After the drop... how do you compose the verse?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 13-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
heydavid714
IDMf's latest spammer
heydavid714 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
After the drop... how do you compose the verse?

Hi All,

I find it easy to create the chord progression for a drop and write the melody.

I struggle when it comes to the verse though. Are there any tips to creating a verse progression based off of what you have with the drop?

Advertisements

heydavid714 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410
Re: After the drop... how do you compose the verse?

not entirely sure I'm answering correctly but if you have a verse that doesn't move too much and build a little tension, the release in the chorus/drop whatever is more powerful.

like this song... I find it becomes uncomfortable in the verse then delivers huge at the chorus
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Johnson Academy (13-10-2017)
Old 13-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3910

One way is to make the verse a series of key changes that lead up to the tonality of the part you want to stand out (the chorus).

You can do this by writing the chords in the opposite order (finding the last one first etc). If you end up starting your verse in a key that's too far away from the chorus, you might need to add a transition that leads from the chorus back to the verse as well.

If you don't know what I'm on about, I suggest reading up on diatonic chords and typical key changes (modulation) used in pop and jazz music.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 14-10-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
relic (13-10-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Cirush
IDMf's latest spammer
Cirush will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

It's always up to you. There are always tipical chords progressions in every genre and decade, for example IV-V-VI, I-V-VI-IV, IV-VI-I-V, are some tipicals progresions.
Music as everything in live are not absotule values but relatives. I mean if you want to keep in the chorus fat and wide you must keep it quite little in the verse.
Try to do same chords in verse and in chorus but change timbres, introduce new sounds. Then add a bridge between that is based on those chords but not the same. Listen to some music and see that a lot of songs are written that way.

It always depends on your goals for your tracks, the character you want to give and subjetive perspective.
Sorry for my bad english, in case you dont understand me I will try to explain better.

Advertisements

Cirush is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cirush
Iyashi Sound (04-11-2017)