[Rhythmic Noise, Industrial, IDM] Hexphosphorus - Blood Shadows
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 17-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
HexPhosphorus
Microknight
HexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, Los Angeles, Madison, and Portland Oregon.
MC Status: 260
[Rhythmic Noise, Industrial, IDM] Hexphosphorus - Blood Shadows

Just made this one.

Updated version.

Last edited by HexPhosphorus; 04-07-2017 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: title fixed

Advertisements

------------------
HexPhosphorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Rhythmic Noise, Industrial, IDM] Hexphosphorus - Blood Shadows.
Old 18-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts
Re: [Rhythmic Noise, Industrial, IDM] Hexphosphorus - Blood Shadows

Love that intro, partly because of the dynamics.

Low end percussion is a little obscured throughout though stuff like hats are nice and clear. I did feel it was a bit one-loop-with-occasional-extras-here-and-there but that said I really liked the chord progression in it.

There's some parts where you take away the main loop content and this adds some welcome variation but I think you could risk taking away a little more so that when it all kicks back in there's some serious in-yer-face industrial smashing.

Despite crits, enjoyed listening, good work

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
HexPhosphorus
Microknight
HexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the rough

I am debating whether this one sounds better.

Scratch that. Version 5 was poorly mixed.

Last edited by HexPhosphorus; 20-06-2017 at 03:35 AM..

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #4
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

I think this one should do it. I put more care into mixing.

Any last minute feedback is very much appreciated.

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexPhosphorus View Post
Just made this one.

Man! I enjoy this music) Thanks for your work)
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Still Retarded™
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 41710

Sounds more musical than I was expecting. Kind of NeonRain-ish, too

You seem to be getting better with your distortion-soaked dynamics - it's not quite as brickwalled and it allows for some awesome musical movement to happen. Your loops are much more seamless on this track, too, although with the familiar pitch-shifting lead that seems to be in every one of your tracks (maybe you could glitch it up for some variation!). I don't know how to describe that sound, but I think you know which I'm referring to.

This is the coolest track of yours I've heard so far. I think you're starting to hone your style - it's super listenable as well as unique, and it blends the things I like about industrial noise and music together.

Looking forward to hearing more, keep it up.

Edit: Dammit. I replied to the OP again. Remember to update the original post if you want feedback on that one, because some of us don't read the entire feedback thread

------------------
Placeholder for Unregistered's next dick pic
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Roo Stercogburn
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Edit: Dammit. I replied to the OP again. Remember to update the original post if you want feedback on that one, because some of us don't read the entire feedback thread
But genuinely this.

I'll listen to the update tomorrow. Got the notification of update but doing something else that ABSOLUTELY does not involve Lego Batman. Or a Phantom Zone projector. Or Barbara Gordon.

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

I get excellent feedback here. This is where I go when I want critical ears to tell me what to focus on improving.

I use LMMS mostly....Only to compose my samples, most of which I record myself from live synths or my own instruments. I use very few digital instruments that are built into any DAW natively. I take advantage of the wealth of VSTs and plugins that are compatible with free software.

I think I need a mod for LMMS or ReNoise that will let me apply certain effects over a duration of time, so that I can shift things like Noise Gate at key moments.

I could always do this manually in an editor like Audacity, but I don't think the quality is usually as good that way when the effects are applied solo and out of context in a different program. Sometimes it works, but you have to keep tweaking and playing with it to dial it in.

Without a mod that would let me apply effects unevenly throughout a track, I could also copy the same samples and play them with different attenuation and effects and then divide them up into sections....or something like that.

I have a lot of ideas for what I would like to do if I had an easier way of doing it.

------------------
Old 21-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

More variation in it now, which is good.

It sounds like you're describing the need for automation on FX in your setup, something a lot of us pretty much take for granted these days.

------------------
Old 22-06-2017, 02:56 AM   #10
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

It looks like I already had some of these features. This is the next thing for me to learn how to use maybe.

------------------
Old 23-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Toothpinch
Radial Developer
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1960

This is probably my favorite track of yours.
Agreed about not being brickwalled and more variation as the big pluses.

Question tho, why are you limiting yourself to LMMS and not moving on to a more robust set up?
Is it just for the challenge or are you planning on changing at some point?

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #12
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

Besides being poor and not having the patience for Windows 8 or 10 (I prefer Arch Linux), almost nothing I make is based on native instruments or samples. Every sample is recorded live or ripped and run through effects and then loaded as samples. LMMS is used strictly to compose the samples and then apply effects to individual samples and the entire track.

I probably would* take more advantage of native instruments, but I like of like recording and using at least some unique samples that nobody else will ever have unless I share them.

There is plenty of cracked software that I could afford, but it's a bit more of a hassle to either set up a Windows computer or try to set it up with emulation, and then hope there isn't additional latency or performance issues.

Being able to load all of my VSTs and plugins is important to me. Most of them are not instruments but effects that I am familiar with and learned well enough to understand them, finally.

If there is a lot more that I can do more easily with automation or if the quality of the rendering is better, then I would consider using something else.....Probably Renoise because it runs natively on Linux and is compatible with my plugins and effects.

It just hasn't been worth it so far to switch to proprietary software just for the native instruments and effects when I hardly use any native instruments or effects.

------------------
Old 30-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26310

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexPhosphorus View Post
Besides being poor and not having the patience for Windows 8 or 10 (I prefer Arch Linux), almost nothing I make is based on native instruments or samples. Every sample is recorded live or ripped and run through effects and then loaded as samples. LMMS is used strictly to compose the samples and then apply effects to individual samples and the entire track.

I probably would* take more advantage of native instruments, but I like of like recording and using at least some unique samples that nobody else will ever have unless I share them.

There is plenty of cracked software that I could afford, but it's a bit more of a hassle to either set up a Windows computer or try to set it up with emulation, and then hope there isn't additional latency or performance issues.

Being able to load all of my VSTs and plugins is important to me. Most of them are not instruments but effects that I am familiar with and learned well enough to understand them, finally.

If there is a lot more that I can do more easily with automation or if the quality of the rendering is better, then I would consider using something else.....Probably Renoise because it runs natively on Linux and is compatible with my plugins and effects.

It just hasn't been worth it so far to switch to proprietary software just for the native instruments and effects when I hardly use any native instruments or effects.
There really is nothing you are talking about, if I understand you correctly, which I am not 100% on, that can't be done in live for example, or any other more capable DAW.
That said you do seem to have you way around what you are doing pretty figured out.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26310

So I am re listening to the newest version, and same as your other tracks, I find it very constant and could use a ton more changes in tone, like automation to maintain interest.
I do much prefer your sounds in this one tho.
And your sounds are still very centred and in your face I find.
Still find your drums too subdued, but this seems like it's what you do so if it's on purpose disregard.
Cool track overall, enjoyed the ideas.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

This is very nice man! Killer track!

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #16
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

I think I made it better? There are definitely some more variations and unpredictable elements.

Next I am going to bring up the drums on Hexadafi and add some more variations and elements.

Advertisements

------------------