Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 22-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
aronahlam
Granular Poster
aronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud of
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 1110
Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!

I'm thinking of the wobbles sounds used by Quanta, Akasha, Land Switcher, Tipper, Sun in Aquarius, Mumukshu, Kalya Scintilla (Search these artists on soundcloud to hear what i'm talking about).

They're just these 3dimensional noises that seem to just reach out of the speakers and take physical form of some sort. they feel hefty, like they have a weight behind them; the opposite of flat. like plastic ripping, water boiling, reptillian creatures clicking their tongues, what the flying fuccckkk

Lately I've been using Ableton's Analog, throwing on a saw wave, and using high res bandpass filter w/ an LFO. Then automating like crazy ^__^ quick pitch bends help trip it up even more

Who loves 'em? Who loves to make 'em? What are your favorite tricks and synths/software to use to get tripped out?

Advertisements

aronahlam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aronahlam
Daggit (02-10-2017)
Old 22-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!

Saws with 4+ square LFO's modulating pitch & many more on multiple (parallel) filters tends to get me there. Resampling that with some more pitch bending / shifting and lots of transient attack designing really makes something like that 'jump-out' for me.

Also, just pinching a snare or hi-hat with some granular sampler like The Mangle tends to make for some cool, unpredictable kinds of that.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Daggit (02-10-2017)
Old 23-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Fly By Night
Minor Glitch
Fly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the rough
New Brunswick, NJ
MC Status: 310

I too love that watery sound you are describing! One way I found you can get that sort of effect is by some light use of the vocoder. I noticed that messing with the processing filter and the formants you can get some nice "watery" sounds. It might be beneficial to make a completely wet and dry chain so you can jack up the volume and add other effects (reverb) if needed.
Fly By Night is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

I think it is an LFO on the pitch and in the opposite direction on the filter with some Q. So when the tone goes down the filter goes up and visa versa.
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
Daggit (02-10-2017)
Old 23-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Inward talking is always cool for an organic approach
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts

Pretty much filter automation...cutoff and resonance...I can't listen at the moment, but I'm guessing this is the case since you say wobbles. Personally, I like to record a long C note (or the root of the key I am writing in) and manually manipulate the cutoff and res, you'll get some trippy moments you wouldn't with simple automation. You could also try stacking several filters with unsynced noise shaped LFO's routed to different settings. I favor notch and lowpass filters personally.

Also, don't discount sending these sounds to short delays on sends. You can get some trippy stuff that way. Also, compression may be important since dynamics can vary wildly when messing around with this kinda stuff. Finally, a nice reverb on a send will really set these kinds of sounds in a mix space, but make sure you somehow cut out the low end of the reverb, probably a good idea on the delay too.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

One simple rubbery patch you can make is simply a saw wave, with pitch automation going downwards the same time a bandpass automation goes upwards. Resonance/Reverb/Chorus/Flanger/Distortion to taste and enjoy.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Yeah, like Blingley said you can get very far with saw wave, pitch LFO and modulated bandpass sweep with high resonance. Add some saturation, chorus, delay, reverb, etc.
edit: You can get more interesting results if you parallel filter the signal, or layer with additional interesting sounds/FX/noises. You can also add another bandpass cutoff with different LFO than the first bandpass cutoff (like noiseLFO for example), to make it more "vocal".

Last edited by Evelon; 25-07-2014 at 02:04 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571101

hey i also love these kind of sounds and am very curious about making similar and reverse engineering

A thing i've noticed is that automation of delay time corresponding to track's tempo, key, etc would get me to a similar zone. delaying a filtered percussive sequence for instance. using found sound click's, blips crack zaps, farts etc, then resampling, putting into a sampler, pitch env automation and running through delay bus.

hey, Evelon, i pm'd you some time ago (another sound design question), but is it possible you haven't got it

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

These things are fun to make. I just bought a screen capture software, which I still haven't figured out all the ins and out of, but I made a quick tutorial on the bandpass thingy (for those who don't really know how to make these kinda sounds). The video was supposed to be a bit longer (where I stack the saw, detune them and spread them out) but the video and audio died on me, so it only became 2 minutes long:

Sorry about the bassy and hard-panned voice.

Last edited by Evelon; 25-07-2014 at 02:15 PM..

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
liquid_air (08-12-2015)
Old 25-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugware View Post
hey, Evelon, i pm'd you some time ago (another sound design question), but is it possible you haven't got it
I opened your PM, but forgot to answer it. The beers and the pool outside caught my attention.
Will answer you shortly, if I know the answer.

------------------
Old 25-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I opened your PM, but forgot to answer it. The beers and the pool outside caught my attention.
Will answer you shortly, if I know the answer.

Thank you for help!

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to slugware
Evelon (25-07-2014)
Old 25-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugware View Post
Thank you for help!
You are welcome!

------------------
Old 15-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
magicmushroom
Microknight
magicmushroom has a spectacular aura aboutmagicmushroom has a spectacular aura aboutmagicmushroom has a spectacular aura about
Las Vegas
MC Status: 210

Anyone have any more information on this? Some of these sounds are incredibly intricate. I haven't quite figured out a lot of them.

I use Operator, saw wave, and auto-filter. Just mess around with automating that. Pitch bends work really well too.

That's what I did here

------------------
magicmushroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

you can do thease really easilly in albino ill post a video if you like
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #16
magicmushroom
Microknight
magicmushroom has a spectacular aura aboutmagicmushroom has a spectacular aura aboutmagicmushroom has a spectacular aura about
Las Vegas

That would be great!^

------------------
Old 16-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
Bell's Worth
Minor Glitch
Bell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Tipper gets a lot of his "twisty" sounds through filtering basic waves...personally, square waves + notch / peak EQ + tons of EQ modulation.

EQmodulationEQmodulationEQmodulationEQmodulationEQmodulation

Just stack tons of eqs on top of each other, compressors between each one if you want to keep the level static. Peaks in the upper range specifically get the sound wet if you move them around really quickly
Bell's Worth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #18
aronahlam
Granular Poster
aronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud of
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmushroom View Post
Anyone have any more information on this? Some of these sounds are incredibly intricate. I haven't quite figured out a lot of them.

I use Operator, saw wave, and auto-filter. Just mess around with automating that. Pitch bends work really well too.

That's what I did here
Took a while for me to revisit this thread but oh damn this is DOPE! \o/
aronahlam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aronahlam
Nystagmus (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

For all you ableton users how to you go about pitch bending?

Do you bend within the synth used? And/or later with whatever you resample with?
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #20
magicmushroom
Microknight
Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
For all you ableton users how to you go about pitch bending?

Do you bend within the synth used? And/or later with whatever you resample with?
I do it within the synth. It allows me to modulate the sound even further if I want to.

Advertisements

------------------