Collecting Samples
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-11-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
Sound--
Regular Freak
Sound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to all
MC Status: 610
Collecting Samples

I am interested in doing some of these community projects but I need a little guidance on the best way, or ideas, to collect samples to share. Do most people share live samples from a field recorder or samples from a library? Suggestions?

Advertisements

Sound-- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060
Re: Collecting Samples

I think a lot of it is stuff we've done ourselves for other projects or that we whip up as needed. We try not to do any copyrighted stuff to keep everything as simple as it can be legally. You can be absolutely sure of the rights you give to others when you are sole author of the material.

Edit: For the beat battles, which are the most regular example of this, it is made, sometimes recorded. There was a pretty fun BB earlier this year in which all the samples were recorded from the forum member's body!

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts

I’ve got a field recorder, but honestly I just use my smartphone most of the time. Decent field recorders are quite inexpensive. If you are refering to AM’s Soundscape project you could easily record something on your smartphone no problem!

Also, technically speaking, we shouldn’t be sharing samples from paid sample packs. That would be against forum rules. That being said, there are tons of no strings attached samples on the internet.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

I've got a Tasam DR-40 that I use for purposefully making environmental recordings. The mic ins mean I can record a combination of card/omni or spread mics around to really get different elements of a space or record both contact mics and ambient sound. I can recommend both the DR-40 and the Zoom H4N as great entry points into cheap field recording.

Or, like relic, you can just use your phone, which I do all the time when I stumble across something I think would be cool. It's noisy, it picks up all sorts of things I don't want, and I can never remember which way to face it, but it's really not bad and beats missing something you wanted to capture.

If you just want to dip your toe in the water, go out with your phone and listen. See what you can do with what you find. That'll be a great way to tell if it's something you enjoy or find useful, and what aspects you'd want to focus on. That in turn will tell you what kind of equipment you might want to buy into.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Just chiming in here to agree with what the guys already said..and just want to add if this is in regards to the soundscape challenge I'm putting together, then feel free to use your phone..just make sure the recording is "clean"..meaning no "pops" or "crackles" caused by handling the phone while recording..no breathing sounds either, unless that's the main focus of the recording.

If you end up with a recording you want to use with anything like those in it, then you can always edit them out before submitting them.

Relic's point about using paid or bought samples is spot on..basically, just don't use them for the soundscape challenge..there's plenty of totally free samples floating around out there that you can use if you find yourself in the tight spot..but for what we're going to be doing, I doubt that's going to be an issue.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

A cheap field recorder is totally worth the investment if your phone happens to suck. I basically use a DR-05 for all of my recording needs (including multiple projects with zero outside samples used) and I'll probably never upgrade. You can definitely make some decent recordings on a tight budget, or of course just use your phone.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Plague
Regular Freak
Plague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura about
Munich
MC Status: 210

There are so called Public Domain sample libraries like freesound, which you can find with any search engine. You can share these samples, change them and incorporate them into any project you like. Of course you can share field recordings, when you recorded them.
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
There are so called Public Domain sample libraries like freesound, which you can find with any search engine. You can share these samples, change them and incorporate them into any project you like. Of course you can share field recordings, when you recorded them.

Just to be clear about this..you have to ALWAYS check the copyright of all free samples you want to use..even those you find on the likes of Freesound, as even though they might be released under CC terms..those terms can differ from sample to sample, with some rights reserved and some things not allowed..and it's up to you to double-check all of this BEFORE you actually start using them.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #9
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Yeah, you can't even redistribute most free sample packs that you didn't create once you check out the terms. You can link to someone's pack all day, but it gets hairy once you start mixing, matching and uploading

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Sound-- (19-11-2017)
Old 17-11-2017, 02:55 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52010
Thanked 1,040 Times in 767 Posts

There is always a need for another 808 BD sample processed through some super rare old analog watchamacallit
Or the most authentically and faithfully sampled original in all minute variation of the settings on a vintage 808.

Really, I need another GB or so of that.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Sound--
Regular Freak
Sound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to allSound-- is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Great suggestions, it sounds like most just make their own samples. I have a phone and a small field recorder so it looks like I should be covered for taking samples. I plan on taking a bunch of samples this week while on holiday.

Advertisements

Sound-- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote