Tracking Vocals in Ableton
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town
MC Status: 360
Tracking Vocals in Ableton

Hey guys

Has anyone got any advice on the best, efficient way of tracking vocals in ableton? I use ableton for everything except when it comes to vocals. Pro Tools offers the playlist option which is really cool and eliminates having to have 20million tracks of just vocals. Plus when it comes to editing/comping, well then pro tools is quite cool for that too. I just wish there was a way I could do the same in ableton so that I can use 100%

Advertisements

tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Re: Tracking Vocals in Ableton

I record vocals (and lots of other things involving bands and mics) for other people's projects in Ableton all the time. I know it's not optimised to do this but so far it's not been a problem.

I just start a new/ duplicate track if the last take was OK but might be used when mixing. Punch in/ hit record live and record over the existing take if it's a bad one or there's an actual mistake.

Might be more clumsy than how other DAWs deal with it I'm sure but I like using the same DAW to do everything.

The only advice I can offer I guess is aim for a great take early on and not reley on editing to piece something together later. Don't be afraid to simply delete something you're highly unlikely to actually use.
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town

Definitely agree on trying to get a good take before hand. In the past I've had to pull options from previous playlist various reasons. So scared of deleting stuff haha.

It would be cool if ableton did do some kind of playlist option though. Instead of having so many tracks on your screen

Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Are you recording yourself singing?
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexagon View Post
Are you recording yourself singing?
No Its mainly singers I track for my stuff or producing for their stuff.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Arrangement view. Punch in and punch out. You're doing something wrong if you can't easily track anything in Live, RTFM

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

[QUOTE=Vault O)));1462986]Arrangement view. Punch in and punch out. You're doing something wrong if you can't easily track anything in Live, RTFM[/yea this i knew this and only uswedd ableton twice
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Arrangement view. Punch in and punch out. You're doing something wrong if you can't easily track anything in Live, RTFM
I mean I know how to punch in and out in ableton. I suppose I was hoping for something similar in ableton what protools offer(playlists) I guess not yet

Advertisements