[Synthwave?] TheStumps - Synthetic Blue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 15-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 2910
[Synthwave?] TheStumps - Synthetic Blue

[UPDATE: THE LATEST VERSION IS IN THIS POST BELOW.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
]

Whelp, hopping back on the horse, I pulled this together.
I've been studying old new-wave (using the term pretty lightly...a bit more accurate to say "Sheffield electro-punk/pop" from the early years), and working out what I liked and didn't like about it more specifically than just enjoying the songs on my playlist.

This isn't to say that this is a direct link to that style, but more the way I tend to do things is to let the influence take my personal style in new directions.
I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Fun fact on this one: I did a "no-no" in that I placed an auto-pan at a panning rate in proportion to 120 bpm (about 1 pan side per second, so half the rate of the bpm) and only a slight pan...very slight.
I also put a teeny tiny hint of a delay; very, very faint...just enough to wet the track a very slight bit.
These are both on the master (that's the no-no), and I was OK with this because I kind of wanted to simulate, in form, the effect of old tape issues where one roller would wobble and your result on your playback would be a slight wobbly effect to the entire sound. The delay was to simulate some of the older boards that had reverbs just flipped on at the final almost the entire time.

This was a fun one to work on. It was a bit of a challenge to balance an essence of old sound, but a splash of new fidelity sound and styles without really going fully either direction.
What I really didn't want was to just retrosynth new-wave like a lot of synthwave seems to do; sounding LIKE new-wave wasn't the point - I wasn't aiming to "take you back" to the 80's...it was more that I was aiming to let the new-wave 80's sound I was focusing on influence a new sound....hopefully!

It was also fun to work with an old DX7 (emulator) again.

Last edited by TheStumps; 29-05-2017 at 03:30 AM..

Advertisements

------------------

TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Synthwave?] TheStumps - Synthetic Blue.
Old 16-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
Re: [Synthwave?] TheStumps - Synthetic Blue

Updated the song.
Made the kicks a bit more pronounced...I had forgotten to adjust them in light of the Master effects which were added after the original balancing of the kicks so they had gone a tad quiet.
Also tapped the mid range up a tiny bit and tossed a slight reverb to we things just a bit.

Cheers!

------------------

Old 21-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia

I find this music interesting. Feels sometimes a bit dry and repetative.
Also good for listetning in a background while gaming probably.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
RAMOS
Minor Glitch
RAMOS is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Its sound good a bit dry yes like someone mentioned try to add a little bit more reverb for the leads it may solve the problem i recommend vahala room for this kind of things.
Also i think you can make it better by adding a vocal
You track reminded me some of the things daft punk using so i think you should try taking from them a bit of infulence like how they using theyre vocodex check them out i think it could be a good idea
RAMOS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42384549
Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,264 Posts

Bassline sounds good, great in places. The leads are a little weak, not just the sound but the riffs themselves. Because the riffs are exactly following the chord pattern changes they aren't building up as much tension as they otherwise might. Address the riffs and it may tip over into being a great track.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

Thank you all for the feedback.
I took all of that in and focused on what most folks seemed to be getting at, and Stercogburn went into detail about (kudos); the leads and their lack of pizzaz.

So I stripped them entirely and re-wrote the melody line and changed up the instruments and settings for the leads.

I'm not 100% on the balancing quite yet - I haven't truly focused on the mixing board at this point after the rewrite. It might be fine as is, but it may also be off in whether or not something is drowned out, or the inverse.

Anywhoo...here's take 2!

------------------

Old 22-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

I had more time to refine this version a bit more tonight.
Haven't had time to proof it; will do tomorrow and update if it's ready.

------------------

Old 22-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

Great production. But my personal view is that the melody (I know the others have said this) doesn't live up to it yet. Am I qualified to say this? Not technically, but I do live in Sheffield!
My personal test is whether I'm still whistling the hook a day later:-)
One small thing, but does the panning do something 'strange' at the start? To me it sounded like the bass was starting on the right then swerving to the left on each beat, or maybe it was delay appearing on the left. Great effect, but I found it a bit disorientating at the current levels. Or it could just be me.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

it's ok but i think making it in 8-bit would be an improvement

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #10
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

OK, I'm mostly alright with the last update I did last night, but there's some minor tweaking that I think needs to be done on a few spots before I upload it.
I'm hoping to have time tonight to work on it - I'll reply and upload as soon as I have it done.

------------------

Old 23-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
dj_patm
Master of the LFO
dj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MC
Calgary
MC Status: 256174

That square/buzz lead playing the melody seems like it's a bit out of place. I get the new wave 80's vibe from the rest of the track but that lead seems more video game-ie than 80's.

Cool track though!

------------------
http://www.facebook.com/mystricmusic

I like remixing pop songs.
dj_patm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

UPDATE: This thing has changed pretty dramatically as of last night.
Still some more work to do, but it's heading in the right direction I think.

------------------

Old 28-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno
MC Status: 610

absolutely great!!
l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:27 AM   #14
TheStumps
Radial Developer
Alaska

OK, it is done!!

This is quite a bit different than the original, but still has the same backbone.

Let me know whatchya think!
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------