Advice on Speaker system
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
HedrekeR
Minor Glitch
HedrekeR is currently spamming hard
Dublin
MC Status: 10
Advice on Speaker system

I am look into a new speaker system and do not really know what i am looking for.

I want to be able to use it for live gigs but it will mostly be setup in my home.

Budget of between 150 to 400 Euro in total (I know its not much).
I do not really have any idea on speakers for live gigs as have only ever used a speaker system i got off a neighbor so i would also like to know what else i need to DJ/Play Live

Advertisements

HedrekeR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Advice on Speaker system

the first piece of information I feel is missing in this post is: are you producing music, or just dj'ing?
because for production, you are going to have a completely different set of needs than if you are just a dj. For production, you will want studio monitors with as flat a frequency response as possible, as this aids in getting a proper mix. If you are looking to play out to a crowd, you will want a different system entirely, based more on minimizing audio distortion at high output levels. If you can better state the primary use, you will likely get better answers to your question, which unfortunately may be that you need two different systems (if your answer is that you produce as well as needing speakers to play live) though I'd imagine most venues would have their own sound systems for you to make use of, unless of course you're throwing your own parties.

Last edited by penguinoid; 12-10-2011 at 08:26 PM..

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Spax88
Soundscaper
Spax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MC
MC Status: 6802622

And if you're serious about throwing your own parties then 400euro will get you one speaker of any reputable quality. Unless you just want some shit active pub disco set up.

------------------
Spax88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
0ddity1
Minor Glitch
0ddity1 is currently spamming hard

hey im in the same boat looking for something just to listen to tunes on (party), needs good sub bass!
0ddity1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

if you just want loud, get a cheap secondhand PA. you cant really have one system for gigs and studio.
and who wants to rip up the studio for EVERY GIG?
i know you probably want a system asap, but its bets to save up, buy 2 JBL dual 15" stacks and 2 JBL 20" subs and a couple amps for live, and get some m-audio monitors for studio, m-audio monitors are fairly cheap for what you get.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
AchillesSmile
Regular Freak
AchillesSmile is currently spamming hard

I have an old Creative Six Speaker setup. It shakes my house and I added a second Sub. These are computer speakers. For mixing and mastering I use a cheap pair of Shure's. The sound quality is very clean, no big bass or anything. I think that's what you want. When it's played through my other speakers it's like WOW. All of sharp tones and what little bass I heard from the headphones, when played on my pc speakers really come to life.

Advertisements

AchillesSmile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote