The One Day Challenge - Create a track from start to finish in one day
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik
MC Status: 1662
The One Day Challenge - Create a track from start to finish in one day

The One Day Challenge - Create a track from start to finish in one day.

This Saturday I plan to do what I call "The one day challenge". I thought it would be a cool idea to post this thread in that it might inspire others to do so too.

This is not an official competition, there will be no judges, no prizes.

What is the purpose of this challenge? Being time constrained helps you practice being concise and not waste time, quickly tossing away things that don't work, stops the endless tweaking and stops you from zoning in to surrealistic sound design on sounds that have little chance of actually being of used. This challenge helps you see where you stand and which areas of production you are least confident in and need improvement. A lot of people have the problem of starting a project and never finishing it leaving a trail of unfinished tracks so this might help you train the skill of finishing a track.

Rules: The only rule is to make the track from start to finish, including mixing, in one day. If you have any other uncertainties just judge for yourself and make your own decision on what this challenge means to you. There is no genre limit,you can make anything from IDM and ambience to brostep and pop music, even xNOISEx can post his 5 mins of white noise if that's what he chooses to do xD.

There are no other time constraints, you don't have to wait until Saturday (the day I chose for my challenge) to do this and there is no deadline either.

Please note that the purpose of this thread is not for you to receive validation or recognition for your "cool swagger tracks" and not a place to increase your soundcloud fanbase either. This is first and foremost to train your own skills and second to see the interesting things people make in this time constrain.

Personally I plan to give the track I make in this challenge away for free (unless it sucks ass xD ) to help relieve the stress of "I must make this track good enough to make it to my new EP" and other seriousness. I also plan to do more of these challenges in the future but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I think I covered it all, so without further ado; let the games begin.

Advertisements

------------------
leftfoot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to leftfoot
lolirl (06-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: The One Day Challenge - Create a track from start to finish in one day

Most of my tracks. Well I had no choice when my DAW was getting wiped off the HD daily, so I kind of eased into that workflow.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
dhemicu3
Analog Lurker
dhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond repute
Toronto
MC Status: 4350

I've kinda hit a block since my last track. Gonna try this on Saturday as well. Why not?
dhemicu3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943181
Thanked 5,700 Times in 3,591 Posts

Really not all that difficult. I cant say any of mine were sure fire keepers but it's something I already do on occasion.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik

Yeah I'm not saying these have to be masterpieces, in fact I expect mine to be at first ambitious but then because of the time constraint I won't have time to articulate it endlessly so by the end of the day the approach will probably have to be in a minimalistic style and just work with what I got.

------------------
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
MKhazzam
Granular Poster
MKhazzam is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I remember Madeon live tweeting himself doing this a couple months ago, except he did 2 tracks in one day. Seems like a cool idea, looking forward to hearing your track
MKhazzam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
Reykjavik

Here it is. I am really happy with the results although my body disagrees from all the stress xD

I really had no idea what I was going to make when I opened my DAW. I just opened Massive and started making a patch, made a melody, got stuck, made additional melodies and scrapped the old ones and worked from there. I'm not really that up to going really indepth right no because when I produce my body get's all tense sort of like when you are on speed and your body cries for "more" so after a whole day of that I'm really beat. The most obvious thing I learned was: Fabfilter Pro plugins devour your CPU. If you have any questions fire away. Peace.

------------------
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
dhemicu3
Analog Lurker
dhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond reputedhemicu3 has a reputation beyond repute
Toronto
MC Status: 4350

Man I was legit gonna do this but a bunch of stuff came up and bombed up my weekend. I'll give it a shot next weekend. Should be a quieter one.

That's a really cool track leftfoot!
dhemicu3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dhemicu3
leftfoot (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
Reykjavik

Thanks. It really surprised me afterwards what this track turned out to become, it's not what I usually make or listen to xD but I couldn't be happier with the results. I am especially happy with the mixing, probably the best mix job I have done yet.

I think I will take another go at this challenge the weekend two weeks from now but who knows maybe I will do it earlier. Hope to see some tracks by others in the meantime.

------------------
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 10960

the one in my sig was composed in a day, i just redid the mix several times over a few more days. but i guess you could consider it a one day track, the only thing i changed in the mix was the bass, as i listened on headphones and found the bass too much, so i adjusted it a few times. but other than that it was all in one day.

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
enp4ssant
Granular Poster
enp4ssant will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post

Here it is. I am really happy with the results although my body disagrees from all the stress xD

I really had no idea what I was going to make when I opened my DAW. I just opened Massive and started making a patch, made a melody, got stuck, made additional melodies and scrapped the old ones and worked from there. I'm not really that up to going really indepth right no because when I produce my body get's all tense sort of like when you are on speed and your body cries for "more" so after a whole day of that I'm really beat. The most obvious thing I learned was: Fabfilter Pro plugins devour your CPU. If you have any questions fire away. Peace.
At first I thought it was going to sound crap, but after a while it started to be really enjoyable. I'll be following the rest of your music for sure.
enp4ssant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to enp4ssant
leftfoot (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
fuzzwuzz
Granular Poster
fuzzwuzz will become famous soon enoughfuzzwuzz will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

lol, a lot of my songs from when i first started would take about 2-3 hours, sometimes 1-2 depending on the genre. they sounded (usually) fairly bad, but then again it was when i first started.
fuzzwuzz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Coolio, I AM TOTALLY GONNA DO THIS

...On Wednesday.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
lolirl (29-12-2013)
Old 29-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
cpt.credible
Minor Glitch
cpt.credible will become famous soon enoughcpt.credible will become famous soon enough
Oslo
MC Status: 110

There is an old compilation on peppermill records called 30 days, (i would link but i'm not allowed to post links yet) where 30 artists/bands where given one day each on wich to make and submit a track, the results where suprisingly good. perhaps thats not a stupid idea to try here to ?
cpt.credible is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cpt.credible
lolirl (29-12-2013)
Old 29-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744030191
Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt.credible View Post
There is an old compilation on peppermill records called 30 days, (i would link but i'm not allowed to post links yet) where 30 artists/bands where given one day each on wich to make and submit a track, the results where suprisingly good. perhaps thats not a stupid idea to try here to ?

No, not stupid at all. I'm all about projects that help get people's creative juices flowing.
I'd like to see some evidence that members here are at least interested if not entirely capable of turning in a masterpiece before we commit to anything though.
The other issue with those projects is that some people begin to feel it's a test of some kind, others will cheat and go over their allocated 24 hours and stuff like that.
Let's leave this thread a little longer and see if it picks up a bit.

But yeah we could try something like that.
I quite liked the idea of doing a single in a day, an EP in a week and an album in a month.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #16
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I compose albums in an eventing. The hard part is saving up for the one perfect day, it can take months.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744030191
Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,509 Posts

Why don't you just make a compilation of the best bits at the weekend instead?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

^ I've been doing that a bit too, turns out they all suck

My submission is in my sig. Turned out a little quieter than I had wanted, but I blame soundcloud.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

So, its technically not one day cause we went back the next day and mastered it and touched up a couple small things like panning and timing. but less than a day of work thats for sure...

Last edited by taylorfrank; 30-12-2013 at 09:43 PM..

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I quite liked the idea of doing a single in a day, an EP in a week and an album in a month.
I second this notion and its not out of the realm of possible with proper time management. I hope this thread sticks around for a while. (I am fairly confident that it will.)

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote