what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
someplace else
MC Status: 3528
what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

So lately I've been toying with the idea of ditching my current all software recording setup and partially rebuilding my old recording rig from the 90's, where I was most active and creative. Out of all of the stuff I had, I settled on the following core synths:

Sequential Multi-Trak
Roland JX3P w/PG200
Korg Poly800 mkII
Casio CZ1000
Yamaha TG55
Yamaha TX7
Roland R8mkII w/plethora of sound cards and a memory card
Roland MT32
Boss DS330 or Roland SC33 (I had the DS330)
Alesis Nanosynth

These made up the bulk of my sounds back then. I had several other synths come and go but these were what I made the bulk of my music from with the Sequential board being the anchor to it all. I went looking on ebay to see what the prices were looking like. I thought to myself "Surely they had to have gone down since I last looked back in the early 2000's".

For some of the stuff the price had tripled or quadrupled!!!

The Poly800 I bought from a used music shop for $125 I'm seeing on Ebay for $400-$500 now. The Sequential Multi-Trak I've seen touching $1000; I traded a guy a mic for mine in '97 and sold it in 2003 for $250. They were selling on Ebay for $250-300 back then. I've seen the JX-3P going for $400-$500 by itself with another $200 for the programmer. I bought mine from the same shop for $200 for both back in '99. The Casio I've seen closer to reality at $250 or so, but even that's a $100 increase over what I paid for mine. Even the R8mkII has gone up in price!

what's really going on here???

Advertisements

logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 180710
Thanked 3,614 Times in 2,695 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

I've only got time to give a quick reply here (..stuff going on offline right now), but in a nutshell, a mixture of both greed and exclusivity: greed from suppliers riding the tails of the ever-in-flux analog trend..and exclusivity, due to spare parts and bespoke repair services.

I'm sure some of the others guys on here with first-hand experience will jump in and add to this thread, sharing their knowledgeable understanding on all things analog as soon as they see your post.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537280
Thanked 6,927 Times in 4,931 Posts

In a phrase? Vintage analog revival. Whether one actually uses it or not, if you are going to do an in-studio interview or video, you best have overpriced vintage gear in there!

I'd honestly suggest looking into some of the new gear that has been coming out the last five years. The future is now

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

@ logic7: See..I don't say I didn't tell ya.

------------------
Old 21-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

i don't think its what either relic or AM are saying tbh. 1985 is now ten years further away than it was in 2007. we like to think were doing ok but really were clinging on to the ferocious outward spiral of life competing with our subconscious to m...
anyway my point is time travels quickly and imagine how much of this stuff got bought up in the last decade by people who are gonna keep it for a slong as it works in that time. think about how much of that stuff broke and got scrapped (3 decades when youre made of plastic is a long time). you think in the internet age pawn shops are selling shitty old drum machines that are actually desirable 90s classics for cheap cause they don't know?

the music hasn't fuckin moved on its not an analogue revival its 17 trillion more young lads and lasses making music now because of ease of access to software and then rightfully deciding they want a bit of the action because all they've ever had is reason 5

also new stuff gets made all the time but not in the same way it was before. now you can buy a fancy effecs box for 400 quid that's great and all but these companies aren't churning out every conceivable machine/item now because you don't need all that functionality in hardware form and of quality like you did in 1989. this one is ahrd to explain if you don't know what I mean

so yeah that's why. the real rise in price of the last 5 years is the cheap and not so good products as far as I have seen as theres nothing coming out to replace them

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 32710

I think FMB pegged it. Limited supply due to passage of time and increased demand, mostly due to the internet and the ease and popularity of music production in general.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
someplace else

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
the music hasn't fuckin moved on its not an analogue revival its 17 trillion more young lads and lasses making music now because of ease of access to software
See this is the very reason why I figured the prices would be lower these days. So many people out there using cracked FL Studio + a gazillion plugins and a $100 knob laden controller that the prices should drop, not go up. I don't see the market for hardware multitrack recorders going up at all because everyone just records straight into their PC or Mac. Likewise why buy an old temperamental Prophet V with ZERO MIDI functionality when NI's Pro53 sounds great and can be controlled from your sequencer in ways the original couldn't? I know why I would buy that stuff, but not the young'ns just getting into it who have never had to create a patch using the front panel buttons on a hardware rack mounted synth (like the TG55).

Quote:
also new stuff gets made all the time but not in the same way it was before. now you can buy a fancy effecs box for 400 quid that's great and all but these companies aren't churning out every conceivable machine/item now because you don't need all that functionality in hardware form and of quality like you did in 1989. this one is ahrd to explain if you don't know what I mean
I get that part and all. The old stuff HAD to be good on some level.

Last edited by logic7; 21-10-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Old 21-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts

its a combination of all of those things. in the 90's (GET OFF MY LAWN BTW) i got a Korg Poly6 for 50 bucks.

now? im seeing them go for 800.

I'm actually guilty of the exact same thing as the OP.

Had a ton of hardware, moved, sold some off, came into hard times and sold the rest of it off. I got into IDM and realized that I could do a TON with reaktor and absynth, largely gave up on hardware synths as a whole and now I'm back in the hardware game.

Fortunately, Korg and Roland to the rescue, I've been able to re-stock the studio on the cheap (relatively) w new tech and re-issue stuff.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310

People jack up the prices because some one with more money than sense will buy it for "That sound wot i hear on dat song" and believe it's the key to making a song worth hearing.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
A.M (22-10-2017)
Old 21-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

I bought an Korg MS2000 ( keyboard version) on ebay for 300€ smt like ten years ago. Then sometime later I sold it for the same price.
(I sold everything I had at that time.)
So, last year I thought I could get it back...yeah right...600€ for this synth cmon!!??
I still want it back.

Last edited by Schnork; 21-10-2017 at 10:42 PM..

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
logic7
Soundscaper
someplace else

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
its a combination of all of those things. in the 90's (GET OFF MY LAWN BTW) i got a Korg Poly6 for 50 bucks.

now? im seeing them go for 800.

I'm actually guilty of the exact same thing as the OP.

Had a ton of hardware, moved, sold some off, came into hard times and sold the rest of it off. I got into IDM and realized that I could do a TON with reaktor and absynth, largely gave up on hardware synths as a whole and now I'm back in the hardware game.

Fortunately, Korg and Roland to the rescue, I've been able to re-stock the studio on the cheap (relatively) w new tech and re-issue stuff.
See I don't really have an interest in the reissue stuff. And besides, they're not reissuing the stuff I want which means going back to ebay to find that stuff.

Meh... I might just say "screw it" and just get a DS330/SC33 and a Boss DR660, mixer, nanoverb and compressor, and call it a day.
Old 21-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537280
Thanked 6,927 Times in 4,931 Posts

Just one man's opinion but Id seriously have a look at some of the new gear that abounds...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic7 View Post
See I don't really have an interest in the reissue stuff. And besides, they're not reissuing the stuff I want which means going back to ebay to find that stuff.

Meh... I might just say "screw it" and just get a DS330/SC33 and a Boss DR660, mixer, nanoverb and compressor, and call it a day.

ok

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
please actually do that I want to hear what you can do

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #15
logic7
Soundscaper
someplace else

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
please actually do that I want to hear what you can do
This whole journey back into hardware was triggered by stumbling across this video.

The whole track was done on a Boss DS330 exclusively. I did a little more digging and I found out that the DS330 as well as the rest of Roland's Sound Canvas line have the ability to manipulate pretty much everything you can think of in realtime via MIDI cc. When I had mine I never really got into manipulating the sounds much, so this revelation meant that there was a whole side of the thing that I left untapped for sounds. I always wanted a DR660 as well, but the opportunity to buy an R8 w/electronic card for $200 presented itself before I bought one. I still wanted one, but then an R5 popped up so I bought that. Even with those two machines I STILL wanted a DR660 but then I got the opportunity to get an R8mkII with a buttload of cards with it so I sold both of my other machines to get it.

I have some bills to pay, got a few things to get to keep the missus happy, then I'm going to find them both.

Last edited by logic7; 23-10-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Thanks to logic7
chasedobson (21-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029441
Thanked 7,240 Times in 4,500 Posts

Hey, you know we live in a time now where some people buy used and refurbished sneakers online for hugely inflated prices, yeah?
I know.

My advice is that you should spend a few weeks really thinking about which sounds and techniques you really MUST have again from all that old gear and go and buy a combination of new PC, software, controllers and synths and maybe 1 or 2 of your favourite old machines to satisfy what you currently think you want.

Honestly, most of those sounds can be done better (quality-wise those old synths are often very noisy on the output), quicker and more cheaply and with more individual controls and with easier save/recall now than they could on the original machines.

I've also owned most of those synths, and let's be honest, none of them were really the best those companies had to offer tbh.
Don't get hung up on getting your exact setup back again because it wasn't that awesome. (not trying to be rude, we all have a budget)

For example the JX3P is not as good as the JX8P and the 8 is currently approx 200 more with controller. If you really need the 3 then you might aswell get an 8. However, if you got some good Jupiter emulation software, you would still get that lovely Roland sound but with so much more options and flexibility. The Jupiter kicks the crap out of a 3P and I think you would enjoy the wider range of tonal flexibility more than the feeling of owning the exact same old synth that was always a compromise in the first place.
Similarly, I'd go with a TX81Z over a TX7 personally, but again FM8 kills them both today.
The R8 is very dated and not very flexible at all. You could easily get a better software drum machine for the same price.
And so on.

I reckon when you acquire all this stuff again, very shortly after the initial buzz of collecting it you will feel a bit deflated and a little bit silly for spending so much money on outdated mediocre synths.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Hey, you know we live in a time now where some people buy used and refurbished sneakers online for hugely inflated prices, yeah?
I know.

My advice is that you should spend a few weeks really thinking about which sounds and techniques you really MUST have again from all that old gear and go and buy a combination of new PC, software, controllers and synths and maybe 1 or 2 of your favourite old machines to satisfy what you currently think you want.

Honestly, most of those sounds can be done better (quality-wise those old synths are often very noisy on the output), quicker and more cheaply and with more individual controls and with easier save/recall now than they could on the original machines.

I've also owned most of those synths, and let's be honest, none of them were really the best those companies had to offer tbh.
Don't get hung up on getting your exact setup back again because it wasn't that awesome. (not trying to be rude, we all have a budget)

For example the JX3P is not as good as the JX8P and the 8 is currently approx 200 more with controller. If you really need the 3 then you might aswell get an 8. However, if you got some good Jupiter emulation software, you would still get that lovely Roland sound but with so much more options and flexibility. The Jupiter kicks the crap out of a 3P and I think you would enjoy the wider range of tonal flexibility more than the feeling of owning the exact same old synth that was always a compromise in the first place.
Similarly, I'd go with a TX81Z over a TX7 personally, but again FM8 kills them both today.
The R8 is very dated and not very flexible at all. You could easily get a better software drum machine for the same price.
And so on.

I reckon when you acquire all this stuff again, very shortly after the initial buzz of collecting it you will feel a bit deflated and a little bit silly for spending so much money on outdated mediocre synths.
Holy balls dude, I'm not used to actually seeing you talk about music. I feel like it's always about the forum or other more grandiose designs. Or shitposts.

To add to the OP's subject, I'm gonna go with Relic here and suggest new stuff. You can get nice monos and polys from the mainstream manufacturers all day under $500 new, and a slight discount here or there for the used items. A lot of it is discrete analog, some of it is hybrid. I'd personally be into the Ms-20 mini, minilogue, jd-xi, microkorg, bass station II, or one of the roland botique synths.

And that doesn't even touch some of the great semi-modular stuff that starts at $500 like the 0-coast, system1-m, mother 32, dreadbox's stuff, and so many others I can't even name.

Personally, I've arrived at a point where I look at how much money I'd spend on the small stuff and how much space it would take up and I've decided that I'd like to start down the hardware road with one big bad synth like a Prophet Rev2 or a MatrixBrute. Those are expensive, but they're blowing any 80s or 90s tech out of the water and I'm sure either one would have enough going on to keep me entertained for months, if not years.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #18
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

Yeah, better go for a Computer with DAW and a decent midi controller keyboard + Hardware drum machine and 1-2 hardware synths.
There's really no point in getting that exact setup back ( except for emotional reasons).

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926

people actually think they sound better ... like vinyl xDxDxdxDXDxDx

aeoR is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #20
A.M

..and one very important thing left out of all of this is that every famous classic you hear that was recorded was actually mastered after it was performed..meaning for anyone new to all of this, that the end sound that came out the end is not actually the same as you hear when you played the thing in the first place.

That's not saying every classic album / single every record sounded shit in the studio before mastering, just that there seems to be this misunderstanding that old analog gear will sound great and make your music really cool..it won't. They were really limited back then in what could be done and had to take a lot on board pre..during..and post recording, to end up with the classics we're all used to..some even invented stuff on the spot, that we all take for granted these days.

Basically, having old gear is not the same thing as actually knowing how to use it and how it can fit in with a modern studio setup, which is something some folks don't even stop to think about.

Last edited by A.M; 22-10-2017 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: TYPOS...TYPOS...TYPOS...TYPOS...TYPOS...TYPOS...TYPOS

Advertisements

------------------