[IDM?] The Deadly Rhythm - Forever Looking Back (Debut Song)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2010
[IDM?] The Deadly Rhythm - Forever Looking Back (Debut Song)

So this is my first ever attempt at electronica. Feedback would be awesome.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Deadly Rhythm; 06-07-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Advertisements

Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDM?] The Deadly Rhythm - Forever Looking Back (Debut Song).
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 174210
Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,602 Posts
Re: [IDM?] The Deadly Rhythm - Forever Looking Back (Debut Song)

Those years you spent in the band certainly have paid off for you, Jonny. If this honestly is your first attempt at electronic music, then you've set yourself a high benchmark. Here's hoping you keep pushing yourself to even higher levels of production. Kudos mate..

Now, before you start getting a big head, there's a few little general things that struck me..but please keep in mind most are based on my own personal preferences and taste, so basically please don't take offense and feel free to ignore everything I say or act on anything you feel might work.

First off..that intro..I think it's just a little too long. It might work better if you cut it down to between 10 and 12 second, but no more. I get you're building tension in the track, but it just sounds to me like it's taking too long to get where it wants to go.

Next, some parts sound a little too long, too..the transitions mainly. That said, you might be able to "kill two birds with the one stone" by adding some sort of counter-melody that runs throughout..giving the track more variation in general and adding to the listening experience. If you added something like that, then the transitions might just work as they are, as the other new melody would carry them along in the mix, helping to open up the track even more.

You have a lot going on in this mix..all good for the most part and I love the choices you've made when it comes to the various sound elements..some really cool things going on in there.

Generally, you might want to take a look at the EQ'ing of the over-all mix..nothing individual..but the track itself, as I'm hearing a little muddiness on it that could do with some attention. That might be my ears, though, as I tend to like all things "bright and shiny" smothered in reverb..so take that with a grain of salt.

All in all, you have a really solid track there, dude..one you should be proud of..even more so, given it's your first attempt. Keep at it..you're certainly not wasting your time, trust me. This would sound great on a movie

Nice one.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Those years you spent in the band certainly have paid off for you, Jonny. If this honestly is your first attempt at electronic music, then you've set yourself a high benchmark. Here's hoping you keep pushing yourself to even higher levels of production. Kudos mate..

Now, before you start getting a big head, there's a few little general things that struck me..but please keep in mind most are based on my own personal preferences and taste, so basically please don't take offense and feel free to ignore everything I say or act on anything you feel might work.

First off..that intro..I think it's just a little too long. It might work better if you cut it down to between 10 and 12 second, but no more. I get you're building tension in the track, but it just sounds to me like it's taking too long to get where it wants to go.

Next, some parts sound a little too long, too..the transitions mainly. That said, you might be able to "kill two birds with the one stone" by adding some sort of counter-melody that runs throughout..giving the track more variation in general and adding to the listening experience. If you added something like that, then the transitions might just work as they are, as the other new melody would carry them along in the mix, helping to open up the track even more.

You have a lot going on in this mix..all good for the most part and I love the choices you've made when it comes to the various sound elements..some really cool things going on in there.

Generally, you might want to take a look at the EQ'ing of the over-all mix..nothing individual..but the track itself, as I'm hearing a little muddiness on it that could do with some attention. That might be my ears, though, as I tend to like all things "bright and shiny" smothered in reverb..so take that with a grain of salt.

All in all, you have a really solid track there, dude..one you should be proud of..even more so, given it's your first attempt. Keep at it..you're certainly not wasting your time, trust me. This would sound great on a movie

Nice one.
Woah, cheers man. That really means a hell of a lot. It really is my first attempt too.

I've been playing original music in bands for well over 15 years now so I guess that gives me a bit of a head start.

You're critique is noted too. This is exactly why I posted it on here. I actually agree with everything you pointed out. The one thing I'm not too keen on is the "bright and shiny" EQ though although saying that, I know it could be better.

Thanks again brother. I'll sort out a new structure soon and take what you said into account. I'll just wait until I see if anything else is added by anyone else.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Rhythm View Post
Woah, cheers man. That really means a hell of a lot. It really is my first attempt too.

I've been playing original music in bands for well over 15 years now so I guess that gives me a bit of a head start.

You're critique is noted too. This is exactly why I posted it on here. I actually agree with everything you pointed out. The one thing I'm not too keen on is the "bright and shiny" EQ though although saying that, I know it could be better.

Thanks again brother. I'll sort out a new structure soon and take what you said into account. I'll just wait until I see if anything else is added by anyone else.
Hey, you're welcome.

Sorry about the confusion, but when I mentioned "bright and shiny" I was referring to my own personal tastes and not that's what you need to do to this track. Regarding the EQ bit, I'd just see where I could cut some of the low end from, but obviously don't touch the bass section of the mix..in fact, you could even that bring that up a little more and give the mix a little more "warmth" as they say.

Basically it's your call and do what you feel is right and what gives you the end result you're happy with..that's all that matters in the end. The thing is to know why your track sounds the way it does and that it sounds that way because that's how you wanted it to sound. I know that's kinda obvious, but you know what I mean.

------------------
Old 07-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Norfolk

I was trying to play around with a melody but nothing really fitted. So I shortened the track...alot. I then busted out my old drum kit to layer a beat over at the end with just a room mic. Stole a sample from the game "Inside" and hey presto...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
A.M

Yeah..I think that works a bit better..though I think the EQ still needs some work..the kick sounds a little "Plastic" to me..needs a little more thump to it on this track I feel..but that could just be me.

There's certainly a sense of scoring to your work..no big surprise there, I guess, given some of your past live projects. In fact, creativity isn't your problem..I'm thinking your issues are with the technical side of things..basically you know you have to polish..but you just don't know who much to put on the cloth, if you know what I mean.

You'll get there..sooner than later, I think..just keep applying yourself to this and it will all fall into place, you'll see. I'm talking, of course, about your production skills..success in the industry and all that entails(..whatever that is for you personally) is a totally different story..one you're going to have to write for yourself.

------------------
Old 07-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Norfolk

Quote:
Yeah..I think that works a bit better..though I think the EQ still needs some work..the kick sounds a little "Plastic" to me..needs a little more thump to it on this track I feel..but that could just be me.

There's certainly a sense of scoring to your work..no big surprise there, I guess, given some of your past live projects. In fact, creativity isn't your problem..I'm thinking your issues are with the technical side of things..basically you know you have to polish..but you just don't know who much to put on the cloth, if you know what I mean.

You'll get there..sooner than later, I think..just keep applying yourself to this and it will all fall into place, you'll see. I'm talking, of course, about your production skills..success in the industry and all that entails(..whatever that is for you personally) is a totally different story..one you're going to have to write for yourself.
Electronic music is definitely hard to mix. I'm dealing with so much more. I knew the score with real instruments but this is a different animal altogether! I'll keep working on this until it gets there. I really appreciate your views too. I would rather have you telling me it's not quite "there", until it gets "there" and to the point that I have something to reference.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Rhythm View Post
Electronic music is definitely hard to mix. I'm dealing with so much more. I knew the score with real instruments but this is a different animal altogether! I'll keep working on this until it gets there. I really appreciate your views too. I would rather have you telling me it's not quite "there", until it gets "there" and to the point that I have something to reference.
Like I said, you'll get there..trust me. For now, I'd focus on the basics: compression..reverb..EQ and gain staging..as well as panning. Get your head around them and that's half the battle. The creativity you bring to the mix (pun intended) is all up to you..and in the end..after you've learnt all you can learn, if you don't have that, then it's all worthless.

Theory is good, too..but I think you have that covered well enough already..even if that's only intuitively. I mean, you must have some grasp of it if you've been playing music for all those years live.

My advice: get a feel for working with your DAW..mess with it and have fun. Try new things..ask the old "What does this do" kind of questions and record everything..you never know where it's going to take you.

------------------
Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
A.M

Scratch all of the above..just listened to your second track posted here in the LB. Seems like you're already doing all the right things..just keep doing em, mate. My apologies for "preaching to the choir"..that's the problem with giving feedback on here..sometimes you misread a person's abilities..and I think that's what I've done in your case.

Just keep doing what your doing and tweak things here and there, until things sound right to you..you're already heading in the right direction.

------------------
Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Norfolk

Quote:
Scratch all of the above..just listened to your second track posted here in the LB. Seems like you're already doing all the right things..just keep doing em, mate. My apologies for "preaching to the choir"..that's the problem with giving feedback on here..sometimes you misread a person's abilities..and I think that's what I've done in your case.

Just keep doing what your doing and tweak things here and there, until things sound right to you..you're already heading in the right direction.
Hehe cheers man. Don't think what you have said isn't constructive. I'm still totally new to Electronic Music and there must be some rules that often apply. You've been a huge help anyway.

Advertisements