BB72 Which guitar would you bring on an alien spaceship?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360
BB72 Which guitar would you bring on an alien spaceship?

It's 2018, the world is ending and suddenly your house is on fire.

Panicking, you randomly grap your favourite guitar and head for the stairs, - only to find that outside everything's on fire too. As intense heat and thick black smoke quickly overwhelms you, you spend your last rasping breaths cursing yourself for wasting your final moments browsing the IDMforum hardware thread.

When you wake up, you're onboard an alien spaceship.

All you have with you is your lame old guitar and a weird looking guitar amplifier the aliens have somehow managed to replicate from your memories. It doesn't look quite right. You absent-mindedly notice that your butt feels kind of weird too, as strange and increasingly loud noises start resonating through the ship hull. Feeling lost, you pick up the guitar and start playing.

The rules:

1. Use the supplied audio sample to create the sound of the spaceship interior.

Only use of the supplied sample (a recording of a Jomox drum machine preset called "Beam Me Up") is allowed; however, you can sample, sequence, re-sample, re-amp, time-stretch, pitch, layer use effects etc. as much as you want.

2. Play an actual guitar - use a pick or a slide if you like.

If you don't have a guitar, can't borrow or afford to buy one, don't have the means to record one or just hate guitars in general - the use of prefabricated guitar-samples or synthetic guitar sounds is also allowed.

3. Use an alien guitar amplifier.

It would take too long to explain the various aspects of guitar amplifiers synthetically replicated from memories extracted with alien butt probe technology in detail, - so I'll simply leave it up to you to emulate one as closely as you can.

4. If you decide to play a solo, play it like you just found out your mother is an alien butt probe technician.

The sample:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

NB: The supplied sample is 32bit 48Khz mono. If you need another format, let me know!

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a ...Wednesday.

Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later (Sunday).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Tuesday).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Wednesday, to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 07-02-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460
Re: BB72 Which guitar would you bring on an alien spaceship?

HAH !

Yes.

Doing this.

EDIT : how many guitar tracks are we allowed to record ?

Last edited by Chozo Tull; 07-02-2018 at 06:38 PM..

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
Iyashi Sound (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
how many guitar tracks are we allowed to record ?
As many as you like. Using a looper is fine too.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11010

Nice one dude! Can you have a bass guitar as well or I guess it doesn't really fit the narrative.

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Can you have a bass guitar as well.
A bass guitar is all right. Most aliens probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11485654

How about a uke? Otherwise I might have to use the electric guitar in FL Studio.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Iyashi Sound (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
How about a uke?
A ukulele is a fine choice, even though it strictly speaking belongs to the lute family.

Normal lutes are allowed too.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 09-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
I/O_Madness (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
suspension
Microknight
suspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond repute
NYC
MC Status: 2110

This is relevant to my interests. Gonna screw around with this tonight.

------------------
suspension is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to suspension
Iyashi Sound (10-02-2018)
Old 16-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #9
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler

Hey there spacefarers

Here's my best attempt so far:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (16-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

Might be out of that one on account on me moving soon / getting married / hosting my mother in law x.x will try to push stuff out tomorrow before deadline ...

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver

Here's my submission. Just a quck shabby jam, didn't have time for mixing and stuff but wanted to submit something all the same.

Ps: I know it says i submitted a minute past deadline but i have a screen grab that shows that my computers clock was a bit off the forum clock if that makes a difference:[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by 7asid; 19-02-2018 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: soundcloud link wasnt showing up

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (19-02-2018)
Old 19-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler

To be honest I'm just glad one of you actually posted some sound

I like the surf music vibe on this. You've clearly a better guitar player than me (I ended up using a sampler). Thanks.
Old 21-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler

Well, that was a bit anticlimactic - but here we are.

Nobody voted (myself included), and it feels a bit like Beat Battles might be on the verge of disappearing into the void..

Your opinions on whether we should keep it going or not would be most welcome!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I saw you kicked some ass over at the soundscape show and will be running the next one (congrats!). So of you don't feel like taking on another BB at the same time, that would be perfectly understandable. It's actually a very nice piece of guitar noodling you cooked up btw, - with some tasty variations, old school drum patterns and a bit of spacey weirdness Re-listening I almost feel like the B52s could've be in the room with you when you recorded it. Rock lobster!

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 21-02-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (22-02-2018)
Old 22-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
7asid
Soundscaper
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Well, that was a bit anticlimactic - but here we are.

Nobody voted (myself included), and it feels a bit like Beat Battles might be on the verge of disappearing into the void..

Your opinions on whether we should keep it going or not would be most welcome!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I saw you kicked some ass over at the soundscape show and will be running the next one (congrats!). So of you don't feel like taking on another BB at the same time, that would be perfectly understandable. It's actually a very nice piece of guitar noodling you cooked up btw, - with some tasty variations, old school drum patterns and a bit of spacey weirdness Re-listening I almost feel like the B52s could've be in the room with you when you recorded it. Rock lobster!
I had big dreams for it but alas next thing I knew I had 4hrs until deadline and all i had was the drums. I liked the guitar theme, i hope another one comes around. Your track was cool and trippy, pretty much spot on what your thematic narrative called for. Good job!

Yeah I'm not sure what to do here with the bb's, I'm fine to start another one, I don't wanna let it die but it is pretty unpopulated these days, I'm kind of expecting it to still be a couple of submissions and it's bumming me out. And there's alot of side challenges happening right now, i wish folks would circle back oh well.

I'll try to have something up in the next 24hrs.

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (22-02-2018)