Perfectionism - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #21
AetherSound
Granular Poster
AetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really nice
boulder, colorado
MC Status: 360
Re: Perfectionism

I like to record long drawn out guitar and piano pieces that really have a flow to them, similar to a jam band, and I find if comping it really changes the dynamic, as no two pieces at exactly alike

Advertisements

AetherSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
AetherSound
Granular Poster
AetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really nice
boulder, colorado

I guess I was wondering if you guys have any rules about this or not, like "3 takes and move on" or something that you hold to? as to preserve workflow, cuz I get really hung up on it I find
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
AetherSound
Granular Poster
boulder, colorado

maybe perfecting my craft at the individual instruments would ultimately be the most ideal way
Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #24
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910

For recording, it entirely depends on the style.
If I'm recording guitar and doing my good-ol punk rock stuff, then the need for repeating is really, really low.

However, if I'm playing with the idea of mixing it in with daw generated compositions....I've at times spent a whole weekend just working on one cut that will work.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #25
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

I've given up on semi-perfectionism last year. I just throw down whatever sounds good and maybe mix something during a single evening. If stuff sounds fine on my ADAM's and also on some of my cheap headphones for on-the-go listening then I'll just declare it done and move on. I've got too may on-going projects to hang around on a single one for too long.

Funnily enough my quality-of-work has risen since

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LichLord
Treyt0r (18-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #26
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LichLord View Post
I've given up on semi-perfectionism last year. I just throw down whatever sounds good and maybe mix something during a single evening. If stuff sounds fine on my ADAM's and also on some of my cheap headphones for on-the-go listening then I'll just declare it done and move on. I've got too may on-going projects to hang around on a single one for too long.

Funnily enough my quality-of-work has risen since

there is a lot to be said for finishing tunes as well....

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #27
sl9dge
Regular Freak
sl9dge will become famous soon enoughsl9dge will become famous soon enough
Paris
MC Status: 110

That's a very good question actually
I personally should be more perfectionnist cause I use to just throw my projects on soundcloud too soon (I always edit them further and reupload the file later, which feels bad cause I don't reupload a new track but change the file of existing tracks, so every plays and likes aren't quite for the current version but for the previous ones)
Not that really matters right now anyway, I have only 200 followers lol
sl9dge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/user736639792/02-q-project-solar-system-6-30
Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #28
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5760

Is this need for perfectionism coming from yourself, as in you just don't think its as good as it can be, OR are your worried about the listener finding imperfections?

If the former, you're going to chase that forever because as the creator you know where the flaws are and will always think it could have been better.

If the latter, you need to realize that the average listener isn't listening for where you fucked up, they're listening in hope of finding something they like, or are just trying to get a general feel of "this is cool" or "this sucks". There's not much you can do about listener's perceptions but they aren't analyzing your work for mistakes. Unless they're assholes.....and asshole's opinions don't count anyway.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
relic (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #29
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
there is a lot to be said for finishing tunes as well....
I usually divide projects up on how successful the evenings been. if it sounds good, it's added to the list for me to revisit or later turn into a full track. Other not-so-great projects are either exported for future sampling or put in an archive folder. I'd love to spend more time on the music side of things and get some more content released but I'm still juggling quite a few things along with an increasingly longer work schedule to boot. Hopefully everything should get better time-wise in a few months

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #30
Treyt0r
Analog Lurker
Treyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to behold
Sydney
MC Status: 710

Yeah I have this problem and I hate it. I can come up with a vibe and a mix I really like, spend too long making a pattern that sounds good to me, and then find out I can't make an intro I'm happy with, I start blanking on transitions, and I either get lazy and start making musical diarrhea or frustrate myself and get little to nothing done.

help
Treyt0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Treyt0r
Hygro (23-01-2017)
Old 18-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #31
Matech
Granular Poster
Matech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Perfection is only a concept we can strive towards. Ultimately I want to feel good when listening to something that I have invested my time, energy and health into, so if this is achieved then mission is accomplished. At times I get tired of a project, and released it, just to move on to something else, being conscious that a lot could have been done to improve it.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
never too much, if a song doesn't sound right, delete what doesn't sound right or just keep it, add more then label it as experimental...
Matech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote