Acoustic drums & electronic music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
mikemath7
Regular Freak
mikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Acoustic drums & electronic music

I'm a drummer who's really interested in composing electronic music. I was wondering, is there people here who have tried merging acoustic drums into electronic music environment?

I'm currently on a project to push myself into creating, recording and releasing a piece of music that I can perform all by myself without compromise, using my drum kit and a bunch of electronic music gadgets that Iíve come to own.

For me, it's a whole new creative process with challenges I never experienced in making music before. To combat those challenges I've even started to write a blog to help me deal better with them. Putting the project out in public right away serves as a way to achieve maximum productivity, because now I really can't quit!

Would be really cool to hear your thoughts and experiences on the subject, which could help me get the project done!

Advertisements

mikemath7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mikemath7
Deadly Rhythm (27-07-2017)
Old 26-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Re: Acoustic drums & electronic music

A lot of the good material by Meat Beat Manifesto has loops of acoustic drums supplemented with some nice fills and rolls. Similarly, Portishead's music does too.

Also, some of Front242's music has acoustic drum mixed with electronic drums.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemath7 View Post
I'm a drummer who's really interested in composing electronic music. I was wondering, is there people here who have tried merging acoustic drums into electronic music environment?

I'm currently on a project to push myself into creating, recording and releasing a piece of music that I can perform all by myself without compromise, using my drum kit and a bunch of electronic music gadgets that Iíve come to own.

For me, it's a whole new creative process with challenges I never experienced in making music before. To combat those challenges I've even started to write a blog to help me deal better with them. Putting the project out in public right away serves as a way to achieve maximum productivity, because now I really can't quit!

Would be really cool to hear your thoughts and experiences on the subject, which could help me get the project done!
I'm predominantly a drummer also and in a few of my productions I have featured live drums.

I've recently written a track albeit not yet finished with live drums at the end.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Check it out if you fancy it.

I will always strive for something natural sounding in electronic music and acoustic drums seem to fill a large void within the frequency spectrum.
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deadly Rhythm
mikemath7 (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
mikemath7
Regular Freak
mikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Rhythm View Post
I will always strive for something natural sounding in electronic music and acoustic drums seem to fill a large void within the frequency spectrum.
Sounds like you really achieved what you're striving for there! I like your approach, really subtle and serves the song really well! Definitely something I'd like to incorporate in my stuff.
Thanks to mikemath7
Deadly Rhythm (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

yea i mainly make drum and bass and use real drums all the time
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
mikemath7 (28-07-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
mikemath7
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
yea i mainly make drum and bass and use real drums all the time
Sounds cool. Do you play your melodic parts live along when you play drums, or do you record samples of your drumming and then put them on the track?

Advertisements