The Ulitimate Community Project pt.2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Closed Thread
Old 23-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Benwaa
The Ulitimate Community Project pt.2

IDMf is widely hailed for it's community vibe and ways. One thing we'd like to try do is make it more of a community place, and to do that we need to all be involved to a certain degree. With that in mind, over the next god knows how long, we'd like us all to discuss what the rules should be of the forum, how do you feel about how they are now, what sections should have what in them and who should have access to what/what privileges etc.

obviously that's one massive mammoth of a task that could easily end up going nowhere fast in in circles yesterday.. so please keep it serious and stay on topic, you want to troll or joke make a post in the off topic thread

Also, we're going to do this in stages to keep it simple, and focus on one thing at a time.

So... Next up a very simple one...

Next section we're going to tackle is the genre sections (oh god) so have a think and discussion on those perhaps?
please don't think we're going to change those sections names or add more btw because we never get anywhere with that at all, my thoughts are to remove the releases sections from each one and just have a board wide releases section for that as they're rather dead individually

thoughts? any other suggestions for these areas (other than genres themselves)?

discuss below!

Advertisements

Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744030191
Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,509 Posts
Re: The Ulitimate Community Project pt.2

Would the new releases section be part of the hype section?

Or should we perhaps consider just letting people post new releases straight into the genre sections instead of inside a specific releases section?

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
please don't think we're going to change those sections names or add more btw because we never get anywhere with that at all, my thoughts are to remove the releases sections from each one and just have a board wide releases section for that as they're rather dead individually

thoughts? any other suggestions for these areas (other than genres themselves)?

discuss below!
Are you totally against ppl making any kind of suggestion for the sections? Wasn't too sure. Because I'm happy to do that dance again .

My feel for genre sections is:

1.) Yep - kill off releases subsection - they're completely dead. There's so few that ppl can post that content in the main genre section.
2.) Those label reps can keep all their release posts to one thread. It gets a bit tiresome keeping track of these ppl who's a spammer who's not. If they have one thread in the genre section they can spam it as much as they want imo. The people who are actually interested in following them can subscribe to their thread.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Would the new releases section be part of the hype section?
Nah I think leave them separate like they are now. Members discussing an artist is what the genre sections are for imo.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to scyn
Muse-ic (23-06-2014)
Old 23-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Benwaa

look aat the genre sectons
there's two subsections in each - one for artist (to talk about artists) and another for releases.
I'd rather see a single forum wide all genre encompassing releases section regardless of style, (leave the idmf members releases as is though)

And no @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, i'm not suggesting sticking them in the hype section (or maybe, i dunno, that could work i guess as a subsection in there )

and er. ... yeah i am totally against renaming the genres, but if you really want to go down that road then please do
  Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
look aat the genre sectons
there's two subsections in each - one for artist (to talk about artists) and another for releases.
I know (if that was @me). But there's so few actual release posts that I didn't think it warranted it's own section and could just go in the relevant genre section.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

This topic should be easy. One release thread, imo, would get more traffic. To me it's simple, keep the music for genre section and just have one release thread for all of them. I would keep the hype section solely for outside members projects.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

i agree with the releases section thing. they are dead and can easily go straight into the genre main section. i also think the artist section is pointless too, they are also pretty dead.

the content of both those sub sections are also relevant to the person who is posting them. i might think someone is awesome and post their latest track up or a thread about them, but chances are that most other people in that genre section will not feel the same way, so it doesnt really matter too much if the thread gets buried with old age (it matters even less when posting releases).
this is because the genre sections are too broad. im not saying add more because they are fine, but if the sections must have sub forums then they should be sub genres (but if you do that the sub genres will go on forever).

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
I didn't think it warranted it's own section and could just go in the relevant genre section.
i agree with this

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

The only genre release thread I look at in those sections is the 201X IDM Release thread. Its friggin great. I think its betterto dump all releases in one thread per genre in this way. If I want to peep some new music in that style I just click the thread / scan the current page / have a listen. I find so many new artists I've never heard of before in this way because I'm forced to look at them all when scanning the thread.

That would be my vote for how to approach releases as categorized by genre.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
This topic should be easy. One release thread, imo, would get more traffic. To me it's simple, keep the music for genre section and just have one release thread for all of them. I would keep the hype section solely for outside members projects.
Yeah I don't feel the hype section should get dragged into this. Those label reps should post in the Releases section (if we create one) and keep their shit to one thread. I think we'd be doing the members who follow that kind of thing a disservice by asking that those reps pay to post here (in the hype section). And making them post in the hype section would totally just spread too much content all over the place.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Very good point from RJF there.
4000 views already this year for the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
thread, 11k for [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 23-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107450
Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,382 Posts

In the genre artist subsections there is maybe 1 post on the last 30 days. It's pretty safe to remove those. As far as having a release subsection for each genre vs. having one massive release section vs. doing away with the release section completely -- I think I'd just get rid of them and let the genre sections soak them up. There aren't so many that it would get spammy I think.

The 30 post count before allowing links seems to help quite a bit, though I guess they can still drop off a youtube or soundcloud code and ditch out.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
lolirl
Administrator

I think if we have all the releases together in one section it'll very quickly become the [insert current popular genre here] section and a lot of good stuff will just get buried and tbh in that scenario I'd just keep the existing IDM threads open as they are since it seems kind of silly to destroy something that clearly works.

------------------
Old 23-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107450
Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,382 Posts

Less is more - think how hard a time people have following the correct posting rules as it is.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390629

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Are you totally against ppl making any kind of suggestion for the sections? Wasn't too sure. Because I'm happy to do that dance again .

My feel for genre sections is:

1.) Yep - kill off releases subsection - they're completely dead. There's so few that ppl can post that content in the main genre section.
2.) Those label reps can keep all their release posts to one thread. It gets a bit tiresome keeping track of these ppl who's a spammer who's not. If they have one thread in the genre section they can spam it as much as they want imo. The people who are actually interested in following them can subscribe to their thread.
something i notice is spammers dont care about detail- if there's even ONE thread of free roam- they will Endlessly post over and over and over- i think if we have one glittery pokadot rainbow thread where there are absolutely no rules or limits, but its encouraged to share your tracks for serious feedback and ideas and thoughts- u just let the horde rear their ugly tracks into the pit of despair until their fingers fall off... thoughts i suppose...

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The only genre release thread I look at in those sections is the 201X IDM Release thread. Its friggin great. I think its betterto dump all releases in one thread per genre in this way. If I want to peep some new music in that style I just click the thread / scan the current page / have a listen. I find so many new artists I've never heard of before in this way because I'm forced to look at them all when scanning the thread.

That would be my vote for how to approach releases as categorized by genre.
Thinking about this a bit more RFJ, those threads aren't in the releases section anyway so they're safe imo.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (23-06-2014)
Old 23-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post
something i notice is spammers dont care about detail- if there's even ONE thread of free roam- they will Endlessly post over and over and over- i think if we have one glittery pokadot rainbow thread where there are absolutely no rules or limits, but its encouraged to share your tracks for serious feedback and ideas and thoughts- u just let the horde rear their ugly tracks into the pit of despair until their fingers fall off... thoughts i suppose...
The simple answer to that is just to report stuff like that that you see and we'll remove it.
I've got to say I honestly think we do an ok job of keeping the place pretty spam free though.

------------------
Old 23-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993430
Thanked 4,064 Times in 2,636 Posts

I totally agree that Releases sub-forums could be deleted. There's so few interest in them that we've started a "201X IDM Releases" thread when there's supposed to be a whole subforum for that. I am going down the same road as RFJ about the thread format, too. I think it's way better to have the releases organised this way.

I don't think there's a need for more sub-forums either since people start sub-genre specific threads that work pretty well and people can bump the thread if they have discovered something new that fits the mood.
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 23-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269463358
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,854 Posts

I'd be also up for killing the Industrial subforum...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread