Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #21
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts
Re: Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?

I do a lot of multi-tracking and printing of VST's to audio.

i cant afford the HD space sometimes, my personal Macbook is also my work computer, I'm hosting something like 50 gigs of Client audio as well (its backed up in several places, no worries there)... so shit that doesn't make the cut gets cut.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #22
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20760
Re: Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?

I get stuck on most of my tracks, go to sleep, wake up, realize the track is horrible, add some random shit, release it, realize it's horrible, delete it.
I have made multiple different accounts on bandcamp and soundcloud, on my old soundcloud account I posted at least like 9 albums and then took them all down, my new soundcloud is trash, and my bandcamp is filled with things I enjoyed making, not that they are good songs but I enjoyed making them nontheless

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #23
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
I get stuck all the time, and I have loads of unfinished tracks waiting for me to come back to them. Sometimes I do, other times I just steal pieces of them for other tracks instead
basically, also, the new profile picture is really something benwaa...

------------------

Old 04-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Ugh, getting stuck on songs is the bane of my existence. I have tons of songs that I think sound awesome but I just can never finish. Nothing ever sounds right so I scrap it and start on something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
So different for everyone.
I'm convinced that finishing a track is a skill all to itself. I think that the main component of it is not takin yourself so seriously and thinking that you can't move on to the next 8 bars or whatever until this 8 bars is UHMAZING. If I want to finish a track, I sketch out the big picture ASAP, then take as long as I want massaging the different sections.
This is pretty great advice, though. I did this with a few of my newer music and it turned out pretty great. Especially the "Not taking yourself so seriously" part hahaha
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

I have so many songs in the can it horrifies me. My advice is try and finish something from every era of your creativity. We all have streaks of a certain thing. Finish one of them. Five years from now, you'll be happy you did.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #26
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
So different for everyone.

I have 427,963 unfinished tracks.

However, I learned how to finish tracks, so now I can finish anything that's seems worth the effort

I'm convinced that finishing a track is a skill all to itself. I think that the main component of it is not takin yourself so seriously and thinking that you can't move on to the next 8 bars or whatever until this 8 bars is UHMAZING. If I want to finish a track, I sketch out the big picture ASAP, then take as long as I want massaging the different sections.

Think about writing a story. You wouldn't be like "I have to get these first three sentences perfect before I move on." No you'd probably have an outline in your head or on paper and go ahead and get a draft out and then go back and polish it later. Hopefully we are trying to tell stories with our tracks, so the same process would be applicable.
I like this advice and haven't really thought about it from that angle before. I've always had a "make it up as you go" kinda approach. Thinking about it like writing a book or essay actually makes a whole lot of sense. I will definitely consider creating some kind of outline the next time I start a track.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
You should know by now, reading the replies from the guys here, that this has nothing to do with being new to music production..or even your personal levels of creative skill..it's just one of those pain-in-the-ass things all of us have to deal with..just like writers have to deal with writer's block..we have to deal with "staller" tracks..the ones that start out just fine, but then just seem to stop..not die or dry up..just stop..like the muse has fucked off some place else and left you high-and-dry starting at you DAW on screen.

I used to get caught up in this and worry it was a sign I was a crap producer or something..but I now understand it's just part of being a producer..something you need to adapt to in order to benefit from.

I suggest you keep all these tracks and come back to them from time to time and for various reasons. Obviously you can try and inject new life into any of them at any time, with the hope you will finish the track..but you can also use them to help you grow your production skills even more, using them as "test files" to work on, while going more in-depth into EQ, Compression, Reverb and everything else in between.

The reason for this is you already have something that is relatively solid and complex enough to give you an idea of how different settings are going to effect your "sound".

You can use them to come up with completely new tracks, by morphing / mixing various tracks together..or you can go back to basics and try messing with arrangements..sometimes all it takes is a new arrangement to kick a track back to life and move it on to the finished phase.

In short, don't dump them..never dump anything..rework them..use them to learn..or understand the fact they bother you is an indication you are growing as a producer, which is a good thing. It's a phase that passes, but one which comes around again.
This is some great advice as well. I never delete any of my ideas even if I find them to be absolute crap. I guess the good side of having so many unfinished tracks is that you can always combine some of them where you least expect them too.

Other than that, when you get stuck do you find listening to other music help or hinder that process?

Last edited by Kyrpto; 07-05-2016 at 03:03 AM..
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kyrpto
MikeyOSB (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #27
MikeyOSB
Sample Destroyer
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
I like this advice and haven't really thought about it from that angle before. I've always had a "make it up as you go" kinda approach. Thinking about it like writing a book or essay actually makes a whole lot of sense. I will definitely consider creating some kind of outline the next time I start a track.

Thanks!

This is some great advice as well. I never delete any of my ideas even if I find them to be absolute crap. I guess the good side of having so many unfinished tracks is that you can always combine some of them where you least expect them too.

Other than that, when you get stuck do you find listening to other music help or hinder that process?
Awesome Post.

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MikeyOSB
Kyrpto (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #28
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195210
Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
..Other than that, when you get stuck do you find listening to other music help or hinder that process?
I find listening to other music helps..but only if I'm listening to stuff in order to relax. I don't usually find listening to other peoples music..or my own music, either..a good way to get "unstuck" directly, as you run the risk of comparing your stuff to theirs, and that came bog you down even more in the end if it throws up self-doubts in your mind about your production skills or general stylistic decisions.

I can't really explain it other than to say just listening and enjoying the music for what it is usually does help to free up my mind and get things back on track..so, yeah, keep listening to music for the fun of it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
DJyamusic
Regular Freak
DJyamusic will become famous soon enough
israel
MC Status: 60

Most of the stuff on my computer is junk or unfinished songs, and I get stuck a lot even if the track is starting ggood sometimes I just can't continue ...
DJyamusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Hayake - Jagerchrist
Old 13-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195210
Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyamusic View Post
Most of the stuff on my computer is junk or unfinished songs, and I get stuck a lot even if the track is starting ggood sometimes I just can't continue ...
Yeah..as some of us have said here, that happens to us all..it's normal and nothing to really get hung up on..just move on to something else for now and forget about it.

The main point to take from this thread is don't close yourself off to working with these junk files at a later date..and, in fact, it's good practice to come back to them every so often and play around with them.

Sometimes things kick off again and you get to finish one of these old tracks..other times they can start you off in a whole new directions and result in you starting and finishing a completely new and different work.

Basically, never think of anything as being junk..just try to see it as not being useful right now..it helps with how your mind processes things as you produce music and helps build confidence in yourself as a producer..if you feel better about yourself in what you do, then you will do it better..trust me.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #31
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

I currently have over 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999

tracks I have not finished or am disappointed with and do not release.

(or at least it feels like it.)

------------------

Old 24-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #32
erikmichael
Minor Glitch
erikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 160

It's become my view that it's incredibly important to finish songs. Not necessarily every single unfinished song, but the majority. It sounds obvious, through finishing songs we become better at finishing songs. That's the only way. Even if the songs aren't up to our standards, the only way to ever get them up to our tastes is to complete song after song after song.

I'm a perfectionist and can't tell you how many projects I've abandoned. It's like I was searching for the perfect record and only that perfect record deserved to be completed. But this really held me back. You see, no idea was ever good enough. And I actually became worse at mixing because I was never finishing tracks. A lot of this game is all about practice and repetition. I put my judgement aside a few months ago and just started finishing songs, most of which I haven't even put out the public.

Check out the Art of Story telling talk by Ira Glass. He talks about the importance of creating a volume of work. And how the process of finishing is the quickest way to close the 'quality gap' between your taste and what you create. I'm going through this right now and it was a revelation for me.
erikmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #33
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Too many!

Last edited by Luke_Nukem; 02-06-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #34
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

Some great stuff here. I particularly like the bit about telling a story. Like most, it sounds, I've got a ton of unfinished tracks. I name them odd things, and realized it was bad when I looked back at some of my old tracks and didn't know what they were by name. I attribute it to the fact that they really had no true meaning.

It's easy for me to get sucked into messing about with the myriad of VSTs I've acquired and it becomes this paradox of choice. So many cool options. I'll get a cool 4 or 8 bar loop going and it sounds great, but WTF is it? What does it mean? That just got old to me.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of a song, which has been problematic for me, too. But I really now try to focus on the whole as opposed to piecing random bits of things that sound cool together with no particular direction. Electronic music is such a wide-open thing, just look at the myriad of genres people use in the Listening Booth. We can do whatever the fuck we want - there are no rules, no structure. I admire greatly those who have found their sound and own it. I haven't.

My current approach to writing is to try to compose pieces that mean something to me, that convey some emotion, and, like a story, that have some sort of arc with a beginning and end. Hopefully I can better convey what's in my head into sound such that it might resonate with someone who hears it over time.

Also, as has been mentioned - I try to just finish things, and put them out, whatever that looks like. Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. It is what it is, and if I don't like it, I try to do better next time. I'm still getting used to what it's like to finish and I've put out a lot of rubbish. It's symbolic of my growth (or lack of), and I know I will improve if I stay with it. Whether I'm talented or not, I've got to put in the time to get good at anything.
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #35
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I had tracks laying around for 10 years I got back and added things to. Not smth I really recommend as a general practice. I think AM is spot on though, especially when you go outside your comfort zone a bit and try making smth new and different.

Don't be afraid to play around with your stuff though. Set up some modulation, jam down on your midi keyboard. If nothing else works go totally crazy with it and totally fuck a part of the song over until you get smth you like. Ignore mixing and sour notes for a bit. Then go back to normal and try convert the madness into useful stuff.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
A.M (03-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #36
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45946931
Thanked 5,775 Times in 3,628 Posts

Probably about 30-40 nearly finished tracks ranging from death metal to synthwave to ambient. The problem i have is just getting them finished, I think most of them are mostly composed all the way through but need like, spicing up and/or mixing and most of the death metal stuff is just missing vocals.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #37
Yikole
Minor Glitch
Yikole has a spectacular aura aboutYikole has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

If I get stuck, I make a new project and come back to the one I was stuck on after a few days. Dunno why exactly, but it's actually harder for me NOT to finish a track than to push through and complete it, even if the end result somewhat disappoints me.

I guess my internal reasoning is that I'm learning almost all the time by following through and finishing, which is a good mindset to have, imo.
Yikole is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #38
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I currently have over 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999

tracks I have not finished or am disappointed with and do not release.

(or at least it feels like it.)
This is my life. ADHD rules

------------------
:bye::bye:
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #39
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2310

I can tell pretty early on if a track is gonna become a keeper, so I often move on, sometimes come back to old tracks.

if I'm stuck on a keeper, I come back the next day, maybe start another one and deal with 2 or 3 at the same time.

But if I'm stuck for too long (more than 2 or 3 days), I usually (not always) give it up.

From January (when I began to record music again), I have about 30 or so finished track, maybe 10 of which that are really good and deep, for over a hundred projects total.
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #40
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460

Very interesting topic and opinions!
After years of this kind of mind conversations and self-doubt (regarding my unfinished material and the block phases) i'm setting a new macro project for myself: challenging myself to not make new music until i'll give a new life to all my unfinished songs (completing them or morphing them into something new).

Advertisements

Dark Opera is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote