Korg R3 vs Miniak
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 16-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5660
Korg R3 vs Miniak

Im looking for a synth under $300 and my research points to the the MiniAK or the R3 as being close to what I want. I'm looking to get more into creating my own patches/editing presets and depending less on stock presets (though I'm not against using them). I also use step sequencing a lot, so I need a synth with a decent sequencer.

As I understand the MiniAK is a pain to edit and the vocoder isn't as good as the R3 but it sounds better. I'm not a huge fan of the Korg sound but I can work with it. I did like what I've heard of the miniak. Both have sequencers.

Anyone here have any experience with or a preference of the 2?
Are there other options I'm overlooking that would be a good fit?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860
Re: Korg R3 vs Miniak

No opinions on either, but I am curious why the need for a sequencer?
As opposed to using one you might already have?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5660

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
No opinions on either, but I am curious why the need for a sequencer?
As opposed to using one you might already have?
I prefer to be able to compose on a piece of gear without needing other pieces. But I think, due to finances, I might finally start using some of the many free VSTs out there and just get a decent midi controller, (looking at the maudio axiom 25) while sticking with the qy-70 as my sketchpad/sequencer.

It wont have the portability I want, and I try to stay as out of the box as possible, but in the long run the music will benefit more.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

Have you thought about the Korg Monologue? Dunno if you are looking for polyphony, but it sounds pretty damn good plus a step sequencer that allows knob movement recording : ) I really don't know either of those synths at all so... can't make a good alternative suggestion.

If you don't mind digital and want polyphony you might be able to get a Novation MiniNova for a decent price, not quite as nice to program as its big brother (UltraNova) but has some cool perfomance tricks up its sleeves.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (29-06-2017)
Old 29-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Geeogi
IDMf's latest spammer
Geeogi is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i have experience only with the R3.

I find it very easy to use, and particularly easy to modify patches etc. The options for modifying are great too –I've always been able to modify the things i needed. Particularly with their step sequencer function which allows you to mod parameters using a recorded sequence of automation.

The r3 has a great sound. It sounds like a synth, not like a computer (a good thing). Though I don't find the sound quite as compelling as the Roland Gaia –that is a super fun synth.

The vocoder is great and super handy that the r3 comes with a goose neck microphone. Much easier to use than a mic stand etc.

On reflection, I would have bought a synth that has more knobs and buttons i.e. gaia or radias. With soft synths sounding better and better, the main factor which attracts me to using a synth is the fun factor of messing with the buttons.
Geeogi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Oldskooltekno
IDMf's latest spammer
Oldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the roughOldskooltekno is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

the Arturia Microbrute Analog Synthesizer sells for 300
has a step sequencer and has a lot of sound making shaping capabilities

the only thing is the keyboard is kind of small so only pretty much one octave .
Oldskooltekno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
beautifulhurl
Regular Freak
beautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the rough
Baltimore
MC Status: 260

The Miniak is pretty strong, it has the same engine as the Alesis Micron. I ended up selling it because it felt like I was diving through menus too often, and it ended up being a bit too heavy for my rig at the time, as it was surprisingly heavy. That said, it can do a lot, and it has some interesting filters, so you could find it perfect for a lot of different purposes.

Advertisements

beautifulhurl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote