Tutorial: Reggae / "Making Dub with Computers"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 28-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg
MC Status: 1810
Tutorial: Reggae / "Making Dub with Computers"

Ok, at first sight this might look a bit (or very much ) off... website design ... very slow steps... long introduction... no video... text only... every new chapter has its own site...

But, for me personally this was like super super super precious...

It really (very slowly) takes you precisely through all those steps making a basic Reggae Riddim...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

it opened up a whole new world and inspired me to finally learn the guitar, some more piano and more music theory... this was, along with watching "Dub Echoes" on youtube, a huge motivation.

it helped me to understand the basic reggae structure / elements... i can highly recommend you this, if you have the motivation to break out from your standard EDM routine... and maybe do some dub and or Reggae inspired music... you should take the time and do this tutorial.

Advertisements

Dokan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dokan
Iyashi Sound (28-02-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts
Re: Tutorial: Reggae / "Making Dub with Computers"

Dub Echoes is basically must see for anyone who likes any kind of modern electronic music.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokan View Post
..it opened up a whole new world and inspired me to finally learn the guitar, some more piano and more music theory...
Reading your post - and checking out the tutorial - made me want to suggest doing some kind of dub exchange.

I'm into dub music myself (obviously), and like you - I've been studying it for a while already.

Not being able to replicate a studio like King Tubby's, with rooms for recording a band and all that, - it could still be nice sometimes to have a sparring partner who is into the same kind of thing!

So..

I guess I'm thinking something like exchanging stems/riddims (sending stuff back and forth over the net), adding new tracks to already existing ones, making versions of each others tracks and so on. And exchanging critique and ideas as well, of course.

Well, I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway. Let me know what you think

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 04-03-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
Dokan (05-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Reading your post - and checking out the tutorial - made me want to suggest doing some kind of dub exchange.

I'm into dub music myself (obviously), and like yourself - I've been studying it for a while already.

Not being able to replicate a studio like King Tubby's, with rooms for recording a band and all that, - it could still be nice sometimes to have a sparring partner who is into the same kind of thing!

So..

I guess I'm thinking something like exchanging stems/riddims (sending stuff back and forth over the net), adding new tracks to already existing ones, making versions of each others tracks and so on. And exchanging critique and ideas as well, of course.

Well, I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway. Let me know what you think
That might be a really cool idea for a community project guys. Iíd love to see that part of the forum more active.

I know we had a little tiff about the label in another thread @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, but Iím just the low asshole on the totem pole. There is talk of creating a sub-label to support community projects. A few things to think about. I love dub in all its foms too.

Been listening to some Ott here and there recently.

------------------
Old 04-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I know we had a little tiff about the label in another thread ...
I didn't handle that very elegantly. Sorry about that. My recent affair with brb seems to have addled my brain..

I tried listening to Ott, but couldn't really get into it. I think I can see can see why it's popular though (the stuff I found was pretty pop).

I might try to dig deeper later..

If you're into British Dub, I think this new re-release of the early Dub Syndicate albums is worth mentioning (produced by Adrian Sherwood):

..also available on vinyl.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 04-03-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11010

Dub is awesome and so fun to make

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #7
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I didn't handle that very elegantly. Sorry about that. My recent affair with brb seems to have addled my brain..

I tried listening to Ott, but couldn't really get into it. I think I can see can see why it's popular though (the stuff I found was pretty pop).

I might try to dig deeper later..

If you're into British Dub, I think this new re-release of the early Dub Syndicate albums is worth mentioning (produced by Adrian Sherwood):

..also available on vinyl.

No need to apologize man. But I appriciate it, I was far from elegant myself. Sorry about that.

Yea. Ott isnít for everyone. And I donít know his catalog super well, but my sense of things is his sound varies pretty widly from release to release besides it all being dubby. I will check out that release. I can get down with most things Adrian Sherwood is into for sure.

The big city north of me (dunno if Cleveland, Ohio means anything to you) has its own Sound System now. I havenít made it out to a show yet though.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Iyashi Sound (05-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg

Quote:
[....]

dub exchange? of course i`m up for it...

the only thing is, when it comes to my music... i tend to work on too many things at the same time.
It is getting better recently, so i more focus on finishing more old stuff before i start too many new projects...

so i`m not sure if i can keep up with you time-wise
Old 10-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Hamburg

Quote:

I allready know it for about a few weeks... listening it very much since then...

Generally i almost love everything from Adrian Sherwood and his label "On-U Sound"... there are many many great albums on spotify... for example "Becoming a Cliche" from A. S. ... or the band "African Head Charge"

Advertisements