Indiescover
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181110
Thanked 3,622 Times in 2,701 Posts
Indiescover

Anyone heard about Indiescover or already joined it? I think it's still only in a pre-launch phase, but they seem to be already taking on artists.

I don't want to bad-mouth them before they're even up and running fully, but I don't really get the draw or attraction of this to an artist..not with the rates their charging. From what I read on their site, you get 10 free uploads and then it's 0.50 per track per month from there on..and even though they say you stand to make a lot from sale, past experience has shown this is not the case for most.

Basically, the artist has to pay, like I said, $0.50 per track per month.."excl 2.9% + 0.20 Stripe card processing surcharge"..whatever that comes to exactly..then the artist gets 90% from all sales.

They stream your music in MP3 or WAV formats and offer sales of the same to the listeners / fans, starting at 1.00, as well as offering a a feature similar to crowdfunding, where fans can pledge as little as 1 up to anything per month to the artist they follow.

It seems if you upload 10 tracks, then it's going to cost you at least 5.00 a month to keep those tracks up there, and even with sales, you're not really getting that much back. To be fair, my math might not be spot on here, as that bit about the extra charges is a little vague, but I take it a meaning the following..

Up load cost 0.50 and then 0.50 each month there after. On top of the initial upload cost you have a surcharge and card fee that rounds the total cost to you for an individual track upload up to 0.71.45 If you sell that track once, then after paying their 10%, you come out with 0.18.55..so you obviously need to be selling in order for this to be worth while.

It all sounds like a good idea, but maybe I'm, missing something, as the way I see it is if you don't make the sales, then you either have to delete tracks and that means you're out of pocket having already paid out to upload them in the first place..or you end up locked into paying 0.50 each month for each track uploaded..and that will eat into any profit you do make from future sales.

The service seems to work on the back of its own "chart" system, that is meant to "top" those artists that are most popular in the system..meaning the chart can't be rigged, but rather reflect what the members are listening to..

Anyway, I just thought I'd post about it here and see what the rest of you guys and girls think about it. Do you think it's worth it? Could you see yourself using this? What do you think?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115610
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,351 Posts
Re: Indiescover

stream where? on their own website? sounds like an another "i follow you, you follow me" and people pretending they like each other's music.

in comparison with bandcamp: bandcamp has free uploads, well-functioning discover/tags system... This is where you want to go to discover new music, imo. Don't care about separate songs, that's what soundcloud is for and this doesn't seem like a cool alternative to it.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181110
Thanked 3,622 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
stream where? on their own website? sounds like an another "i follow you, you follow me" and people pretending they like each other's music.

in comparison with bandcamp: bandcamp has free uploads, well-functioning discover/tags system... This is where you want to go to discover new music, imo. Don't care about separate songs, that's what soundcloud is for and this doesn't seem like a cool alternative to it.

Yeah..that was exactly my reaction, too..just how is it supposed to top BC from an artist's standpoint? It just seems you will end up out of pocket eventually. Now if they let you upload for free, with no monthly charge, then that would be something..but this just makes it seem like they stand to make most profit in the long-run, despite all their talk about being fair and transparent and there for the artists.

Regarding the streaming thing, they have an app you can download, so it looks like they're aiming at a lot of the Spotify/SC/HT market in general..as well as young bedroom producers and unsigned bands.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
ms_ (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115610
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..that was exactly my reaction, too..just how is it supposed to top BC from an artist's standpoint? It just seems you will end up out of pocket eventually. Now if they let you upload for free, with no monthly charge, then that would be something..but this just makes it seem like they stand to make most profit in the long-run, despite all their talk about being fair and transparent and there for the artists.

Regarding the streaming thing, they have an app you can download, so it looks like they're aiming at a lot of the Spotify/SC/HT market in general..as well as young bedroom producers and unsigned bands.
some artists in general are so ridiculously possessed with this idea of promoting their music despite its quality as much as possible and are ok even paying for such services that creates this illusion like something is happening to their career. Very cliche but, basically, just git gud. That's all. I don't see a point jumping so early into such websites/schemes too. Obviously, it's a decent business plan to use desperate bedroom producers that lack some perspective on their music from third-person view.

Advertisements

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (02-11-2017)