Mixxx DJ Software
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts
Mixxx DJ Software

Anyone using this free software? How are you finding it to work with? Is it any good? Is it worth splashing out for a similar fee-based program instead..or does this really work as well as others online say?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Post your thoughts on it, if any and let us know what you think.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538780
Thanked 6,957 Times in 4,949 Posts
Re: Mixxx DJ Software

I've seen it come up in conversation before but not tried it. I have used quite a few different commercial DJ software programs and to me they are all basically the same. I'm going to be digging into Traktor again here around the end of the month so maybe I'll give this a go along side it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I've seen it come up in conversation before but not tried it. I have used quite a few different commercial DJ software programs and to me they are all basically the same. I'm going to be digging into Traktor again here around the end of the month so maybe I'll give this a go along side it.

Cheers, A..I'd really appreciate your coming back to me on this, given you've tinkered with other programs like this in the past. I've been thinking of dabbling in mixing / DJ'ing for a very long time, but never really did anything about it in any sort of serious way.

This looks like something that I could at least use to get up and running at no cost, so if I end up sucking at it, then at least it hasn't cost anything. But I just want to know if it stacks up to other programs out there and if it lacks anything I should be keeping in mind.

------------------
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538780
Thanked 6,957 Times in 4,949 Posts

Cool. Yea. I will grab a copy and let you know what I think versus Traktor. I've also used Numark CUE (ages ago, I think it is something different now). I've also used Serato.

I went and had a look at the features and I honestly see no major differences between it and Traktor (which I've used the most).

A thought on something that is rather inexpensive--there is a pretty cool program called MixMeister. It works more like a DAW and you create mixes by drawing automation curves not in real time. I had a...erm..."borrowed" copy of it a long time ago that I used just to quickly make mixes of my favorite DnB tunes for the car or I would sketch out what I wanted to do then practice making it happen live. I think I had their "Studio" version, but the "Lite" version doesn't seem to be missing anything essential. I didn't double check by the Lite is like 70USD.

If you are just wanting to have fun making a mix of your favorite music one afternoon, something to enjoy at a party later, its a pretty good deal. You can also get pretty creative with cutting and loop audio. You could probably do the same thing in Ableton Lite, but MixMeister is kinda like a no frills, specifically created for making mixes.

(I'd leave a link, but you'll find it if you google it :p)
(Also what I call the Lite version is called Express on their website).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Cool. Yea. I will grab a copy and let you know what I think versus Traktor. I've also used Numark CUE (ages ago, I think it is something different now). I've also used Serato.

I went and had a look at the features and I honestly see no major differences between it and Traktor (which I've used the most).

A thought on something that is rather inexpensive--there is a pretty cool program called MixMeister. It works more like a DAW and you create mixes by drawing automation curves not in real time. I had a...erm..."borrowed" copy of it a long time ago that I used just to quickly make mixes of my favorite DnB tunes for the car or I would sketch out what I wanted to do then practice making it happen live. I think I had their "Studio" version, but the "Lite" version doesn't seem to be missing anything essential. I didn't double check by the Lite is like 70USD.

If you are just wanting to have fun making a mix of your favorite music one afternoon, something to enjoy at a party later, its a pretty good deal. You can also get pretty creative with cutting and loop audio. You could probably do the same thing in Ableton Lite, but MixMeister is kinda like a no frills, specifically created for making mixes.

(I'd leave a link, but you'll find it if you google it :p)
(Also what I call the Lite version is called Express on their website).
Cheers..I'll be checking that out for sure.

Like I said, this is something I've been thinking about doing for a long while..but recently I've been trying to come up with "cost effective" ways of combining everything, so as to be able to either mix my own stuff live or just basically DJ using music by other artists.

How to do the DJ'ing part was obvious right from the start..but maybe I'm a little slow, as it took a while for the idea to dawn on me, but I can use the new NI Stem format to break down my own stuff and then mash things up live using some thing like, if not, this Mixxx program.

(..and let's not forget that it would open up a completely different way of getting a final mix of a track / project, given you can record with it, too..making an extension on to the whole studio workflow in general.)

Basically, I don't need to splash out on any other hardware..just a good laptop and my NI Stems and music files and I'm good to go..

That is, after a shitton of practice and practice...with a little bit of practice on top for good measure.

------------------
Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

Mixxx is cool. I like it a lot. I have been using it on and off for years. Everything is midi mappable. You have all the basic functions. Go ahead and try it out!

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to metalzone2000
A.M (11-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

I used to use some lite version of Traktor so I just wanted to say thanks for the heads up, I had no idea there was practically a free alternative floating around

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (11-06-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810

i dont use a controller and love mixing with it because i dont have my decks anymore and my vinyls are hating me right now stored in the closet...

mixxx is pretty rad, its free, and lets me mix while i cant really mix. yes my mixes suck on it, but thats not the point, its keeping the drop points fresh and knowing which tracks go together. who the fuck cares if you beatmatch the damn thing. oh unless you are playing for others people. in that case ive never used it, digital mixing is meh imho... you should get technics sl1200gr's yes... oh yes

Advertisements

Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
A.M (10-07-2017)