Making money off your music? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #41
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195060
Thanked 3,901 Times in 2,906 Posts
Re: Making money off your music?

Thanks for that, J..but he's not talking about retiring..he's saying their won't release another album because there's no money in it anymore..like I said, it's all about the money, not the music. There's countless talented people out there making music, who know they'll never make money from what they're doing, but they do it anyway because they love doing it..I just don't hear that in what he's saying is all..he just seems focused on making money and the very real problem of people having gotten used to just ripping stuff from the Net.and I'm not disputing that.

Also, I totally agree with you about how having to be a "jack-of-all-trades" is bullshit..I honestly wish I knew a way to actually make a living from my music without having to do all that kind of shit these days..but it's looking more and more like that's what you have to do to get anywhere today.

Still, deep down, I like to think that regardless of the shit state of things, that if you make really good music, then it will find it's place..and you will make money from it eventually.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:36 AM   #42
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really nice
Philadephia
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
How many of you actually make money off your music?

I've been making music for five years now, and everything I've released has always just been free. I decided two months ago to at least throw up a donation link on all my tracks and social media outlets.

I made $6 in two months haha, so basically nothing, but it got me thinking... I guess you really can make some money off your music. The thing is, I don't really have a reach with people, as I always assumed you kind of needed if you wanted to make money from your music. No reach = Nobody even knowing about your music.

What is the best way to get into at least making a little bit of money off your music? I know you can send songs to spotify and if they like it, they will stream it and give you a very small cut every time it's streamed. Which also, can't hurt..

Any suggestions, or advice from people who already are making a little cash on the side would be appreciated. Thanks!
Well for many underground artists with no fanbase is very hard to make some money. You're not going to get famous overnight and make a million dollars. staying on here and communicating on forums is going to help out but normally it takes a while to get a huge fanbase. i spend countless amounts of money to promote my music and normally its going nowhere. do some shows here and there that people go to frequently. try to publish content other thaan music. try to be funny. sometimes people like that. always stay in communication with your fans and always follow up with them because they have friends they can boast to about you and your music.
aktiveight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #43
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 171760
Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,053 Posts

The CBC's Radio One has a show that's just about marketing called "Under The Influence".

Listen to that. You'll get more from this than from reading advice from any failed or successful wanker in the music business... and what you'll learn goes above and beyond a single industry. It's essentially a psychology-of-the-masses course applied to the art of selling shit... be it ideas or products.

You're welcome.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #44
stray medicine
Binch
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19660

You'll probably get paid to perform live long before you ever get paid for your music alone, that's just how people who I've seen who are making moves around here are doing it. Focus on that if you want to make money from it... and if you're really focused on the making money part of it, you may have to pander

Edit: get to know cool people who are involved in your local music scene, make friends with them and see if they can help you get shows. It isn't sociopathic unless you don't actually enjoy their company

Last edited by stray medicine; 24-03-2017 at 11:50 PM..
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #45
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2910

I have been creating since I was a kid. The substance has just changed over the years. Mostly art followed by DJing and now onto music production.

All I want to do is to put my shit out there and if people feel it, then they do. Not worried about the ones that don't.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Nas - I Gave You Power
Old 30-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #46
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

So I've been getting "taxi" listings for a while. Seems interesting. Haven't joined. Anyone doing this?
Here's a listing :

FUTURISTIC TENSION CUES Needed by Media Giant's In House Catalog
TN

TAXI Music News
Sat 2016-12-31 9:11 AM
Inbox
To:
Dave Lauzon (davelauz@hotmail.com);
Evernote
Follow TAXI:
Trouble viewing this email? View it online here.

Dear Passengers,

This company is loving what it’s getting from our members! Keep these simple, go for mood, and keep reading to get all the details you need!

FUTURISTIC, TENSION-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a really large media company for placements in several projects, including hit cable TV shows, other shows on their own network, and online media. This rapidly growing industry giant is building its own Exclusive, In-House Music Library and will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. Please take a listen to the references the client gave us to get an idea of the range of styles that could work for this pitch:

“Stranger Things Main Theme” by Survive

“Mr. Robot Main Theme” by Mac Quayle

“Blindspot Theme” by Blake Neely

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that have current-sounding, electronic and orchestral elements, and deliver a feeling of expectancy and anticipation. Craft your Cue around a simple melodic theme that’s engaging and suspenseful, while gradually adding electronic elements to create space, dynamics, and interest as your Cue progresses. Having dark, ambient, futuristic synth pads will work best for creating that ominous, moody vibe they’re after. Don’t throw the kitchen sink at this. Keep your Cues simple and remember that mood is king, and sticking with one mood and motif from top to bottom will make them love you.

All submissions should be at least 2:00 minutes in length and Non-Faded endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This new, Exclusive, In-House Library will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the music you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Please submit 1-3 Instrumental Cues Online or per CD.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
A.M (30-03-2017)
Old 30-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #47
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195060
Thanked 3,901 Times in 2,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
So I've been getting "taxi" listings for a while. Seems interesting. Haven't joined. Anyone doing this?
Here's a listing :

FUTURISTIC TENSION CUES Needed by Media Giant's In House Catalog
TN

TAXI Music News
Sat 2016-12-31 9:11 AM
Inbox
To:
Dave Lauzon (davelauz@hotmail.com);
Evernote
Follow TAXI:
Trouble viewing this email? View it online here.

Dear Passengers,

This company is loving what it’s getting from our members! Keep these simple, go for mood, and keep reading to get all the details you need!

FUTURISTIC, TENSION-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a really large media company for placements in several projects, including hit cable TV shows, other shows on their own network, and online media. This rapidly growing industry giant is building its own Exclusive, In-House Music Library and will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. Please take a listen to the references the client gave us to get an idea of the range of styles that could work for this pitch:

“Stranger Things Main Theme” by Survive

“Mr. Robot Main Theme” by Mac Quayle

“Blindspot Theme” by Blake Neely

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that have current-sounding, electronic and orchestral elements, and deliver a feeling of expectancy and anticipation. Craft your Cue around a simple melodic theme that’s engaging and suspenseful, while gradually adding electronic elements to create space, dynamics, and interest as your Cue progresses. Having dark, ambient, futuristic synth pads will work best for creating that ominous, moody vibe they’re after. Don’t throw the kitchen sink at this. Keep your Cues simple and remember that mood is king, and sticking with one mood and motif from top to bottom will make them love you.

All submissions should be at least 2:00 minutes in length and Non-Faded endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This new, Exclusive, In-House Library will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the music you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Please submit 1-3 Instrumental Cues Online or per CD.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Can you PM me the details on this..meaning URL or contact stuff.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #48
phenomenal67
Regular Freak
phenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nice
Perry, Maine
MC Status: 410

I've had moderate success over the years getting my music onto local radio stations, so that's a place to start gaining exposure. Once you can build a local name for yourself, things will become easier. Even if you're not paid for your airtime right away, it'll expose the people around you to your name and vibe, allowing people who may be interested in your sound to reach you. 50% of making money on this is about who you know, and who they know.
phenomenal67 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #49
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Promotion is a bitch. As in, even when you think you're spreading enough, you will still find people who haven't seen your stuff. Do you really think the top level guys are that incredible? I just hear commercial plugins with commercial sampling and mixes that have probably passed several hands before being released
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
A.M (08-07-2017)
Old 13-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #50
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
What is the best way to get into at least making a little bit of money off your music? I know you can send songs to spotify and if they like it, they will stream it and give you a very small cut every time it's streamed. Which also, can't hurt..
Start by recording music that you yourself love, and that you've put a lot of effort into. Hope that people who find it will get some feels. Not that they would pay for the work, but it's a start. It's worth building a relationship with your audience.

The path to earning money for your work, especially while you sleep, is blocked by entities and factions. Some of them e.g. labels take your rights and release your music, but also could actively work to develop your production, promotion, image, and career. A side effect of others is blasting noise in an omni pattern (e.g. youtube). Promoting on your own, in trying to give away your work, you're battling for the same attention and/or time spots against others who are willing to just buy the attention/time/spots (promoted content).

Back to your relationship with your audience, for years it might be in painfully small numbers. In fact it might never grow in numbers. And again, those who pay for attention and/or time, will weigh heavy on you doing this. Life will chew you while you work to build a fan base.

Keep your expectations low but do put a price on your work, one that is more than just the time your listeners will spend. For some people, the path to valuing something begins with cost and there $1 makes a ton of difference to $0. The music has to be worth it. Putting it out for $0 solves nothing for its promotion, and to listen to it online on e.g Bandcamp is free. In fact all sorts of sites will make sure it's available to download for $0 cash, and there the relationship with your listeners becomes central.

They will want to support you. But how?

Streaming services like Spotify ask of your listeners to continuously demonstrate interest in your work, before the service pays you something reasonable. I think that's a fallacy. It kind of works for established artists and/or labels, with big back-catalogues. In my experience your audience feel or don't feel like supporting you, and at the moment they do, it's not proportional to how often they play your music. So, no, your track isn't worth half a cent per listen. It's up to your listeners to decide. Streaming, however, will prevent many, if not all, of your listeners, from actually buying your work -> a true cost to bringing it to more listeners (among which are tv and film editors who keep playlists of tracks to cut to).

When you build enough of a catalogue, then people can pick up not just the one new thing you've done, but a few others too, before they "exit the giftshop". It grows exponentially. Own your work.

All of the above is small-scale and the hard way. It likely won't get you in adverts, TV, or in film. That's where rights societies come into play. Not being registered with one may well prevent your music from being used in a production, or just aired on a more traditional medium (radio, tv). Then again, being registered with a society doesn't mean much, especially to a small artist.

It's complicated. But for the independent labels and artists, it has always been.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #51
harry x.
IDMf's latest spammer
harry x. is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 10

I've gotten some of my music aired on TV shows and made some money (not enough to quit my day job). The best advice I can give is to set up a publishing company with either BMI or ASCAP. It cost me $200 (this was almost 20 years ago). I almost lost a deal because a TV producer didn't think I had a publishing company. There is too much liability on their end to deal with someone they believe to be amateurs.

This is the mechanical/sync license and you get royalties every time it airs. Syndicated channels pay roughly $5000 every time it airs (collected by BMI or ASCAP) but it depends on if it is background or foreground music. Cable channels like MTV pay about $200 every time your song airs. BMI/ASCAP then sends you checks in the mail but be prepared to pay heavy taxes as there are no deductions like your paycheck. Your accountant will need to fill out a 1099 tax form (in the US). Then there is the fun part where you will try to have itemized deductions (like recording gear) in order to pay less taxes.

I wouldn't recommend wasting money with services like TAXI. Most TV/film producers don't need to go to an outside service to get music, they have hundreds of friends/relatives bugging them about leads.

On the other hand, I recommend connecting with film students. They need music for their projects and you never know, they might have a pilot that gets picked up, a web series that gets sponsored etc...

Also, you can always produce some singers who are well financed. So many people want to be rock stars these days... they are willing to pay a producer for their tracks/studio expertise. You folks on this forum are exactly who they are looking for. It's funny seeing online ads "singers looking for producers". "Producers looking for singers". One would think they just need to connect with one another.

I once produced this singer who made money from this TV show so she had financing. I got paid hourly after my day job and the project lasted for months. The only irritating factor was that her husband acted like he owned me because he had paid me some money... they were nice and then money got involved. I believe once money gets involved, it changes the dynamics of all relationships.
harry x. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #52
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22610

I make some money producing for rappers and just understanding general buisness, but I think I can make more if I try harder.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #53
Ogor
IDMf's latest spammer
Ogor will become famous soon enoughOgor will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I play in band for weddings! you can earn enough for living at least here in Croatia,if you can call that life but many people that try to make their own music are in big problems! I still think playing is the best way to earn money for most of us
Ogor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ogor
A.M (26-08-2017)
Old 27-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #54
Sorrezoo
Regular Freak
Sorrezoo will become famous soon enoughSorrezoo will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

You can save enough money to buy yourself a DJ set and set out a ad, but for making money from music online is difficult proccess
Sorrezoo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #55
emblade
Regular Freak
emblade has a spectacular aura aboutemblade has a spectacular aura about
Minnesota
MC Status: 160

I might just be a 19 year old drug addict musician (actually completely sober now but when i was producing most of my music i was not) but it was always my opinion that music is transcendent of money, i was actually offered a contract when i was 17 and they wanted to fly me out to new york and shit and you what i said

GO FUCK YERSELF

jk i politely refused because i dont want to be a career musician and it really is just a hobby and i make the songs for me and anyone who would care to take a listen.

food for thought
emblade is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #56
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is just really nicelocalspace is just really nicelocalspace is just really nicelocalspace is just really nicelocalspace is just really nice
MC Status: 410

I'm starting a label so hopefully I'll be making money of your music soon..

But seriously.. I don't expect there to be a lot of money in the releases, but that's not really the point. I've always wanted a label and now I have it. We'll see where it goes.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #57
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

Quote:
Originally Posted by emblade View Post
I might just be a 19 year old drug addict musician (actually completely sober now but when i was producing most of my music i was not) but it was always my opinion that music is transcendent of money, i was actually offered a contract when i was 17 and they wanted to fly me out to new york and shit and you what i said

GO FUCK YERSELF

jk i politely refused because i dont want to be a career musician and it really is just a hobby and i make the songs for me and anyone who would care to take a listen.

food for thought
guy you are not 19 year old drug addict musician you just going crazy a bit

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #58
Vault O)))
Quarter pounder McCunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 52010
Thanked 1,040 Times in 685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emblade View Post

GO FUCK YERSELF

food for thought
I don't buy any of that, but I enjoyed reading it.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #59
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282984
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts

threads like this are great because everybody just throws something into the pot whether they read the OP properly or not... they might have experience or maybe they read a paragraph in future music mag and have a feeling about stuff so its cool to say stuff like its fact anyway.

I cant be certain, and maybe the question was open in this sense, but I don't think the OP is trying to pay all of his bills and survive from music... merely asking about making a bit more money than 6 dollars. that changes everything in regards to how he might approach it.

writing music to a brief in the hope of getting paid for it is very different to making the music you want to make and hoping to make some money from it on your terms because people like it.

anyway I know what I'm talking about just as much as the next guy (varies between a little and nothing) but I have an opinion too so why not...

As far as I have been able to tell over the last few years of living in various places and always keeping my eyes and ears very much open to local musical going ons, there is one thing that seems to consistently get people places: playing out regularly and still being at events when you're not.

There are zillions of people all over the planet that make music on their computers, make a reasonable effort of it and don't see why they cant get a bit of attention out of it pending a bit luck and if they write to enough blogs or whatever. we all know, though, that most of your family and friends don't even give a fuck and plus everybody is shouting to be heard, nobody is clambering to listen. Theres a lot of shit music out there and it seems the freshest, shittest music lads shout the loudest. why the fuck should anybody press play on your music? even if they did AND they liked it they still probably wont come back because I do that all the time, I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

stuff seems to happen for people that play out a lot in their town or city for a few reasons. one is that youre engaging with all sorts of people who are enthusiastic and energised to be around small scale, random electronic music type events and bars and stuff. These people are physically out and willing to watch you stare at your sampler for half an hour. you meet all the other music folks actually doing stuff in your town and it is invaluable. put on gigs yourself in a similar shitey fashion and people will be interested in supporting what you do, because youre part of it all and you support them. importantly it will actually feel really good because youre engaging so much more than you ever will from your bedroom, and you might feel happy and excited and get pleasure from it but that's another thing entirely.... the type of labels you might be submitting to, or collectives, or local artists you want to hear your music and help you out, are often formed by the people that go out into their town and play a lot, and put on their own nights.

I THINK that a 'decent' label is 20x more likely to touch you if you play out regularly, especially if you make dance music. you're not really any good to them if you cant perform or don't. if you do awesome performances/sets youre more valuable to them as theres a big element of you doing the work for yourself. It takes time for you to be getting booked to dances and shit and they cant really do it for you. If you regularly play to decent crowds and are getting booked for stuff your music is gonna reach much further to people that will care about it. also you will have a network of other performers who might push your stuff or maybe even play it out.

DJing is a big part of it imo (somebody else mentioned this) because depending on the music you make and the event youre playing at people are likely to want to go there and dance for a good few hours. bringing all your kit on stage and performing exclusively your own tunes is often less conducive to that kind of thing. (obviously I'm not saying any definitive things this all depends on lots of variables and what youre doing)

I dunno. ive written a lot and I could definitely go on but this is really long. none of what ive described necessarily = money, but I think if you want to reach a wider, more interested/engaged audience as well as labels that may actually do things for you then this is by far the best way to go (in my opinion). I know people that suddenly have NTS shows, I know a guy that went on a tour round Europe as an opening act, I know others that are just really fucking enjoying themselves and making things happen way more than the hordes of people online who are doing nothing.

OP makes really dope sounding music if I remember rightly. if I were him I would see about casually biting the bullet and going out and doing some terrible empty gigs purely for shits and giggles. maybe make some friends and get to know people in your area whilst doing it.

you have nothing to lose. as long as you do it in a non transactional (transactional?) way i.e. don't expect anything from it it should be a laugh at the least.

CHEEEEEEEEEEERS EVERYONE

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #60
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282984
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts

I just want to add that by making people dance or entertaining them in a bar you are doing something for them that they cant get everywhere. music is so accessible and disposable that if people want to listen to some music for an hour while they work they can just open up Spotify and the service will pick the tunes for them. it doesn't even matter what it is as it will be in the right ball park. they probably wont even look up to find out who the track is by when they like it. nobody wants a fuckin mp3 do they.

people do want to dance though, they do want to go out and meet people in that kind of setting. lots of people get their jollies from going into a loud dark room and hearing something new. its the one thing that the internet hasn't replaced or ruined because it cant. That will form good connections in their brain to you and your music... maybe. like I said I can listen to music and think 'that's decent' and never go back

apologies for keyboard dysentery I will definitely stop now

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
jVs (11-03-2018)