Ministry's Amerikkkant
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to behold
Munich
MC Status: 910
Ministry's Amerikkkant

Ministry's new record Amerikkkant is released. What are your thoughts about it?

I think he let his trash metal voice behind and sings like in the older days. I love Twilight Zone. It has such a great intro.

Advertisements

Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269476358
Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,025 Posts
Re: Ministry's Amerikkkant

Not sure I'm even willing to give this a chance.
Use to love Ministry but last time I saw them live I walked out before the end bored to death and the single for this album Antifa, despite Ministry's political coherence, feels a bit "me too", jumping on the bndwagon and making a slogan track trying to be super relevant...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to behold
Munich

I thought it would polarise. I must say, that I even like the usual Trash Metal. I wished it would be at least like Ministry was with Paul Barker or pre Dark Side of The Spoon. But I still feel connected and there is a certain feeling I still love about Ministry.

Song: Twilight Zone:
I think this song is beatifully produced.
Has anyone experience with a midi violin? Or it's a midi contrabass In the video?

Last edited by Plague; 12-03-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Thanks to Plague
jVs (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
I thought it would polarise. I must say, that I even like the usual Trash Metal. I wished it would be at least like Ministry was with Paul Barker or pre Dark Side of The Spoon. But I still feel connected and there is a certain feeling I still love about Ministry.

Song: Twilight Zone:
I think this song is beatifully produced.
Has anyone experience with a midi violin? Or it's a midi contrabass In the video?
Like Auto I've not been impressed with Al's work over the last few years, And I injected Novocaine into my frontal lobe expecting this to be no different than from beer to eternity..I will say I was not only surprised but excited to hear the song Twilight Zone. I watched the video just because I had to see what tricks were up the sleeve of Nuclear Blast. Ive got the rest of the album on my to do list before the days end just to see if it comes close.

Every thread on the gogglewebs in relation to Ministry has been a great deal of surprise that this wasn't a sleeper but in fact there are some referring to it as The Psalm 69 of the commander in spraytan Drump's regime.

I can only conclude that even though Papaw Jourgensen is fast approaching 110, There is still some fire in those old bones when the righties get in office. So hopefully the next 2 ministry albums will continue to have that element of relatable disgust.

On the other hand Al needs to get his shit together because we can't Keep makin MuriKunt Krazy with these assholes wielding white parr in office in order for Alien to make Ministry great again.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Bought this today based on you guys and it's not so bad, they just choose the wrong single...

I like that old school, sample everything feel to it.

I dislike that some intros are 3 minutes long.

------------------
Old 16-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

Funny! I like those intros. I make those kind of intros in my songs either. But sometimes their worth making another song out of them. I make too many long intros ;-)
Old 26-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
MikeyOSB
Sample Destroyer
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2610

I'm into it. I'm all for some Trump bashing. Especially Industrial Trump bashing. I haven't heard much Ministry aside from this, just from Beer to Eternity a few months ago. I have to say, I like Ministry's sound.
I'm not that into Industrial Metal. The only other Industrial Metal band I've heard that sticks in my mind is Fear Factory, but they're pretty different.

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MikeyOSB
Vault O))) (27-03-2018)
Old 27-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #8
dada_davros
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 12860

It's horrid. Slightly better than recent Ministry releases but that's not a high bar to leap. Dull power chords on repeat, again. If you've ever wondered what long term narcotic use does to creativity then listen to the first 3 Ministry albums, each is remarkably different from the last and recognizably influential in the formation of sounds used still in Industrial music, and then the last 3, repetitive and derivative at best. I suppose I should be excited by the addition of a harmonica riff on Twilight zone but I'm not. Not at all.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
SocialNumb
Soundwave Mangler
SocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MC
Boyton, WPB FL.
MC Status: 32899

I just saw the video for Twilight Zone.

A couple comments I think are funny: "Trump makes Ministry Great again!!!" and "When Donald Trump has more vocal parts than the singer"

<---Yes, I get to use that.

As for the song, it does not sound "industrial", of the metal variety or otherwise, to me. It sounds like rock with some hip hop/rap influences from the 90's. Thumbs down imo. Poor dude looks like his limps or face may fall off at any moment. Ouch.

------------------
It's not that Im anti-social, I just don't like you!
SocialNumb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SocialNumb
Automageddon (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Last time I saw them live he looked like a scarecrow...

------------------
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

Post a pic of you, when you're 60

------------------
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

I'm sure I'll be a bit plumper and healthy looking, mostly because I dind't have his lifestyle...

------------------
Old 05-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

So, I'm the only Al Jourgenson fan here, since the time of "The Land of Rape and Honey" and "Big sexy land". That's so many years and I consider his music as part of my life. Maybe it's nostalgia...I don't know. Revolting Cocks was the first concert when I was just 16 years old. It was so good. Sorry being off topic....

------------------
Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #14
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

I am, just not the latest stuff. The Fall is one of my top songs ever.

------------------
Old 05-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #15
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38160

The more I listen to Amerikkkant, the less I like it, and I didn't particularly like it to begin with. It sounds like Ministry-by-numbers. For me, the halcyon days were Rape and Honey and Mind is a Terrible Thing, and this doesn't remind me of those at all. Way too metal, way too formulaic, way too overtly political for an sad old clown that looks like a pincushion.

I'm well convinced that Jourgensen, while a sometimes compelling frontman, has always been a terrible and boring musician. Everything I ever liked about Ministry came from Barker's influence, which is totally absent here. Amerikkkant sounds like Al phoning it in - a guy that wants an easy paycheck, not someone with a desire to make music, which is pretty much what I've thought about everything since Filth Pig.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I am, just not the latest stuff. The Fall is one of my top songs ever.
I love that one too. The whole Filth Pig Album was great, even when I was disappointed at first, because I thought I would get a follow up to Psalm69.

------------------
Old 06-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
The more I listen to Amerikkkant, the less I like it, and I didn't particularly like it to begin with. It sounds like Ministry-by-numbers. For me, the halcyon days were Rape and Honey and Mind is a Terrible Thing, and this doesn't remind me of those at all. Way too metal, way too formulaic, way too overtly political for an sad old clown that looks like a pincushion.

I'm well convinced that Jourgensen, while a sometimes compelling frontman, has always been a terrible and boring musician. Everything I ever liked about Ministry came from Barker's influence, which is totally absent here. Amerikkkant sounds like Al phoning it in - a guy that wants an easy paycheck, not someone with a desire to make music, which is pretty much what I've thought about everything since Filth Pig.
In Al's book he describes Paul Barker as "mediocre bass player" who has nothing to do with Ministry's sound. I must say, I can't believe it really, because why would they call themselves as "Poductionteam Hypo Luxa and Hermes Pan"?

The last album with Paul Barker was "Animosity.." - that was already a departure of the "old" Ministry sound. I wished Barker was back, but I think the new Lead Into Gold material isn't as good as it was in the nineties.

------------------
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
SocialNumb
Soundwave Mangler
SocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MC
Boyton, WPB FL.
MC Status: 32899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Post a pic of you, when you're 60
60 isn't old. He should look great, had he taken care of himself. I'm confident, baring any disfiguring and or debilitating trauma/sickness, that I'll look good, be in shape, and likely run circles around many people a lot younger than myself. Unfortunately, even with the wealth of information available to most people in the US, for example, according to the CDC, barely 21.7% of adults aged 18 and over meet the physical activity guidelines for both aerobic and muscle strengthening activity. Then you have diet and drug/cig/alcohol use issues to account for as well. I'm in that 21.7%

I don't see myself smoking crack or meth, ect anytime in this life. I eat like my life depends on it, because it does, and regularly exercise/resistance train. Along with living a very stress free life style, I don't drink at all anymore, I don't smoke (but unfortunately did in the past, however I don't feel any lingering affect from it so far) or do drugs, prescription or otherwise so in theory I should be good, doing my hobby way into my 60s+ if I keep at it, and I intend to.

Anyways, I like some of Ministry older stuff. Little at that, now that I think about it. I always did like that voice though. It's a cool character voice, for lack of a better term.

------------------
It's not that Im anti-social, I just don't like you!
SocialNumb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #19
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Hmmm. I've not heard this one. Maybe I'll give it a listen but when you say "thrash metal voice" do you mean "full on growling all the way through the album" because if so, that definitely ain't my bag, baby.

I'm not against growling... but I think it should be used for emphasis
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #20
Plague
Analog Lurker
Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_avocado View Post
Hmmm. I've not heard this one. Maybe I'll give it a listen but when you say "thrash metal voice" do you mean "full on growling all the way through the album" because if so, that definitely ain't my bag, baby.

I'm not against growling... but I think it should be used for emphasis
On Amerikkkant he sings again like in the days of "Thieves" - screamed shouts.
On older post-Barker albums he growls like many Trash metal bands do.

But that is just my impression.

Advertisements

------------------