Question about a synth sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Question about a synth sound

Hello people, I cannot post links yet but I am trying to figure out how a synth sound was created. The track is

Floyd Lavine - Masala (Pablo Fierro Mix).

In the track there is a wonderful melody that kind of floats in from the beginning of the track. The sound itself seems simple but complex at the same time. I believe there are two sounds layered on top of one another ie (a bottom not bass but lower mid range sound and a top). I think there may either a filter opening or maybe just a simple volume fade in of the sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts
Re: Question about a synth sound

The very first synth patch sounds like a simple organ patch to me. Probably achieveable on any subtractive synth. I’d probably just choose an organ preset and go from there...YMMV...

...If you are meaning the synth patch that comes in around 3 seconds it sounds like a sine wave with maybe a sub osciallator and then a also a filtered saw or square wave with some LPF to dull the harmonics a bit.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Brookside_Chase (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The very first synth patch sounds like a simple organ patch to me. Probably achieveable on any subtractive synth. I’d probably just choose an organ preset and go from there...YMMV...

...If you are meaning the synth patch that comes in around 3 seconds it sounds like a sine wave with maybe a sub osciallator and then a also a filtered saw or square wave with some LPF to dull the harmonics a bit.
Ok thanks. I will start building from there! It's actually the patch coming in at 30 seconds. But you may have meant 30 instead of 3. Anyways, thanks again for checking it out and pointing me in the right direction.
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Yes! 30 seconds, is what I meant : )

Whatever it is doesn't sound too complicated to me.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26610

To me, just sounds like saws with a gentle lowpass filter and some sidechaining on them to give them a bit of rhythm. I think most of the sound you're actually hearing is the chords and how the notes interact with each other, which I can't help you with because I haven't done ear training.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote