New Label
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
DJ RISE
Granular Poster
DJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to behold
Banora Point, NSW
MC Status: 860
New Label

So I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Finally took the plunge with a mate of mine. I started a label. Or at least have started the ground work for one. Our first year or two will be free releases to build up a fanbase and catalog. That way I can approach an aggregate with an established backing and guarantee of future business.

So later on I'd have to sort the business side of it out to make it legit for tax and shit. But that is for when it comes time to sell.

We have a long term plan laid out that we're hoping will help us achieve our goals of becoming a label that people talk about and actually selling quality tracks.

We aren't focusing on a particular genre as that is boring as shit.We are gonna focus on music that is interesting and well-produced. No Spinnin' Records here!

I want to build a good relationship with our artists as well. As long as we original founders are in charge everything will be done fair and above board. My own personal experiences with labels compels me to do so.

I was wondering if anyone here had any interests in jumping on board or even just chatting to me about it. Query away! I'm learning as I go so am open to ideas for promotion, general running of the label, etc. I'm looking to start promoting for submissions soon. Right now I am doing up artwork and shit for various sites: Facebook, Youtube, Soundcloud. Those are the primary fronts at the moment. More will come, I'm sure.

I'm certainly not delusional. I know it'll take time and effort. But I am certainly keen to get gritty!

Oh, yeah. I wanted something different for the name. 'Not Your Average Media'. That's the handle. Hopefully you'll see this somewhere in the future and be like, 'I remember when this guy signed up to IDMf. Maybe he wasn't a piece of shit after all!' Haha!

So yeah. Converse away!

Advertisements

DJ RISE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts
Re: New Label

Hey man, good luck!

My only comment at this point would be about the focus of your label--I like that you don't want to micro-focus on something super specific as far as what you want to release. But I think you ought to have some kind of general aesthetic--it doesn't have to be about genre or BPM, breakbeats or 4x4...it could be about the "vibe" of the tunes. Something simple like, "dark, gritty, bass-heavy music" just as an example.

My two cents.

Keep us informed, I will probably throw a few demos your way : )

EDIT: Had a another thought...what are you going to do about Mastering before you turn this into a for-profit venture? Do you have someone lined up, you paying out of pocket, or is it up to the artist? Are you going to do some kind of basic contract even before you go for-profit? I would be way more comfortable letting someone publish my work for free if the rights returned to me after a period of time.

I know literary magazines in the US that publish short stories and poetry almost exclusively return the rights to the author once the issue has been published.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
DJ RISE
Granular Poster
DJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to beholdDJ RISE is a splendid one to behold
Banora Point, NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Hey man, good luck!

My only comment at this point would be about the focus of your label--I like that you don't want to micro-focus on something super specific as far as what you want to release. But I think you ought to have some kind of general aesthetic--it doesn't have to be about genre or BPM, breakbeats or 4x4...it could be about the "vibe" of the tunes. Something simple like, "dark, gritty, bass-heavy music" just as an example.
I'd describe it as any music that moves me. Haha. But really, compressing my tastes to a few words is difficult. I reckon, 'Music for the cultivated.' 'Music for the intelligent.' Some adjectives I'd look at including so far are 'bass' 'deep'. 140BPM +/- 30BPM. Haha. Hard to explain what I'm thinking. I don't want to narrow it too much as a nice DNB track will just as likely get a release as a slow chill vibe track. As long as they tickle my nipples.

Quote:
Keep us informed, I will probably throw a few demos your way : )
I'll link you when such things happen.

Quote:
EDIT: Had a another thought...what are you going to do about Mastering before you turn this into a for-profit venture? Do you have someone lined up, you paying out of pocket, or is it up to the artist? Are you going to do some kind of basic contract even before you go for-profit? I would be way more comfortable letting someone publish my work for free if the rights returned to me after a period of time.

I know literary magazines in the US that publish short stories and poetry almost exclusively return the rights to the author once the issue has been published.
This I will have to look into. As I have no contacts who are master engineers. Definitely for the paid releases they will be mastered and possibly even beforehand. Depending on who I can source and what deal I can coax out of them.

The details on who pays for it I'll have to discuss with admin. But I'm sure it will be beneficial for the artist whatever it may be.

As for contracts, anything that is released through the label, even for free, will have one. As I am thinking of it at the moment, I'm unsure as to whether to take all rights to the song (I'd prefer not to). Or just the performing, synchronization and mechanical rights. And leave the songwriter rights to the artist? Also I think with the turnover the industry sees now, six months timeout on a contract is plenty.

I did have an idea on this today, but it will need fleshing out. Haha.
Thanks to DJ RISE
relic (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts

Cool. Sounds like you are doing more than most people who start netlabels. "Music for the cultivated" would make a cool motto/tag line for the label I think.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
DJ RISE
Granular Poster
Banora Point, NSW

Absolutely. It's been plotting around in my head for quite some time now. So there are some aspects I have down.

'Music for the cultivated' it is.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quality over quantity. No releases to demonstrate the label is still active or something desperate.

Don't fool yourself into believing people are relying on your label for material.

Be really picky about every release. Say no to artists who might bring down the overall output. Someone else will publish their music.

Get the best doing some remixes, or appearing on a compilation.

Stream full versions of every track. I'm not buying based on some pretentious hype description on a website.

Use high quality artwork on every release. None of that jokey cock and balls ms paint shit.

Alongside digital sales offer physical digipacks, vinyls, cassettes.

Consider teaming up with other already established labels and publish joint releases. CD version published by them, vinyl version by you.

Advertisements

Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote