System hardware migration aka New Rig (UK Based)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836827
System hardware migration aka New Rig (UK Based)

I used to be so up to date with everything and recent years I have totally dropped the baton and need some guidance please.

I want to keep with i7 or similar.

I am hoping to simply upgrade motherboard, CPU, memory. However I know life is never that simple and hoping.

Currently

Case Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 920
Cores 4
Threads 8
Name Intel Core i7 920
Code Name Bloomfield
Package Socket 1366 LGA
Technology 45nm
Specification Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

COOLER
Xigmatek S1284

RAM
OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Gold (6x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (OCZ3G1600LV6GK)
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-18)

Motherboard

EVGA 132-BL-E758 (132-BL-E758-A1) (Socket 423) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
*I would like to stick with EVGA as trust them and used them on my last 3 rigs.

Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA) *No interntion to upgrade as for DAW work only nothing more.

Storage
111GB OCZ-VERTEX460 (SSD) *I am going to replace this with another SS850 512GB [OS]
476GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB (SSD) [NI and Omnisphere Libraries]
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) [Samples and banks]
139GB Western Digital WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR1 (SATA) [Audio recording]
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B0 (SATA) [Data]
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AVVS-63L2B0 (SATA) [Data]
596GB Western Digital WDC WD6402AAEX-00Z3A0 (SATA) [Program and Program Data]

2794GB Western Digital WD Elements 107C USB Device (SSD) [Backup 1]
2794GB Western Digital WD Elements 107C USB Device (SSD) [Backup 2]

PSU
Seasonic S12-650W

SOUNDCARD
RME Fireface 800

Firewire 400 is a must (or 800) I am guessing TI set. although I do already have 1 x PCIe slot taken up by a Firewire card which I would hope works in the new mobo.

Usage wise I am heavy on the CPU with vst synths and external.
Currently Im pretty sweet using over 30+ plugins in a project from waves, slate digital alongside 3 or 4 vst synths, after that its bounce time.

I tend to use Nebula 3/4 in separate mix down projects on stems and lucky to break over 6 or 8 instances depending on what else is running.

Im finding more recent projects I am hitting the CPU headroom limit pretty quickly.

Im not desperate to upgrade and don't want to get into silly price territory so I guess its a case of balance on what people recommend and keeping reasonably future proof.

Im fairly confused on processors at the moment. I am loyal to Intel and would never consider a AMD.

Not into the concept of water cooling. Maybe one day, but seems to much hassle and the idea of electrics and water in a studio does not sit comfortable with me so that's a no no.

Budget wise, total Id like to steer close to 600 but I know this may not be reasonable.

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910
Re: System hardware migration aka New Rig (UK Based)

I'm not super familiar with Intel beyond the basics (AMD fanboi myself ), but a quick search looks like you're going to be out around 300 usd for the cpu. I really don't know what ddr4 memory runs or how high you want to go on the motherboard. I'd assume SATA connectivity isn't going to be an issue on a newer chipset, neither is PCI with just one graphics card. I'd also bet your PSU will be enough as long as it's not too old (I just had one go out after 4 or 5 years of hard use, but the protection on everything worked, new PSU and my AMD Phenom setup is right as rain). You'll probably be able to use your current cooler, even if the socket is a little different, the company probably made an adapter you can pick up for a few bucks. Only wrinkle I foresee is getting windows onto the new machine, as when you change mobo/processor, it thinks you're a pirate or something. I've always been able to get through it without buying a new copy of windows, but that was before windows 10, so I don't know how they treat it now.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Thanks as far as the Windows10 migration goes, Im pretty much covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I'm not super familiar with Intel beyond the basics (AMD fanboi myself ), but a quick search looks like you're going to be out around 300 usd for the cpu. I really don't know what ddr4 memory runs or how high you want to go on the motherboard. I'd assume SATA connectivity isn't going to be an issue on a newer chipset, neither is PCI with just one graphics card. I'd also bet your PSU will be enough as long as it's not too old (I just had one go out after 4 or 5 years of hard use, but the protection on everything worked, new PSU and my AMD Phenom setup is right as rain). You'll probably be able to use your current cooler, even if the socket is a little different, the company probably made an adapter you can pick up for a few bucks. Only wrinkle I foresee is getting windows onto the new machine, as when you change mobo/processor, it thinks you're a pirate or something. I've always been able to get through it without buying a new copy of windows, but that was before windows 10, so I don't know how they treat it now.

------------------
Old 09-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 32710

Your PCI card will work fine. PCI is PCI, Windows has the drivers. No worries there.

Everything Intel will be Socket 1151 for awhile, so that means Skylake or Kaby Lake. Not a huge performance boost over previous iterations right now but it does have some nice features over Broadwell/Haswell. It should be a viable platform to upgrade from for the forseeable future.

Despite your past luck with EVGA motherboards, I'd suggest going with something else. Not because EVGA is poor quality, but because they're almost entirely out of the motherboard business and what they do make is specifically featured-loaded for gamers and ridiculously expensive for what you get. They don't make bare bones workhorse boards, which is exactly what you want for something like a DAW. If you stick with EVGA, expect to pay 100+ more than you would for an equivalent board from someone like ASRock or Gigabyte.

RAM is a tricky deal. 1151 maxes out at 64GB over 4 slots, so you'd need 16GB sticks which are still pricy. If you expect to expand to 64GB at some point you'll want to get 1x16 or 2x16 right now and then add. Otherwise you'd probably be good with 2 or 4x 8GB if you cool sticking with max 32GB (or replacing all the ram with 16GB sticks down the road and finding something to do with the 8s).

You're going to run into a SATA issue with modern boards. Unless you specifically get a server-grade or very expensive gaming motherboard, you're going to be limited to 6 SATA ports. Most manufacturers have started adding m.2, mSATA and SATA Express ports instead of more straight SATA. You can get a cheap HBA card to expand but actually getting the same 9-10 ports you currently have is going to be really expensive. A better solution would be to upgrade to a couple of larger drives and ditch a couple of those very small and well-used drives.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
/ [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

CPU: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(275.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(87.90 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(103.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(139.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: 606.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-09 20:49 GMT+0000

That'd be where I'd go for a basic DAW setup in your price range. Ton of processor headroom over what you have now, lots of expandability down the line, and lets you trade out a stack of old and possibly ready-to-fail drives. Along with what you already have, I think that'd be a great basis for a good while.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
MFXxx (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

depends on the ram you want if you want ddr4 then yea you can go skylake but only get around 8 gigs of ram if your willing to stick to ddr3 then yea 4570k at 4.5ghz buy more ram so you get 16 to 32 gigs in your system a decent cooler and a well rounded mobo. intel havent really done much in terms of cpu performance from the last couple of generations anyway the only major difference is on the graphics side of things for example if you want 4k netflix then get a kaby lake but in terms of performance per clock there really isnt much difference. The generational gap comes down to ram and you will not see that much of a difference in daws between ddr3 and ddr4 anyway, Also i see you have a fuck ton of harddrives
ever thought about grabbing a solid state drive they will boost performce significantly get one youll be very happy especially for your boot drive boot goes from around 5 minuteness to around 15 seconds.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
MFXxx (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Hard drive plan :
1 x SSD 850 Pro 512 for OS
1 x SSD 850 Pro 512 for Komplete, Serum and Omnisphere soundbanks
1 x WD Raptor (exisitng till dead) for audio work
1 x 2TB HD for data.

I take it my exsising SATAII and III drives will be comptible with these board?
Everything else can go to portable external drives no issue as only data storage (I do need to get rid of a couple of drives as you say, tick tock tick tock.

RAM:
I think I would be hard pushed to exceed any need to go above 16GB however, if 4 slots I can not see myself going over 32gb in the future so 2 x 8gb would seem a wise move.

Motherboard:
Just popped on EVGA website and yes you are correct, overpriced and not catering for what I need. Last 2 EVGA had firwire onboard alas no more so will use the exisitng PCI.

CPU:
Kaby could be an option. BUt as you say I would imagine the i7-6700 is not simply going to be just an upgrade in GHZ from 2.66 to 3.4, there going to be an improvement in the overall handling and flow of data. So Im guessing in real life terms when using the DAW, Im going to see more than just a numbers 2.66/3.4 (27%) increase? But I do like the look of the i7-7700K for an extra 85 notes or not?.

Im glad to hear existing components should be fine. PSU should be enough juice I hope.
Although it is coming up to its 8th anniversary but still sounds fine.

------------------
Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC

go hybrid seagate do sshd which are the capacity of a hard drive but with the speed of a ssd i use them and there awsome
Old 09-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

Yeah, SATA is SATA, mostly. You should be fine with those drives.

16GB ram is a good starting point, but remember it's an order of magnitude faster than the fastest drive and you can use extra to load samples into for even lower latency. It's actually a pretty cheap way to get great performance. Not that you should dump a ton of money into 64GB or anything, but I'd at least buy 2x8 now and give yourself room for 32 in the future.

Clock rates for cpus have been wonky ever since AMD and Intel started really competing in the late 90s. It's hard to tell what kind of performance increase you'll see without looking at specific benchmarks, preferably for the application you're using. The raw numbers are fairly poor indicators to real world performance. You're correct that there'll be utilization/instruction improvements beyond cycle speed.

The K-series cpus have unlocked multipliers that allow for easy overclocking (and also don't come with a stock cooler). The performance differences between a stock K-series and the non-K equivalent are going to be pretty small, like you're likely not going to notice it in day-to-day use under normal loads. I'm not a fan of overclocking as it leads to instability, additional wear and tear due to heat, and can in some rare cases introduce audio artifacts. Great for gaming, poor for just about everything else. If you plan on overclocking, you need a K-series CPU, a Z-series board and an aftermarket cooler.

So [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a comparison of your current cpu to the 6700 and the 7700K. The biggest difference between the 6700 and the 7700K are the base clock rates and the related max power draw. Long story short, is 85 worth a slightly faster and more responsive experience? That's your call. Either would be a big step up from your 920.

Regarding the PSU, it's fine as long as it's working. Almost all of the heavy power needs come from modern graphics cards. With onboard graphics a normal system will run just fine on a 200W PSU. Your 660 will add around 150W to that. The recommended PSU is 450W, and that's taking into account the rest of the system. You'll be fine with the 650W you have.
Thanks to Artificer
MFXxx (10-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Im glad to hear existing components should be fine. PSU should be enough juice I hope.Although it is coming up to its 8th anniversary but still sounds fine.
I think it will be, your old CPU has a TDP of 160 watts, either of the new ones are 91 watts. That's not an exact measure of how much power they draw, but the point is the new ones will draw considerably less. Just don't skimp on a motherboard. I'm not saying you need a super-OC blazit mobo, but do go with one that has a reliable power delivery system so that IF anything does happen to your PSU, your components will be protected. If you want to mess around with memory, you could check out GeIL or Crucial, they tend to be a bit cheaper (in the US, could be a different scene over there) but still do the job just fine. Never had problems with either.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
MFXxx (10-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Thanks Arti' your advice seems very coherent and solid. I believe saving the money on the CPU and using it for extra RAM is a more salient solution for DAW work. As you say, Im going to notice a vast improvement no doubt over the old 920 which I must say can really still handle and deliver a respectable load. It's morethe VTS's that hit the limit than plugins ie Diva/Reaktor/Serum and if I can speed up Omnispehere loading times I may get more use out of out.

ASUS mobos I guess are pretty good previously (prior to EVGA) I used gigabyte but I dont believe there's going to be much difference in these nowadays. After all I sense we are near the limits a lot of the technology can provide, within the everyday use, hence we are seeing more focus on memory and hard drive developments. I guess.

Overclocking - Im a factory set guy, running everything faster than it's meant to, to me, the logic is it would shorten the life of teh product. However I do guess they build tolerances in for overclocking so if boom...they dont get a warehouse full of warranty returned unts.

Hybrid drives...I have to wonder how reliable and efficient they really are and the pitfulls?

Im tinkering on the idea of getting a very basic/cheap graphics card, new PSU and case for the old rig jsut to use for other uses than daw (maybe even playaround with vase soundgrid or simliar to use it as a send/effects unit for the mixdown...but that's a much lower priority down the line.

Budget wise I need to keep things real for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Yeah, SATA is SATA, mostly. You should be fine with those drives.

16GB ram is a good starting point, but remember it's an order of magnitude faster than the fastest drive and you can use extra to load samples into for even lower latency. It's actually a pretty cheap way to get great performance. Not that you should dump a ton of money into 64GB or anything, but I'd at least buy 2x8 now and give yourself room for 32 in the future.

Clock rates for cpus have been wonky ever since AMD and Intel started really competing in the late 90s. It's hard to tell what kind of performance increase you'll see without looking at specific benchmarks, preferably for the application you're using. The raw numbers are fairly poor indicators to real world performance. You're correct that there'll be utilization/instruction improvements beyond cycle speed.

The K-series cpus have unlocked multipliers that allow for easy overclocking (and also don't come with a stock cooler). The performance differences between a stock K-series and the non-K equivalent are going to be pretty small, like you're likely not going to notice it in day-to-day use under normal loads. I'm not a fan of overclocking as it leads to instability, additional wear and tear due to heat, and can in some rare cases introduce audio artifacts. Great for gaming, poor for just about everything else. If you plan on overclocking, you need a K-series CPU, a Z-series board and an aftermarket cooler.

So [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a comparison of your current cpu to the 6700 and the 7700K. The biggest difference between the 6700 and the 7700K are the base clock rates and the related max power draw. Long story short, is 85 worth a slightly faster and more responsive experience? That's your call. Either would be a big step up from your 920.

Regarding the PSU, it's fine as long as it's working. Almost all of the heavy power needs come from modern graphics cards. With onboard graphics a normal system will run just fine on a 200W PSU. Your 660 will add around 150W to that. The recommended PSU is 450W, and that's taking into account the rest of the system. You'll be fine with the 650W you have.

Last edited by MFXxx; 09-02-2017 at 11:35 PM..

------------------
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

hybrid drives none what so ever theres no pitfalls at all they work like a normal hard drive but with extra cache like an ssd so you get more speed and there the same price as a regular hard drive
for example a seagate 2tb sshd you can pick up for 60 quid. Seriously there awesome. i do pc repair as a job and always recommend them to customers over regular hard drives because of the speed reliability and the price.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #12
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
hybrid drives none what so ever theres no pitfalls at all they work like a normal hard drive but with extra cache like an ssd so you get more speed and there the same price as a regular hard drive
for example a seagate 2tb sshd you can pick up for 60 quid. Seriously there awesome. i do pc repair as a job and always recommend them to customers over regular hard drives because of the speed reliability and the price.
Thanks Joem, will look into these for OS replacement (save some money over main SSD).
What are they like for audio read write speeds, Ive always used 10K drives but these seem to have dimished now.

------------------
Old 10-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Thanks Joem, will look into these for OS replacement (save some money over main SSD).
What are they like for audio read write speeds, Ive always used 10K drives but these seem to have dimished now.
id get a small ssd for your os say a 120 gig and a seagate sshd for your audio stuff, the read and write speeds are great around 6mb/s reads and 4mb/s rite
there built mainly for gamers who wanted faster loading times but also the mass storage so yea there great for audio work to.

Last edited by joem; 10-02-2017 at 01:17 AM..
Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #14
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

10-15k drives were and still are primarily enterprise drives, though they've mostly been replaced by SSDs for high i/o tasks like databases and VM storage. For the difference in cost and reliability SSDs make more long term sense from a CapEx standpoint and so manufacturers have really stopped producing them in numbers like they used to.

The speed of hybrid drives are built around caching common files on the SSD portion. Otherwise they're just standard spinning rust. If you're using them to consistently access the same set of files (VSTs, a set of samples), it's going to function mostly like an SSD. If you're using it for random access like watching movies or listening to/playing back music or other random access things it's going to act like a hard drive. The SSD portion also acts as write cache so you'll see slightly better latency on straight writes.

I personally never saw the attraction back in the day. I bought SSDs where I needed speed and used platters for mass storage. I never really had i/o issues with audio recording due to the hard drive anyway, at least not since the mid-90s. The price point of SSHDs weren't that attractive when they debuted, but if they're as cheap as joem says they might be a good deal. They don't really have a downside other than the possibly higher price and the fact that they only come in a max of 2TB (in the age of 10TB HDDs and 1TB SSDs, that's pretty small).
Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
10-15k drives were and still are primarily enterprise drives, though they've mostly been replaced by SSDs for high i/o tasks like databases and VM storage. For the difference in cost and reliability SSDs make more long term sense from a CapEx standpoint and so manufacturers have really stopped producing them in numbers like they used to.

The speed of hybrid drives are built around caching common files on the SSD portion. Otherwise they're just standard spinning rust. If you're using them to consistently access the same set of files (VSTs, a set of samples), it's going to function mostly like an SSD. If you're using it for random access like watching movies or listening to/playing back music or other random access things it's going to act like a hard drive. The SSD portion also acts as write cache so you'll see slightly better latency on straight writes.

I personally never saw the attraction back in the day. I bought SSDs where I needed speed and used platters for mass storage. I never really had i/o issues with audio recording due to the hard drive anyway, at least not since the mid-90s. The price point of SSHDs weren't that attractive when they debuted, but if they're as cheap as joem says they might be a good deal. They don't really have a downside other than the possibly higher price and the fact that they only come in a max of 2TB (in the age of 10TB HDDs and 1TB SSDs, that's pretty small).
er you can go higher than 2tb i have 2 4tb in my system in raid along with a raid ssd set up and a intel 750 pcie ssd for my boot drive
along with a couple 4 tb normal hard drives

yea my system is built for speed mainly also why ive overclocked the shit out of everything lol.

Last edited by joem; 10-02-2017 at 02:07 AM..
Old 10-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #16
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Huh, I didn't see them on the Seagate's shitshow of a site. I'm still not sure how I'd find it without searching for it (apparently External/Consumer -> Upgrade -> SSHD, which makes fuckall sense to me). But you're totally right - 4TB it is. I still don't see a use case for my particular setup, but it might be just what MFXxx is looking for.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #17
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Huh, I didn't see them on the Seagate's shitshow of a site. I'm still not sure how I'd find it without searching for it (apparently External/Consumer -> Upgrade -> SSHD, which makes fuckall sense to me). But you're totally right - 4TB it is. I still don't see a use case for my particular setup, but it might be just what MFXxx is looking for.
what is your currant set up
on top of my hard drives im rocking a 5960x (at 4ghz)64 gigs of ram and two 1080s

Last edited by joem; 10-02-2017 at 02:25 AM..
Thanks to joem
MFXxx (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:27 AM   #18
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

The backbone of my network is a Lenovo TS140 with a E3-1225v3 and 32GB ram, and E5-2670 x2 on a Supermicro board with 256GB RDIMMs (getting old, on track for a replacement). My desktop is an E3-1220v2 with 32GB (also old, definitely getting upgraded soon). All three are nodes in a CentOS based qemu/kvm (oVirt) network over Mellanox 10Gb fiber. My Windows/audio OS is virtualized with graphics and the Firewire card for my audio interface passed through to the VM.

Scale storage is provided by Ceph over three nodes - a C2750, a C2550 and a sad little Q6600 to provide quorum. They're all just dumped in whatever spare cases I had laying around, mostly cheap old ATX stuff which I then stuffed in a closet. The bulk of the storage is 4TB HGST 7200 rpm drives, though I've got enough ports and cases that I've thrown things as small as 500GB in there and there's plenty of room and cpu to scale up instead of out for awhile. The SoC boards means that power usage is pretty minimal. I think I'm sitting at around 30TB usable right now. All that gets incremental backup to Amazon Cloud Drive via nightly rclone scripts.

VM and recording storage is a pair of 800GB Intel SSDs in btrfs RAID 0 which is then mirrored to a z1 ZoL array for all the CoW benefits (error checking, versioning). The ZFS array is 2TB 7200rpm Toshiba drives. Since I won't be needing to upgrade from the RAID 0 array any time soon I don't have to worry about growing the ZFS pool, which is one of my major hangups about the file system. The 10GbE paired with the RAID 0 SSDs is about perfect since they both run right around 425-475MB/s. All the SSDs are currently housed in the C2750 enclosure.

There's also a lot of other stuff going on - network/VLAN segmentation with pfSense, testbeds, development networks, and the family network with PLEX for my wife and a bit of home automation.

I've been waiting for prices to settle down, but the plan is to retire my current desktop to the Ceph ranch or add it as another headless server and replace it with a E3-1230v5 on a C236 board with 64GB of ram (it'd be nice of the 16GB sticks dropped a bit more as well). As for the E5 setup, I'll likely replace it with some of the current E5s once Grantly/v4 hits the market and those go offlease. It's mostly leveraged for architecture testbed and development sandboxing, so it's not like the speed is too important. That's going to be down the road a bit. I'm also testing out Gluster as an alternative to Ceph. The two aren't really interchangeable so it'd be a major migration. Mucho testing needed before that happens.

The coolest thing about all that with regards to audio is that I can record directly to my storage via the 10GB network with no latency. No shuffling files around and the nature of Ceph means that losing data is almost impossible.
Thanks to Artificer
MFXxx (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #19
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Well I've jumped in for a SSHD hard drive for the time being. Great shout, thanks @ 93.00
Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 3.5 inch Internal SSHD Hard Drive (64 MB Cache SATA 6 GB/s up to 210 MB/s)

Im hoping that performance wise I can free up the Samsung 850pro and use that for audio. Not sure how it will perfom or may keep the libraries on the SSD and use the new drive for audio read/write.
Arriving over the next couple of days, as my OCZ SSD appears to be playing up.

Now lets start from the basics with Mobos x99 or z270?

Recommendations for memory brand appreciated.

Coolers?

------------------
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Quote:
Now lets start from the basics with Mobos x99 or z270?
X99 chipset is socket 2011, which while still powerful is pretty well a dead end as far as upgrades go. If you want to go 1151 (Skylake, Kaby Lake), you're looking at 270, 170, 150, 110 chipsets. Z-series denotes overclocking ability and are usually more expensive whereas the H series is more general use. The other differences usually have to do with things like max USB support and PCI lane availability. You can check out some differences. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. The only difference I know of between the 170 and 270 is stock support for Kaby Lake (don't have to flash the BIOS) and a few extra PCI lanes.

It's worth noting that just because a chipset supports something doesn't mean that the mobo manufacturer implemented it. It's always worth checking the specs of a specific board to make sure it'll do what you want it to. Also don't get drawn in by bigger numbers. Outside a few specific use cases, the difference in things like PCI lanes don't matter for most users, so buying the most and greatest is usually just wasting money. Lanes mostly have to do with leveraging new and very fast interface protocols like m.2 and PCI-Express drives.

If you're not planning on overclocking and you're wanting features for price, I'd look at H170 boards.

Quote:
Recommendations for memory brand appreciated.
Pretty much any of the big name manufacturers. Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, G.Skill, Mushkin, etc. As a general rule I don't buy generic but I buy the cheapest reasonably reviewed ram I can find. The difference are minimal and they're all buying their silicon from the same couple of manufacturers.

Quote:
Coolers?
If you buy a non-K series Intel cpu it'll come with a small, quiet and very efficient cooler that will work fine. If you buy a K series for overclocking, I'd suggest just getting a 212 EVO like the rest of the world, unless noise is a serious concern, then go for Noctura, maybe the U9S. I just use stock coolers these days and they work fine. Maybe pick up some aftermarket paste (Arctic Silver or whatever) to use instead of the heat pad. That's a pretty good investment.

Last edited by Artificer; 10-02-2017 at 09:25 PM..

Advertisements

Thanks to Artificer
MFXxx (10-02-2017)