Help ! Laptop For Ableton
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
Ramnba
IDMf's latest spammer
Ramnba is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Help ! Laptop For Ableton

Hey there thanks in advance so i am about to start my music production (ableton) stuff for that I primarily need a laptop in my personal experience i have used windows a bit never used mac kinda curious as "THEY" say Mac always & okay its a pretty simple expensive machine but i am buying 2016 high spec 512gb model (kinda budgetary) :
(Correct me if i am wrong)

-it's kinda cheap from 2017 and its like 10 % performance ? Right

-as my main concern is music production i really don't want to compromise on performance the requirements of ableton changes rarely ? so i think macbook would be more than enough and can handle stuff really well ? And will lead me few good years after i become pro :p

- (If budget is low) on 256gb model any suggestions on managment of 256gb capacity with ableton ?

-or should i buy windows 7700hq laptops(dell 7577/asus zenbook pro ux550vw /xps 15/yoga920) or 8th gen which can outperform macbook and give me bang for the buck ? I know os but they say its okaish
Please share your personal experiences and opinions and surely let me know asap

Advertisements

Ramnba is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 73824
Thanked 1,225 Times in 756 Posts
Re: Help ! Laptop For Ableton

Any of these will run Ableton just fine. I'm unsure about the "10%" comment? Your sentences kinda blend together a bit

2017 was like 2 months ago so it's ok, slowwwww down here. I still have a windows tower I have been running for over five years, works just fine.

I've used both, I prefer Apple, but that's based on my workflow. Mostly aesthetic. Windows is great as well. But, I find the investment in Mac to be far better just in case I ever want to get rid of the computer itself. Windows can be a lot more clunky with add-ons and that sort of thing, but again, that's personal opinion, and I'm sure if you work hard enough at it you could strip the OS down to only what you want. They lost me when they started giving me a hard time with mandatory updates.

As far as the 256g question, grab an external?

Your main concern is performance for running Ableton. You'll be fine either way. This is not revolutionary software these days.

Good luck on turning pro, shoot for the stars

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

I moved your thread to the correct section : ) Suggestions & Feedback is for suggestions and feedback about the forum.

Unless you are running a lot of “live” audio tracks RAM is less important than processing power. Basically, buy the best laptop you can afford if that is your primary production tool. I spent about $900 building my own production desktop about 7 years ago and its only just getting to the point were I’d really like to upgrade.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
mnkvolcno (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29910

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I moved your thread to the correct section : ) Suggestions & Feedback is for suggestions and feedback about the forum.

Unless you are running a lot of “live” audio tracks RAM is less important than processing power. Basically, buy the best laptop you can afford if that is your primary production tool. I spent about $900 building my own production desktop about 7 years ago and its only just getting to the point were I’d really like to upgrade.
Lol holy hell, I read that as $9000 at first and I was like “is the case made of gold!?”

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
relic (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29910

Oh yea.. and to actually offer something productive:

I would second the desktop idea. I have a laptop, but it’s only for live shows. If I was never going to do live shows, I would never buy a laptop again. Better performance for the money, upgradable, and they just last a lot longer because they’re sitting in one place instead of being banged around. Plus you can set up a nicer, more, ergonomic work area that you associate with make music. I’ve worked mostly on a desktop for years, so I just get irritated by small screens, shitty keyboards, and trackpads.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

I run a 7700hq as a workstation at my peripheral office (where I do bunkerdowns and meet clients). It can take a beating. It does work that is a lot more demanding than Ableton could ever be.

Strongly suggest you go with the 7700hq if you can afford it, or wait for the 8700hq, which should be a big bump up in performance.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123310
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,444 Posts

I have 7700hq too, it's very good. Heck, even my older laptop with 2670qm used to work great with Live 9. Unless you jam your projects with 99 heavy load VSTs, but that's your problem.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54260
Thanked 1,085 Times in 713 Posts

You can get by with a potato if you remember the 3 F's - freeze, flatten, and fuggetaboutit

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
You can get by with a potato if you remember the 3 F's - freeze, flatten, and fuggetaboutit
Yep. I "save as..." versions of each project and render tracks to audio pretty frequently. Things get a little wonky when I've got a dozen total U-he plug ins running...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
faretrade
IDMf's latest spammer
faretrade will become famous soon enough
Cape Town, South Africa
MC Status: 60

I'm so ashamed to admit that I just discovered this functionality recently - that is how isolating my production experience has been. What a life-changer.
faretrade is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post

COMMIT!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 03:05 AM   #12
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5745493

I will add that USB bandwidth is sort of important if you intend to hook stuffs up. My old computer used to have have major issues having a few controllers, a headset, audio interface all hooked up at once. New one, not so much. Haven't had a single issue. So if possible pay some attention to that if you intend on hooking a bunch of stuff up.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Bretzky52
IDMf's latest spammer
Bretzky52 is currently spamming hard
Palm Springs
MC Status: 10

I switched to the Lenovo ideapad. It has tons of storage for everything that needs to be downloaded as well as extra space for more samples and packs. I haven't had any problems with it so far. It was pretty cheap as well. Happily surprised with the price.
Bretzky52 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #14
padbury
IDMf's latest spammer
padbury will become famous soon enough
Perth
MC Status: 60

My 2 cents.

I have used Ableton for about 4 years, starting on Windows 7 on a Dell Alienware M11xr3 laptop, then I moved to a using Ableton on a powerful Hackintosh desktop I built and most recently I installed Ableton on a Macbook Air 11" for working on Ableton on the train ride to work.

When I started with Ableton, using the Windows laptop, at home I hooked my laptop up to a pair of large monitors (Ableton has two screens), added a full sized keyboard and mouse and some studio speakers. Hey presto a "desktop" system, then when I left the house, I unplugged the laptop and took it on the road with me.

Of the three systems, the 2 Mac's are superior. Mainly due to the flexibility of the Apple native audio system "core-audio", which runs rings around the ASIO4All dodgy sound methods of Windows. The native Windows audio is very poor with Ableton, you are virtually forced to use ASIO4All to improve latencies.

I also had many many driver problems with Windows and my music hardware. These problems evaporated once I went to Mac.

I also had many latency issues with the Windows machine, which although a i5 8GB machine, had too many random background services that stole processing availability away from Ableton. The audio latency constantly varied, I could never set it and forget it. I had to stop the song and adjust every outboard recording time wise before I could replay the recording in time with the song.

On my Mac I have a 59 millisecond latency permanently set to my external MIDI controller, it rarely needs adjusting, my external hardware to Ableton recordings are consistently & instantly replayable without needing time adjustments.

The Macbook Air I use is the early 2015 edition 1.6GHz intel Core i5, 4GB memory, intel HD 6000 graphics running MacOS High Sierra. I got it second hand on eBay cheap, it is small and light, runs the current Mac OS, it runs at 25% processor use when playing projects in Ableton, the battery lasts well, even though I have added an app to prevent sleep mode. I'm very happy with this little Macbook and Ableton, they go well together.

I use both the Macbook and the Hackintosh daily. One out of the house, the other permanently connected to my outboard rig in a small studio. Ableton's licencing allows you to install the same licence on a number of devices.

So Mac is my recommendation, portable is my second recommendation, as music ideas happen away from home often.

Lastly, the Hackintosh I built - if it was a real Mac of the same specs, it would cost at least 2 grand more to buy, so if you want a powerful Mac for your production rig but have half the money needed, build one yourself, I did, it's not that hard.

The Alienware laptop is for sale by the way!

Last edited by padbury; 10-05-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Advertisements

padbury is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote