[95bpm] Ubh- Form 1-3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 30-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Ubh
Radial Developer
Ubh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
[Electronic] Ubh- Form 1-3

As the title suggests "Form" has three sections of a shared theme, becoming more ambient, or less percussion based as it progresses.

To date I have stuggled with mastering my music. So even if the style of music is not for you, having spent most of my precious freetime over the past fortnight trying to improve the sound quality, Id appreciate any feedback on that aspect if nothing else.

For better sound quality its probably best to download it to listen.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Ubh; 11-05-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Advertisements

Ubh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [95bpm] Ubh- Form 1-3.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26610
Re: [95bpm] Ubh- Form 1-3

Hey dude, I'll just comment quickly from a mastering perspective. I think you got it for the most part, and there's nothing wrong here. However, if I were mastering it, I'd do two things:

1. Pull back the mid trebble a bit. That 2k to 6k band is really easy to miss when you're going after everything, but I find that that area takes up a lot of space and, for me, is one of the most annoying things when I go to turn up a track and there's too much of that in there. Just a broad eq set at 3k or 4k for the center brought down by a db, if that, is all I'd add. You could accomplish the same thing with a very light application of some sort of distortion or saturation, especially tubes.

2. I'd aim for something a bit louder, even if it is ambient. Regardless of genre, I start with an aim for around the middle of the road of what most streaming services will take for loudness, which is -14 LUFS. If you're already there and you still want it louder, keep pushing it. As long as you're not clipping like crazy, you'll be fine. Just turn the output from your limiter down by at least a db to leave room for overages and conversion. If you have to push your limiter too hard and it's distorting, run a second one after the first. I try not to have one limiter remove more than a db from the audio, and I use Izotope's IRC IV on the cleanest settings. If you're using something a little less clean, you may want to be even gentler.

Hope that helps, you're really not far off from having a pro polished sound, it's just that last few percent is the hardest to get. But, with practice, you can get there

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Ubh
Radial Developer
Ubh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura aboutUbh has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for taking the time to listen White noise, also for your encouraging words and advice. Sometimes you can listen to a track so much that, paradoxically, it can be hard to see the wood for the trees, so to speak.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522554

2 Plays from me, as I didn't log on before responding, then relistened as I am commenting!

Great use of stereo space. The builds are pretty fun as well, as your choice of instruments and fx applied to each hit/chord/note/etc work to compliment their respective placement. The story of forms taking place comes across as the tune reels it';s self through each transition rather nicely as well. Can tell you took some time out automating gain stages for various tracks perceived amplitude within the song.

Very well sculpted concept!

Things I feel could be changed:

So many things feel like their occupying the -240hz range. It gets a little muddy at times.

Chorus Vox pad comes in @ 7:13 could get pushed a little further left, imo

Personally I believe in the old metho of letting someone else master. -3 - -6db headroom, no limiter/compressor on master track. Geta really nice mix done, do a a/ of track with Fx, and without. Make sure mix is super tight using whatever mastering chain you think is ok. Then try out landr, or various other friends. A second set of ears on a finished song will really bring it out.

This song is so good, and yet another example of how good songs get over looked by the masses!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Ubh
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmcc View Post

Things I feel could be changed:

So many things feel like their occupying the -240hz range. It gets a little muddy at times.

Chorus Vox pad comes in @ 7:13 could get pushed a little further left, imo

Personally I believe in the old metho of letting someone else master. -3 - -6db headroom, no limiter/compressor on master track. Geta really nice mix done, do a a/ of track with Fx, and without. Make sure mix is super tight using whatever mastering chain you think is ok. Then try out landr, or various other friends. A second set of ears on a finished song will really bring it out.
Nice one! Thanks very much for listenng, for your words of fortitude, and the technical feedback with regards mastering. I'll go back and take a closer look at the 240hz range.

Advertisements