Convolution Plugins
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 20-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
babybrown
Minor Glitch
babybrown has a spectacular aura aboutbabybrown has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Convolution Plugins

Anybody use convolution based plugins like CD Soundmaster or Nebula?

Do you feel there is an advantage over algorithmic plugs?

Also have you found there to be any disadvantages?

Advertisements

babybrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Convolution Plugins

I use SIR2. It's good to have real places at a click of a button. It's also fun for experimentation and sound design (loading your own samples as impulses).

Also, Diego Stocco ftw!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Poztman
Minor Glitch
Poztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the rough
Bruges
MC Status: 310

i think the Convolution Reverb Pro from Max for (Ableton) Live is awesome.
Convolution sounds really awesome and there is more diversity than a normal reverb.
You can get some whacky sounding stuff if you use random samples as impulses that aren't mean to be used as impulses.
Poztman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
babybrown
Minor Glitch
babybrown has a spectacular aura aboutbabybrown has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poztman View Post
i think the Convolution Reverb Pro from Max for (Ableton) Live is awesome.
Convolution sounds really awesome and there is more diversity than a normal reverb.
You can get some whacky sounding stuff if you use random samples as impulses that aren't mean to be used as impulses.
Haven't really tried the Max job. TBH I was referring to convolution based EQ, compressors preamps and such. Like Acustica-Audio's Blue or Trinity
babybrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Dartz
Dartz is currently spamming hard
Leipzig, Germany
MC Status: 11

Reverberate LE is a very nice free convolution plugin. It's actually a light version of a commercial plugin but it's very capable and quite complete. You can adjust the reverb time settings, stretch etc.. and it also comes with a 5 band parametric equalizer which does the job well.

highly recommended if you're looking for free stuff. I used to work with the free version of SIRII but it has a huge delay (that's mostly where they put the limitation), making it unusable if you want to record some stuff live.

------------------
Dartz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I like convolution reverb pro and Izotope Trash for reverb, and for loading cabinet responses, nadIR and Amplifikation One. I've never really encountered any disadvantages, considering there are so many sites offering impulse responses for free.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
volterock
Microknight
volterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MC
CA, USA
MC Status: 147079

I second Evelon's suggestion for IR2. It's great! FL also has a built in convolution reverb called "convolver." I think convolution reverbs have an advantage if you want to make sounds "match." For instance, if you have a bunch of orchestral sounds and you have the impulse response of the rooms that they were recorded in, you can put that on anything else in your mix. As far as overall advantages compared to other reverbs, it really depends on each project and the type of sound you're going for and what sounds good to you.

------------------
Let me blog you: http://volterock.com

Newest release:
volterock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:14 AM   #8
electrostati
Minor Glitch
electrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to beholdelectrostati is a splendid one to behold
London
MC Status: 933

Not sure if this thread is still active but I've started using Acustica Nebula and Acqua plugs a while ago. Nebula technology has since become a bit of an obsession of mine and left quite a dent in my pocket,.
It can achieve sonic gold that in my experience is very unique and different to algo plugs. I'd go as far as saying better, but it depends on the situation really. E.g I also use Uhe Satin, which is awesome, yet the Nebula CD soundmaster tapes or even the stock library tapes, often achieve better, if more subtle, results.
There are console emulations available, from Neve to SSL to Toft, which recreate the dynamics, panorama and harmonic distortion of top notch desks.
For sound design generally I use algo plugs and for more subtle acoustic tasks I tend to use nebula nowadays.
Disadvantages are CPU intensity, though with my new studio pc, 6 months old I've not had too many issues, most of the compressor emulations are good only for colouring/subtle compression (thou the new acqua comps are great), and it can be quite addicitve to mix ITB with the sound of a manley passive eq and Neve console....
I could go on for pages, but I suggest trying the free acqua plugs from the nebula website and the free version of nebula.

electrostati is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

In the past I was lucky enough to find a collection of really wierd-sounding IR's and it really helped me to get some pro effect sounds in my tunes. But this year I've had a hard time finding any IR's that aren't just the typical halls and rooms.

Since I hardly ever use reverb, I end up hardly using convolution. But it kind of ticks me off because it's clearly a sophisticated technology that is so inexpensive to implement with freewares.

I have a good collection of IR's for reverb, and I edited the WAV's to make them sound even better, but until I find some good experimental ones, I probably won't use any of them.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

With that in mind, maybe we should start an IR thread on here, where members can post links to good IRs they come across..just an idea.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #11
grinzler
Minor Glitch
grinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

there is a convolution processor in the Reaktor user library called Viva la Convolution. high cpu but its pretty cool to have that in there.
grinzler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115860
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,354 Posts

Just want to mention LiquidSonics Reverberate 2. Live 9 users are lucky having M4L Convolution Reverb Pro that's obviously not only can be used for reverb purposes. Reverberate 2 has similar and more parameters to choose from: that includes more in-built LFOs that can be assigned for different effect. However, if you have M4L Convolution Reverb Pro, you also get this MIDI LFO device (both comes with M4L Essentials pack) that you just can add it to your rack, as many as you want (obviously CPU gets a hard hit). Then also assign these LFOs to any parameter, except for those which shape IRs before the whole convolution process.

Also, NI Reflektor (expansion for Guitar Rig 5) comes to my mind, but I don't recommend it because it lacks of control comparing with other similar plugins, most of them offers way more: from IR pre-EQ / editing, multiple LFO automation and IR loading. No chance in Reflektor, unless you edit IR before using it with other tools. But that doesn't stopping you putting in any other effect after it that is in GR5. It sounds really good and if you like things more simpler it's a choice, also more CPU friendly, because not much of happening here. Reflektor is also good for cabinet emulation, alternatively - NadIR, which is free.

Last edited by ms_; 10-02-2016 at 09:59 AM..

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (10-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 04:37 AM   #13
Audilepsy
Minor Glitch
Audilepsy will become famous soon enough
Michigan
MC Status: 60

The convolution reverb in Cubase is one of the great Convolutions I've used, and it can do surround sound.

Another one I really like is 2c-Aether.
Audilepsy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: FF7
Old 17-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #14
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 60

I use the convolution verb from Max for live and I find it to be quite fun to go record my own impulse responses and import them in. In general, I find convolution to be better when going for a very realistic, clean sounding reverb although that is not always the case. There are also many ways these plugins can be used for crazy sound design. Start with any of the "experimental" spaces in the Max for live plugin.
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I agree that convolution can be used for some nice sound effects.
Some of the best sound effects I have ever heard were generated by some freeware impulse responses that I can no longer find on the web anymore. I think they were from some really old Classic MacOS program. And I don't use a Mac.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote