Hats
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Bare Bare
IDMf's latest spammer
Bare Bare is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Hats

Hi.

Im struggeling to get my hats to sound clear and less white noisey.

Any tips? Particular effects chain? frequency areas for eq? good vsts?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Advertisements

Bare Bare is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #2
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 12010
Re: Hats

Hmmm what samples are you using I wonder? If your sample sounds like a piece of metal then you’re off to a good start. A good way to eliminate unwanted frequencies in general is to use a narrow EQ boost to find the stuff that is bothering you, then cut it when you find it. For high frequency elements that are too abrasive I usually discover that there might be too much energy in the 2.5-5k range or thereabouts, and a wider cut is appropriate. Also, the envelope of the hat is important as well. If there is a clearly defined attack transient followed by a decently fast decay, it will help the sound seem less abrasive, or at least get out of the way. If you squash the heck out of a hat, there is a better chance it will sound a bit noisy.
Once you get enough posts, give us a listen to your tunes so we can more accurately diagnose your hats! Welcome aboard btw

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
Bare Bare (13-05-2018)
Old 13-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

Are you talking about open hats? Space them apart a little and turn down the volume. This is just mildly too vague to really 'drum' up an answer for

Pun in ten: did

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Bare Bare
IDMf's latest spammer

Thanks for your reply. Many great tips! I will reply more thorough later, need some sleep first
Old 13-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
Bare Bare
IDMf's latest spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Are you talking about open hats? Space them apart a little and turn down the volume. This is just mildly too vague to really 'drum' up an answer for

Pun in ten: did
Yes. Offbeat main hat. Techno/House
Old 13-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

open hi hat i like to put it inbetween my kick and snare/clap.
So what i mean by that is say i have my kick at -6db and my snare/clap at -8db ( i like to have my snare/clap 2 to 3 db below my kick) have my open hat at -7 or -6.5 db.
eq wise start by hipassing till around 700 to 800hz so cutting off all the low nd mid frequencies as there not needed and then i put a small spike at the hi end at around the 7500hz to 8000hz mark then if you want it to sound less white noisy kill off the excess with a low pass at around the 22000 hz mark.
i tend not to compress them either i like to use a transient shaper/processor insted with longish attack so it cuts through nicely and release around two thirds of the way.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,547 Times in 1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
open hi hat i like to put it inbetween my kick and snare/clap.
So what i mean by that is say i have my kick at -6db and my snare/clap at -8db ( i like to have my snare/clap 2 to 3 db below my kick) have my open hat at -7 or -6.5 db.
eq wise start by hipassing till around 700 to 800hz so cutting off all the low nd mid frequencies as there not needed and then i put a small spike at the hi end at around the 7500hz to 8000hz mark then if you want it to sound less white noisy kill off the excess with a low pass at around the 22000 hz mark.
i tend not to compress them either i like to use a transient shaper/processor insted with longish attack so it cuts through nicely and release around two thirds of the way.
that's interesting, I actually want to try that EQ spike suggestion on some of my own hh mixes because sometimes the hiss factor does come about just by compressing, depending on if you're doing multiband. me, i fucks wit it, maybe too much. helps when you have a graphic EQ so you can see where the hisses are, but sometimes in the upper register you have to cloud them by ear.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
h̷e̶y̴ ̷m̷a̴n̸ ̵l̶e̷t̴s̷ ̵f̷a̸c̴e̶ ̷i̶t̸ ̶s̸o̵m̵e̴t̷i̴m̴e̴s̶ ̸i̴t̷s̴ ̴j̴u̶s̶t̸ ̸t̴o̴x̵i̷c̴ ̵a̵n̶d̸ ̵j̷u̶s̷t̴ ̶k̸i̶l̶l̵s̶ ̷l̷e̶g̷i̶t̷i̴m̴a̵t̶e̵ ̷i̵n̷t̶e̷r̸e̸s̶t̷,̸ ̸b̷e̴t̷t̵e̶r̵ ̷t̷o̸ ̸h̸a̷v̷e̸ ̷"̶q̷u̴a̶l̷i̸t̷y̸ ̴p̶o̶s̴t̶s̸"̷ ̷t̸h̶e̸n̵ ̵b̶e̴ ̴t̵h̶e̴ ̷a̸m̷u̸s̷e̶m̵e̷n̷t̶ ̵p̸a̷r̶k̸ ̵o̵f̸ ̴s̶h̵e̶n̸n̴a̸n̶i̷g̸a̶n̶s̴ ̶a̴n̸d̸ ̸b̵u̶l̷l̶s̴h̴i̵t̶.̷.̴.̴o̸t̶h̶e̶r̸w̷i̵s̴e̵ ̵w̷h̸a̶t̴ ̶y̴o̷u̸r̵ ̷l̵e̴f̶t̶ ̴w̴i̵t̸h̵ ̵i̴s̷ ̶a̷ ̶c̴e̵s̶s̶p̷o̵o̵l̶ ̸a̷n̵d̴ ̴n̸o̶ ̷o̷n̴e̶ ̵w̷a̵n̴t̶s̷ ̷t̴o̷ ̷l̵i̸v̴e̵ ̷i̴n̷ ̴a̷ ̷c̴e̶s̸s̷p̸o̷o̶l̸.̵
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18027769

the first place to look is the samples you are using. if they are 'noisy' samples anyway then there wont be a whole lot you can do to clean them up. sample selection is the first opportunity to ruin a track, dont be afraid to swap out samples if they are not working, even if the track is almost finished

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
bu.re_
IDMf's latest spammer
bu.re_ is currently spamming hard
los angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
the first place to look is the samples you are using. if they are 'noisy' samples anyway then there wont be a whole lot you can do to clean them up. sample selection is the first opportunity to ruin a track, dont be afraid to swap out samples if they are not working, even if the track is almost finished
picking the right sample is major! if the sample has white noise backing the hats, there isn't much you can do to clean it up (it'd be pretty counterproductive, anyway!).

is there an option to swap out samples that would replace your current hats' arrangement? in ableton you can hotswap, which is clutch af. if fl has it, you should give it a try.
bu.re_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 04:58 AM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Bare View Post
lol how did vault know?

also i think tsachi was spot on.

I dunno, i'm just gonna say: don't overthink it. When you load up your hi hat sample, if it's in the ballpark for how you want it to sound, you're only a few moves away from perfection. like Tsachi was saying, I would say that cutting harsh freq (a big deal for hi end things like hats) and playing with envelope should get you 90% there.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu.re_ View Post
picking the right sample is major! if the sample has white noise backing the hats, there isn't much you can do to clean it up (it'd be pretty counterproductive, anyway!).

is there an option to swap out samples that would replace your current hats' arrangement? in ableton you can hotswap, which is clutch af. if fl has it, you should give it a try.
there are drum replacement plugins too, but personally i would swap them all individually

------------------
signature loading...
Old 15-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,547 Times in 1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
it's sometimes difficult to tell whether a split second non-tonal high frequency transient sample is "noisy" based on the fact that a hat sample is the definition of "noisy"

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
h̷e̶y̴ ̷m̷a̴n̸ ̵l̶e̷t̴s̷ ̵f̷a̸c̴e̶ ̷i̶t̸ ̶s̸o̵m̵e̴t̷i̴m̴e̴s̶ ̸i̴t̷s̴ ̴j̴u̶s̶t̸ ̸t̴o̴x̵i̷c̴ ̵a̵n̶d̸ ̵j̷u̶s̷t̴ ̶k̸i̶l̶l̵s̶ ̷l̷e̶g̷i̶t̷i̴m̴a̵t̶e̵ ̷i̵n̷t̶e̷r̸e̸s̶t̷,̸ ̸b̷e̴t̷t̵e̶r̵ ̷t̷o̸ ̸h̸a̷v̷e̸ ̷"̶q̷u̴a̶l̷i̸t̷y̸ ̴p̶o̶s̴t̶s̸"̷ ̷t̸h̶e̸n̵ ̵b̶e̴ ̴t̵h̶e̴ ̷a̸m̷u̸s̷e̶m̵e̷n̷t̶ ̵p̸a̷r̶k̸ ̵o̵f̸ ̴s̶h̵e̶n̸n̴a̸n̶i̷g̸a̶n̶s̴ ̶a̴n̸d̸ ̸b̵u̶l̷l̶s̴h̴i̵t̶.̷.̴.̴o̸t̶h̶e̶r̸w̷i̵s̴e̵ ̵w̷h̸a̶t̴ ̶y̴o̷u̸r̵ ̷l̵e̴f̶t̶ ̴w̴i̵t̸h̵ ̵i̴s̷ ̶a̷ ̶c̴e̵s̶s̶p̷o̵o̵l̶ ̸a̷n̵d̴ ̴n̸o̶ ̷o̷n̴e̶ ̵w̷a̵n̴t̶s̷ ̷t̴o̷ ̷l̵i̸v̴e̵ ̷i̴n̷ ̴a̷ ̷c̴e̶s̸s̷p̸o̷o̶l̸.̵
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29660

A way to reduce the “noisey” quality would be to add a resonant peak/boost. A resonant frequency is the polar opposite of white noise.

This is a good example of why you you have to be a bit careful with the “search and destroy” method of eq-ing, in which you drag a boost around until you find a frequency that then cut it. It definitely works in some situations, but there are times when you want things to have resonant peaks. Try the search and destroy method on a clave for example lol. If you cut out the resonance from a hi hat you are going to be left with something resembling noise.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26610

For my hats, I always just use 808 or 909 emulators, so they're pretty clean to start with (though I think based on noise). I hipass around 800hz to 1k and then I have a few (2-4) pretty sharp cuts between 5 khz and 12 khz. I can't give you specific frequencies because that changes with tuning and the mix that the hats need to cut through, but I would say that I don't just drop the cuts to -10db or something. I earball it and leave the right amount of that hiss in there, and sometimes that means I find a nasty frequency and then I only cut 2 db from it, and sometimes I cut 15 db from it. It really depends on what I need to hear the hats around, so I usually have to go and touch them up after I think I have them set to where they sound good to make them audible.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #15
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
it's sometimes difficult to tell whether a split second non-tonal high frequency transient sample is "noisy" based on the fact that a hat sample is the definition of "noisy"
yea there is usually a fair amount of noise, but i assume the sample in question has a bad SNR, which is a bad kind of noise

------------------
signature loading...
Old 16-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Bare View Post
Compress the living crap out of it
Add saturation and distortion
Reverb and then sidechain with kick

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #17
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
er no
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Parricide (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Vault O))) (Yesterday)
Old 17-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

I admit I am not a techno superstar, but seems to work fine for me. Here is an example, for science.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Dry/Wet at first and then a more stripped version of the beat at Wet/Dry. Just turning off said FX and adjusting for volume.

Feel free to provide examples of your preferred mixing techniques, but for that big club techno sound this seems like the easiest approach - and if not further specified, I assume that is what the OP wanted. Though inb4 techno hipstes who think "dub techno" is a valid musical genre.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6110

Still kinda confused what sort of sound you're after (so not sure if I'm answering your question), but if you just want cut away that "white noise-y" quality, just use dynamic equalizer or MB comp to envelope the content above 8k into sort a click, add tiny boost to mids and limit/saturate to taste. That noise is just sustained atonal harmonics in the high end.

Here's an example, both versions peaking at -6db. I kept it kinda subtle but you'll get the idea.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote