Electribe 2 - sample mode issue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
Electribe 2 Blue

So, I am enjoying the Electribe 2, blue version which seems to do a lot of things.

The one problem I have come across is that I cannot get it to go into sample mode, this makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it or am I missing something?

By holding shift and rec, it should enter sample mode and record the audio in.

I can hear the audio in fine and have selected audio in on the desired pad via the osc, but after recording has completed there is no recording.

It should display sample mode, but this is not coming up.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by DoomBrain; 20-08-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3810
Re: Electribe 2 - sample mode issue

Dude. If you have the blue Electribe, it's not the sampler, it's the synth. The Electribe samplers are either black mk 1, or pink mk 2.
Electribe 2 Synth:
Electribe 2 Sampler:
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts

Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics, but I feel like when I first got mine I had the same problem and there was something I wasn't doing. I think maybe there is an input volume you might have to turn up or something?

I'd recommend looking up a YouTube demo, I'm sure there is one, of how to record a sample and compare notes. I'll try to have a look here myself.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25910

Blue one is synth, doesn't sample!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

OH shit. I missed that he said he had the blue version.

------------------
Old 20-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold

That embarrassing moment when you rush back to the forum to delete your retarded post, only to find that there are already replies.

Grateful for the response, just watched this video which explains the difference between all the colour tribes:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Not to worry, it's a great machine but wish I hand'nt spent two hours looking for something which wasn't there. Interesting thought though, what exactly is behind this tribe not recording the samples, because the audio thru in is there, is this just a software difference?
Thanks to DoomBrain
jbvdb493 (20-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Yes. At one point you could actually "hack" the Electribe and install the Sampler OS. I don't think its possible anymore. You can still use the input to affect live audio with the filters and FX on the Blue version. You just can't record the audio.

------------------
Old 20-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

IIRC there you can change the firmware on the new Tribes, hardware is the same so in theory you can switch from Sampler to Synth and vice versa. Unfortunately I donīt think it has ever worked successfully....Ask Automaggeddon, he went through the whole procedure at some point.

*edit
relic beat me to it

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

FWIW, I think the Blue Electribe is perfectly capable. Don't forget you can do some percussion synthesis with its synth voices. And given that you can record knob movements you can do some cool mophring percussion patch stuff.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: many folks, including Auto I believe, did succesfully swap out OS. I think, not sure, that I heard a few people did brick their Electribes doing this. And I'm pretty sure Korg put a stop that all that in an OS update not long after people figured out the hack. From what I know it wasn't quick and easy so it wasn't really a practical solution.

I think there is a market for a "super" electribe that has sampling, full filter options and all the oscillators in one sixteen track groovebox. If they could do that for less than $800 I'd buy it.

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (20-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
That embarrassing moment when you rush back to the forum to delete your retarded post, only to find that there are already replies.

Grateful for the response, just watched this video which explains the difference between all the colour tribes:

Not to worry, it's a great machine but wish I hand'nt spent two hours looking for something which wasn't there. Interesting thought though, what exactly is behind this tribe not recording the samples, because the audio thru in is there, is this just a software difference?
No worries, imo the synth is better, the sampler sounds like a sample management nightmare! Have fun with it. And an iPad is a great companion to if imo.

------------------
Old 20-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

This makes sense on the cheaper price point, but glad to hear it's still a good buy.

Interesting on the hack but definitely not worth the risk to brick it, besides I have heard some amazing stuff on Youtube from just the built in sounds:

This below video of ambient music is amazing imo, this guy has made some inspiring tracks on it, worth a listen if you have time.

There are a few help videos on the ET as the manual is pretty basic. What I have found is to make sure to lock the pattern knob or you can loose your work by accidentally switching to the built in patterns.
Old 20-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
This makes sense on the cheaper price point, but glad to hear it's still a good buy.

Interesting on the hack but definitely not worth the risk to brick it, besides I have heard some amazing stuff on Youtube from just the built in sounds:

This below video of ambient music is amazing imo, this guy has made some inspiring tracks on it, worth a listen if you have time.

There are a few help videos on the ET as the manual is pretty basic. What I have found is to make sure to lock the pattern knob or you can loose your work by accidentally switching to the built in patterns.
Get a little p touch thing from your work or something and print out the shift pad presses and glue them above the pads, so much easier!
Edit: if I didn't have the digitakt on the way I might've gotten an electribe, with the iPad it would make great material to sample into an octatrack.

------------------
Old 21-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: many folks, including Auto I believe, did succesfully swap out OS. I think, not sure, that I heard a few people did brick their Electribes doing this. And I'm pretty sure Korg put a stop that all that in an OS update not long after people figured out the hack. From what I know it wasn't quick and easy so it wasn't really a practical solution.
Oh, I see!

Quote:
I think there is a market for a "super" electribe that has sampling, full filter options and all the oscillators in one sixteen track groovebox. If they could do that for less than $800 I'd buy it.
Ofc there is a market! Synth gear has become a mass market anyway...But pls...16 bars! I mean, the old Tribes had 8 Bars, new ones have 4...Cīmon give us 16 LEDs - Canīt be rocket science. Damnit!

------------------
Old 21-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Can anyone recommend any good USB audio interfaces to record this on the laptop?

I have seen a few decent ones but most only have inputs for the XLR cables, where I am guessing I need one with the RCA inputs? (jack to rca?).
Old 21-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
Schnork
Deep Underground

You need 1/4 jack. Usually audio interfaces have XLR/Jack Combinations. Accepts both.
Which one depends how many ins/outs you need...Focusrite, Steinberg, Presonus all have decent interfaces in the 100-200 bucks range. Focusrite Scarlett Series, Steinberg UR22/UR242, Presonus Audiobox Series or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 are a few popular ones.

------------------
Old 21-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

You can also export loops to the SD card (as a workaround in the meantime).

As for an audio interface I'm a huge MOTU fan, though that may be out of your price range depending on the options you are looking for. If you think you will buy more hardware in the future (6 months from now or two years from now) it is probably worth buying an interface with more inputs than you need. Also, you'll probably want to go ahead and get an interface with MIDI I/O so you can sync hardware with your DAW.

Last edited by relic; 21-08-2017 at 10:03 PM..

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (21-08-2017)
Old 22-08-2017, 01:25 AM   #17
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

You could always get one of these cheap for now, and then save up for something better.

33 quid.
It does the job.
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
DoomBrain (22-08-2017)
Old 22-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #18
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
You could always get one of these cheap for now, and then save up for something better.

33 quid.
It does the job.
I did notice this before on a review, but did notice the build quality may not be that great.

For a bit extra cash would this Yamaha AG03 be a better option?

Quote:
You can also export loops to the SD card (as a workaround in the meantime).

Relic : As for an audio interface I'm a huge MOTU fan, though that may be out of your price range depending on the options you are looking for. If you think you will buy more hardware in the future (6 months from now or two years from now) it is probably worth buying an interface with more inputs than you need. Also, you'll probably want to go ahead and get an interface with MIDI I/O so you can sync hardware with your DAW.
This is a good option for now, havent tried it but should be interesting.

I have a midi to usb cable already, so I assume I can connect this to the laptop as well as syncing to an audio interface?
Old 22-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight

Had no problems with my 502 usb, still use it to route stuff into my FX processor, just there's no on of switch so you have to unplug it, and no FX onboard. You do get 2 1/4 inch stereo ins. 1 mono line in or xlr mic input, and 1 srereo rca, if you need it, so you can have 4 pieces of hardware conected at the same time if ones a mono, or 3 and a mic, which I did at one point.
Not sure about the usb midi thing, as I've never needed to go that route.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
Schnork
Deep Underground

Quote:

I have a midi to usb cable already, so I assume I can connect this to the laptop as well as syncing to an audio interface?
A Midi to USB Converter Cable letīs you plug a synth on one side and a computer on the other and enables you to send MIDI from the computer (DAW) to the synth and vice versa. Iīve never had one, but it should also sync the synth via MIDI. Basically the same funcionatlity the MIDI Ins and Outs on an Audio Interface provide.

But dude, pls get one of these in the 100-150 bucks price range:

If you want to go the cheap route, do some google moogle on this one from Behringer:

I mean, probaply a small cheapo usb mixer will work fine for you (even the really cheap ones from Behringer will do), but audio interface is such a vital part (all your audio goes through it!) and good latency, stable drivers and features like Midi In Out, direct monitoring (Letīs you monitor the Ins directly, thus you can play and record without having to deal with latency) are like your backbone.

Last edited by Schnork; 23-08-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
jbvdb493 (23-08-2017)