sound for new system
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 21-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
john10001
Learning The Ropes
john10001 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
sound for new system

I have been building a new system in the last few weeks for my music. Pretty much got everything essential sorted except for soundcard/audio interface.

Just wondering what you are using and whether you would recommend going with standard pci / pci-e card like e-mu or m-audio e.g. Audiophile 192 / 2496, E-mu 0404, or an external FireWire Audio interface like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 / Presonus FireStudio Mobile / M-Audio ProFire 610?

Do you notice a big improvement in audio quality by going with the latter? Looking at sound cards cost wise it may be figures like 125 and the external audio interfaces would be around 225 give or take so around 100 difference.

Cheers,
John

Advertisements

john10001 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
hEADaCHE
Microknight
hEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Re: sound for new system

There honestly should be no difference in audio quality in PCI vs Firewire, if all other components are the same. I think you can transmit more data over Firewire so the advantage is more ins/outs. The audio quality is determined by the D/A and A/D converters.

That being said, I do like the audio quality of my EMU 1212M (be sure to get the M version, its better D/A & A/D converters)

Last edited by hEADaCHE; 29-10-2011 at 04:01 AM..

------------------
Check out Uncoiled Loops, always looking for new artists and tracks for compilations:
Http://www.uncoiledloops.com
Http://Uncoiledloops.bandcamp.com
hEADaCHE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
hEADaCHE
Microknight
hEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of lighthEADaCHE is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Yeah, I guess that could generally be true, but if you get right down to specific cards, you might find a specific pci card is better than FireWire. I probably wouldn't get too hung up on this, focus on specific things you need. I would mention that FireWire is more "portable" I.e. If you ever think of going on the road, having something that could be used on a desktop and a laptop might be a good feature.

Last edited by hEADaCHE; 29-10-2011 at 07:48 PM..

------------------
Check out Uncoiled Loops, always looking for new artists and tracks for compilations:
Http://www.uncoiledloops.com
Http://Uncoiledloops.bandcamp.com
hEADaCHE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Reedswitch
Analog Lurker
Reedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MC
Fairfield, Iowa
MC Status: 562149

I'd go for the Focusrite.
Reedswitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
0w3n
Regular Freak
0w3n will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 53

x2 on the focusrite. By far the best interface I've used (had m-audio, EMU & TC before) drivers & control pannel work really well - you can just forget about it & get on with the music. Sound quality is great as well.

Advertisements

0w3n is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote