
Man, I REALLY wished they had shift plus pad to access certain menus, going back to the menu page every time is annoying.
Besides that, and the fact that it is different enough from the mpc 1000 that I am pretty slow with it so far, itís been fun.
Iíve got a couple little sequences going on. Figuring out the key group programs and stuff.
Sure the effects arenít great, but I will use them for now, and replace when I track stuff out.
Still havenít played my iPad synths with it yet, but I do have a little USB keyboard connected and I find that super cool!

Howís everyone else getting along with thereís? Howís the short term reviews, I know @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
wasnít getting along with his, anyone else?
Is anyone having sync issues?
Cheers.
Old 22-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

I'm still having fun with it, using it only in standalone mode and using it pretty much as centre of my setup.
I still don't see any point in Clip Programs as they are implemented at the moment but not a deal breaker.
Navigation shortcuts and USB out via midi would be great though and still high on my wishlist.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
jbvdb493 (22-01-2018)
Old 22-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Whatís wrong with the Clip launch feature?

Using MIDI solutions event processor has somewhat reconciled me with the unit, albeit I havenít been able to get it to work with my Avalon. Itís been relegated to loop recording and a supplemental sampler. Havenít had any time to pressure test Social Entropyís Engine, yet.

------------------

Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 AM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

So, I’ve been playing with the mpc some more.
I have it setup that I play reason synths from my keyboard connected to the mpc.
Each reason synth is set to a different midi channel, so switching channels in the mpc midi track changes the synth played. This is working out pretty well, I can either sequence things like that, or sample and create keygroup programs.
And I can use absynth in reason from the mpc! Pretty cool combo, best of both worlds so far.
I can’t see too many drawbacks from the mpc for now, sure it’s not live, but that’s also a pro, focus on writing tracks, THEN record and mix, instead of doing the classic DAW thing of going and adding effects and stuff constantly.

Edit: Still undecided how to run drums for now, might get a hybrid thing going where I use the EZdrummer sequencer I side of reason, and layer extra drums in the mpc, or I might just sample loops and chop.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

In the last few days (inspired by some interviews to Swarm Intelligence) I went back to what attracted me to samplers in the first place, sampling and editing sounds.

I found out I can connect m Zoom portable recorder to the Live and access it as a hard, so I'm building a song out of hits and noises, like I loved to do when I started.

The Live gives me what I need, easy editing, quick resampling (1 touch pad resampling is a godsend) and enough effects to eq, filter and mangle. Too bad for the fucking reverbs, but that's why I might stick to Ipad or get a pedal.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
jbvdb493 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
In the last few days (inspired by some interviews to Swarm Intelligence) I went back to what attracted me to samplers in the first place, sampling and editing sounds.

I found out I can connect m Zoom portable recorder to the Live and access it as a hard, so I'm building a song out of hits and noises, like I loved to do when I started.

The Live gives me what I need, easy editing, quick resampling (1 touch pad resampling is a godsend) and enough effects to eq, filter and mangle. Too bad for the fucking reverbs, but that's why I might stick to Ipad or get a pedal.
I didn't mention it in your pedal thread but the boss rv-500 is quite good reverb pedal. it even has digital delay and a space echo mode. worth checking out, esp considering it is quite a bit cheaper than strymon pedals.

as for the mpc, its been pretty immediate for me what little ive used it.
ive been spending tons of time playing guitar and messing around with uad stuff, but I have my mpc and keyboard setup so that I can play the reason rack from the mpc, which is pretty cool.

edit: one thing I couldn't figure out maybe you guys can help me, is there a way to get a click track and maybe a count in in the looper?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

No idea, I've only used the looper to sample loops from the ipad and I didn't need count-in or clicks for that.

------------------
Old 07-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I thought the looper can be set up to trigger on incoming signal. All you need is a click track from anywhere, in case you want to record a live instrument.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
jbvdb493 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I thought the looper can be set up to trigger on incoming signal. All you need is a click track from anywhere, in case you want to record a live instrument.
Yeah, I just starts right away, so no pre count from what I can figure.
I can just let it loop and play on the second pass.
Old 13-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

So Iíve kinda done away with the idea of the looper, instead using the audio tracks.
That way I get a count in and can still export as a sample.

Also Iíve been using the mpc to sequence reason rack synths.
Itís a fun combo, cuz I can do all the wiring in the reason rack that makes reason so cool, yet not have to deal with the sequencer or the mixer!

So my workflow on this latest this has been, sample a bunch of stuff from the iPad and guitar.
Make beats, sequence reason. Then play guitar over top to come up with the track ideas.

And I am running everything into the console of the Apollo so no need for rewire to track reason into a daw!

I did run into a few issues with it, but I think either they will get fixed with the next update or they are user errors. I think itís been a good choice for me. I donít think I will be using the octatrack for a while, if at all tbh.
Old 13-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #16
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

I do miss some features of the Octatrack though, mainly the crossfader, but overall the MPC workflow works better for me.

I had lots of fun over the weekend with the Live and my Zoom recorder as I realised that in card mode the Zoom can be accessed by the Live's browser so I went around the house recording shit then just plugged it in and transferred the recording without a computer. Kinda neat.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
jbvdb493 (13-02-2018)
Old 13-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
I do miss some features of the Octatrack though, mainly the crossfader, but overall the MPC workflow works better for me.

I had lots of fun over the weekend with the Live and my Zoom recorder as I realised that in card mode the Zoom can be accessed by the Live's browser so I went around the house recording shit then just plugged it in and transferred the recording without a computer. Kinda neat.
Sounds cool!
I miss the lfos from the octatrack, and trig less locks on effects.
Old 13-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
Manton
IDMf Artist
Manton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud ofManton has much to be proud of
Sydney
MC Status: 1128

Hey, just saw this thread. Am an X owner as well. I bought it because it can do everything the Tempest can do and more, but with your own samples. I don't like it for track building, I have yet to warm up to that. I use it more of an instrument than a DAW. Not a fan of the FX, but if you use them sparingly, it's nice to have something in the box. I assign 4 different FX Dry/Wet to the q-link knobs (as well as the master tune) of a drum program and "play" them on snap-to-zero to glitch out the drums.

------------------

Manton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Manton
jbvdb493 (13-02-2018)
Old 27-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #19
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

2.2 is coming and it add midi learn, live set here I come!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Nice unexpected update.

Also, the effects are growing on me, but you need to stack them to get something nice.

I only need proper standalone automation editing now...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
jbvdb493 (27-03-2018)
Old 30-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
2.2 is coming and it add midi learn, live set here I come!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Nice unexpected update.

Also, the effects are growing on me, but you need to stack them to get something nice.

I only need proper standalone automation editing now...
Page was taken down!
I donít know if the midi learn will be of much use to me, tbh.
But I am still happy to see akai move ahead with improvements.

Advertisements