Cheap Places to Live?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 13-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Icon2 Cheap Places to Live?

I am seriously sick of being poor in my current state and city in USA. The cost of living has gotten so high and affordable housing has effectively phased out of existence! The poor neighborhoods are somewhat funded by crime and junkfood stores and none of the investors will commit to building stuff we actually need like local grocery stores! Meanwhile the federal mess is about to collapse on everybody nationwide anyhow, because of the Tramp ButtTrumpet Administration Dedicated to Making the Richest Richer While Stealing From The Poor And MiddleClass And Promising Them Everything They Ever Wanted Via Blatant Lies And MisDirection

So here's where I'm thinking of going.

I've always admired dub music...

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ountry=Jamaica
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=USD&To=JMD

I can move the decimal point a few places.
Maybe I could get into the local music scenes there and really get some nice cultural input and output.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541280
Thanked 7,007 Times in 4,979 Posts
Re: Cheap Places to Live?

Maybe I’m totally full of shit and someone please correct me, but I think there is a lot of civil unrest, violence and poverty in Jamacia. So. I dunno. Something to ponder : )

Though when I say it outloud I’m like “Oh, that sounds like America anyway.”

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

hehe, well said, brother. But at least I wouldn't be discriminated against constantly because of color of skin. Thanks.

------------------
Old 13-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Ohio is cheap, but I wouldn’t really recommend moving here. Its the political and social dark ages right now. Way too many Trump flags and not enough <3

------------------
Old 13-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Daggit
Master of the LFO

That's ironic that you mention that. Ohio showed up in my preliminary searches too. Weather there is somewhat mild year round too! I do agee with you about the dark ages. It sucks. Most of the places that seem appealing to me politically are either in other countries or are in extremely cold and wet and dark parts of america/canada. I'm pretty strong and know how to drive on ice and stuff like that, but I can't stand it. Cold kicks my ass. And I don't want to go to any ghettoish parts of the us either. And I wouldn't survive being anyplace that has an abundance of active hate groups (which is very common!)

http://splcenter.org

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/12/747489...n-america-maps

------------------
Old 13-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I guess you could say Ohio is mild. Generally it doesn't get nasty cold until January, usually February and March are pretty bad. Things usually look up by mid April, but I remember blizzards at Easter.

There are certainly active hate groups here and people are pretty ignorant, even near and in the city. I honestly can't say I'd want to be black, brown or LGBT in Ohio.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Daggit (15-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #7
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

NOT CALIFORNIA LOL

My buddy just got back from Texas with his girl looking at places in the Dallas area, he lives in Southern California currently, said great prices and GREAT space for the price. v0v just my two cents
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
Daggit (15-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

FL is cheap, but if your AC dies, so do you
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
FL is cheap, but if your AC dies, so do you
Not joking, I was very confused by the topics turning to Fruity Loops and Assassin's Creed.

Also, not California, they're starting to have regular news and genuine discussion about how out of hand it is here. Pick a nice, flat square state. Should work.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

It seems to me that things are getting harder almost everywhere.

I'm a privileged native Scandinavian, but I'm not sure I'd recommend moving here. People are friendly to foreigners on the surface, but unlikely to help you if shit hits the fan. Scandinavians are generally well educated though, so intellectually it might be a step up from American hate-group mentality I suppose.

There's still the thing about the cold climate of course, although people who move here tend to get used to that after a while, - mostly by using drugs and alcohol.

I did some reading up on Jamaica a while back btw, and I wouldn't really recommend going unless you already have some solid connections in place there. Roots music and Rastafarianism only reflect a small portion of the Jamaican culture, and like Relic already mentioned, they have huge problems with poverty and violent crime (for years the highest murder rate in the world).

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 14-10-2017 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
Daggit (15-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377667

I live in New Jersey. Am single. No college. Make a bit over $20 an hour at a retail warehouse. Have a $160,000 home and spend money precariously. I really don't know what my point is beside, either figure your shit out and work hard or accept that you are from an unfortunate area and move. That's America.

Never rely on government or state institutions for living. We have to work within its laws and boundaries but we do not have to succumb to them completely. Propagate individual accountability and responsibility.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Focalized
Daggit (15-10-2017)
Old 15-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #12
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

Memphis TN is cheap and getting cooler all the time. I bought a solid 1934 brick house in a neighborhood that's on its way up for $34,000. #gentrification

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 03:57 AM   #13
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Definitely not Austin. I say that because on average it's a fairly high standard of living within the city. I'm actually about to move back into the city limits after being out in the periphery of the city, pretty much in the sticks/boonies and the monthly rent payment is half of what I'll be paying for being in a suburban home within the city limits.

I've always kinda wanted to move to Vancouver, BC or if I was really feeling adventurous, Denmark in a place like Helsingor or even Helsingborg in Sweden which is right across the bay.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Daggit (15-10-2017)
Old 15-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #14
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108150
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,390 Posts

Oh I have a fun game for you for vancouver!!! This is a couple years old now so you should probably multiply by like 3.

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/part2.html

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Blingley (16-10-2017)
Old 16-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #15
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

"Mansion."
"Wrong. Bank of Canada. Manufacturer of cheap credit; Another dangerous and wildly addictive substance."

------------------
Blingley is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #16
Inna Selez
Analog Lurker
Inna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Don't be very radical and spontaneous. Try first to move to another state with cheaper cost living.
Inna Selez is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154810
Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,860 Posts

Montreal is not cheap anymore. Stay away.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Daggit (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
Daggit
Master of the LFO

Thanks guys, this is helpful. So far several sources here and on websites have mentioned Ohio. So I really might move there for real. I'm not very tied down where I live now, and there's nothing left for me here anymore.

------------------
Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #19
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town
MC Status: 360

Africa pretty cheap guys. I'm just saying

tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Ohio is cheap, but I wouldn’t really recommend moving here. Its the political and social dark ages right now. Way too many Trump flags and not enough <3
I'm from Ohio, Akron to be exact. You're right, and a lot of the other groups now are against white people thanks to these issues.....I live in China now and teach with a free apartment, can't beat that but it's a lot of change compared to back home.

What about PA? Heard it's similar to Ohio in price if you live in a smaller city.

Advertisements

------------------
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote