Got an electric guitar, need help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 18-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
MobileOak
Microknight
MobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud of
Seattle
MC Status: 1260
Got an electric guitar, need help

A friend of mine recently loaned me his electric guitar, but no cords or anything.

I want to hook it up to my PC / DAW, but I don't have any hardware for connecting the two, and don't even know what I need to get that working.

What is the bare minimum I need in order to make this work? I don't have any sort of special audio card in my PC.

Advertisements

MobileOak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810
Re: Got an electric guitar, need help

Well you need a basic audio interface, USB would work.
Look at the focusrite ones, they seem pretty good.
Next would be an amp simulator software, I use guitar rig 5 but there's a bunch more out there.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Vault O))) (19-09-2017)
Old 18-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
MobileOak
Microknight
MobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud of
Seattle

What kind of cable(s) would I need then?

I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing.
Old 18-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileOak View Post
What kind of cable(s) would I need then?

I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing.
Probably a quarter inch male/male cable. Most modern audio interfaces have "combi jacks" which take either quarter inch or XLR.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060

1/4" TS (tip/sleeve) instrument cable. Like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Should be able to pick them up locally as well - just ask for a "guitar cable" and they'll know what you want. Don't pay a lot, they don't get better as the price goes up for the most part.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Well you need a basic audio interface, USB would work.
Look at the focusrite ones, they seem pretty good.
Next would be an amp simulator software, I use guitar rig 5 but there's a bunch more out there.
This x1,000 if you don't want to invest in a shitload of physical gear. You can record pretty minimally nowadays and get a pretty decent tone, and GR5 is damn good.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9310

Line 6 Helix is also an interface and has an XLR in. It also is glorious. Not cheap but kill a flock of birds with one stone

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Vault O))) (19-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
MobileOak
Microknight
Seattle

I ordered a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 off of sweetwater.com, along with a male-male cable. I already have the Shred Amp Simulator in my DAW, so I think I'm good to go, once it arrives. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Old 19-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'm not trying to get on your case but.... buy cheap, buy twice... is a something I've found to be pretty true with music equipment along my journey. Not that you have to spend a fortune...but it took me a long time to learn my lesson.

I think Behringer pulls some more than decent "diamonds in the rough" out of their asses pretty regularly (many reports on their new synths seem promising). I just hope you read some user reviews from around the web before buying...I've literally never come across a recommendation for one of their audio interfaces. On the other hand I've been quite happy with several of their producst myself : )

Hope the new gear works out for you!

------------------
Thanks to relic
envelope3 (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #10
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
I ordered a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 off of sweetwater.com, along with a male-male cable. I already have the Shred Amp Simulator in my DAW, so I think I'm good to go, once it arrives. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
I've personally been eyeballing the U-Phoria line for quite some time. I think an Amazon order error is the only reason why I still haven't gotten one of the cheaper ones. Reviews make it look ace.

Behringer pedals, though? For future reference, just say no. Behringer is good at utilitarian stuff and terrible when it comes to tone, IMO. I even had one of their guitars (some USB shit) and it was horrible.

------------------
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

Can't you just buy direct 1/4 inch to usb cable with built-in converter?
Yep.

20 from Maplin/Radio Shack.

I'd have thought that was the cheapest, easiest solution for a beginner.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
MobileOak
Microknight
Seattle

Wow, I didn't think something like that was possible.
Old 21-09-2017, 02:25 AM   #13
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9310

Be warned, just imagine what kind of converter is in that cable. I think you'd be better off with even the most basic interface.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
FRAZDOG (25-09-2017)
Old 21-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

I doubt he's laying tracks for the next GnR record or anything.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Vault O))) (22-09-2017)
Old 22-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #15
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt

I used to use earbuds to mic my guitar (no amp) and record through my PC's mic jack. Therefore, I don't see any problem with that cord up there

------------------
Old 25-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
MobileOak
Microknight
Seattle

I had a very frustrating weekend trying to get things to work, and failed.

I got the Interface and cable on Friday, and connected the Interface via USB to my computer, and then plugged the cable into the guitar and the interface's line 1 input. Tried a bunch of settings in my DAW, couldn't seem to get it to work at all.

Finally figured out that I needed a driver for the Audio Interface.

I went to the official site, which pointed me to the ASIO4All driver. I installed that, and then fiddled with settings some more in my DAW, which could now see "ASIO4All USB device."

Still nothing worked.

I finally found on the official site's forums a thread talking about how the ASIO4All driver didn't work on Windows 10 with their Audio Interface, and found a link to another driver that people were saying did the right thing.

Installed that driver, uninstalled the ASIO4All driver. Now my DAW can see the Audio Interface down to the model number. Should be good, right? Nope. Plucking on the guitar after arming an audio track still generated no sound. Turned on the in DAW monitor, was still getting nothing. Went to plug some headphones into the Audio Interface built-in monitor and realized it only accepts the larger form factor (I don't know the official terms for this) not my smaller headphone plug in. Couldn't monitor out of the Audio Interface to see if it's getting sound or not.

Am I missing something obvious here? I have never played an electric guitar before, I've never hooked one up to an Audio Interface, nor have I ever owned an Audio Interface before. I ended up getting too frustrated and quitting and didn't circle back to it yet.
Old 25-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #17
FRAZDOG
Space Cowboy
FRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MC
Centennial, Colorado
MC Status: 2330317

Try and trace back the signal flow. It sounds like you're headed the right direction. I believe you have it traced all the way back to your guitar. My first question is the volume knob, did you make sure it's turned up? Do you know if the guitar has active pickups? If so, you might want to pop in a fresh 9V battery, and when you are done playing, make sure you disconnect the instrument cable from the guitar.

Did the manual for the interface have anything about troubleshooting no output?

------------------
FRAZDOG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

What DAW are you using? "arming an audio track" may not be enough. You may have to tell the daw/track which audio input to look for singal from.

If you didn't, I'd also recommend reading any specific installation instructions for the audio interface. Often they instruct one, very specifically, to not hook up the hardware physically until after installation. There also may be addtional drivers or some such you need to install.

I'd recommend reading your DAW's manual on how to record external audio.

------------------
Thanks to relic
FRAZDOG (25-09-2017)
Old 26-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Went to plug some headphones into the Audio Interface built-in monitor and realized it only accepts the larger form factor (I don't know the official terms for this) not my smaller headphone plug in.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

what's your DAW?
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt

If all else fails

Advertisements

------------------