Vaetxh/Woulg techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 13-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
mviljamaa
Regular Freak
mviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Vaetxh/Woulg techniques

Partly inspired by this thread (idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=142139) and a new plug-in called Granite (newsonicarts.com/html/granite.php) I discovered.

The linked Granite granular synthesizer is pretty Vaetxh-like. I mean, even some of the presets sound like they would be straight from a Vaetxh track. That is, it displays that much of Vaetxh sound is granular synthesis with parameter modulation and occasionally stereo effects. The key is to use good quality samples as input and then experimenting (or "fooling around") with different parameter changes until something good pops up. This is probably replicable using other tools, but Granite seems very easy to fool around with.

What else do you know about techniques that are heard in Vaetxh and Woulg tracks? Or suitable plug-ins/patches?

Last edited by mviljamaa; 13-02-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Advertisements

mviljamaa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mviljamaa
Nystagmus (16-02-2016)
Old 14-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282984
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts
Re: Vaetxh/Woulg techniques

I had a release on the same label as woulg once this therefore thread (rather pathetically) makes me happy

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
mviljamaa
Regular Freak
mviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nicemviljamaa is just really nice

I used to enjoy both, but after discovering Granite, I'm finding the music of both more boring, since I can generate similar sounds rather easily.

Much of what Vaetxh is doing is really just parsing together different "runs" of Granite-like granular synthesis. Eventhough many people could think at first that it would involve heavy manual editing.
Old 14-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

when it comes in extreme genres like these it's not the problem to create a 'new' sound but rather mixing it all together and make it fit
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123160
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,442 Posts

I always thought (but can't confirm) that guys were using something in Reaktor: Buffeater, Vortex and other Twisted Tools products. Some are very capable of doing crazy granular stuff. Granite looks like a cool thing, I might check it out.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
lolirl (23-02-2016)
Old 14-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

I love both these artists and honestly I'm suprised they're this well known.

I have absolutely no idea how they create their sounds and would love to find out.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
I always thought (but can't confirm) that guys were using something in Reaktor: Buffeater, Vortex and other Twisted Tools products. Some are very capable of doing crazy granular stuff. Granite looks like a cool thing, I might check it out.
Vaetxh has stated that [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, and some of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
mviljamaa
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Vaetxh has stated that he primarily uses SynthMaker and MaxMSP, and some of the xoxos.net stuff
Sure these techniques may be realizable using many tools, but the more interesting bit is, what are the techniques?
Old 16-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Synthmaker/MAX are cool. Never could understand how people use them. I had a look at synthmaker before and I couldnt come up with anything I couldn't do in a DAW, unless you go under the hood and mingle with the code.
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

that's really cool somebody is using the xoxos stuff.

i tried some of those and they are really weird but amazing synths.
great physical modeling.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviljamaa View Post
a new plug-in called Granite (newsonicarts.com/html/granite.php) I discovered.
This reminds me a lot of The Mangle: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Seems neat though.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
A.M (24-02-2016)
Old 23-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #12
L1ll38r0r
Regular Freak
L1ll38r0r is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you have access to ableton; try resampling into audio and then warp the clip with the "beats" engine and mess around with the settings. you could also try using a sampler with "loop" enabled and automate the loop length while you hold down a key for a long time.
L1ll38r0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
This.
I got told I was sounding a lot like Vaethx after doing a few tracks with...can't even remember the name now...that orange and grey granular one with all the boxes...sorry, it's completely gone, but yeah you're right.

I don't get why simplifying your music making process would suddenly make you dislike the outcome?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #14
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I don't get why simplifying your music making process would suddenly make you dislike the outcome?
I would say that if that's happening then that person is relying too much on their tools rather than their own vision or creativity.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
lolirl (24-02-2016)
Old 24-02-2016, 04:56 AM   #15
grinzler
Minor Glitch
grinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
This.
I got told I was sounding a lot like Vaethx after doing a few tracks with...can't even remember the name now...that orange and grey granular one with all the boxes...sorry, it's completely gone, but yeah you're right.

this one? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
grinzler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198360
Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,954 Posts

Yeah, as Candlesayshi said..this IS a lot like the Mangle.main difference is the Mangle will cost you 1/4 of the price. Also, this is not new at all..been around since 2011, as the SOS review clearly shows. I get you're really stoked by this and that's great, but it's not really anything new at all.

But yeah, I share your feelings about how, after discovering Granite, music like this can seem boring, since being able to replicate such sounds yourself kinda takes the magic out of it all.

And what you said about Vaetxh basically "parsing together different "runs" of Granite-like granular synthesis". But therein lies the crux of the matter..it's all about the actual synthesis and not really the tools used to achieve the end result. I know that might sound a little "arty", but it's true. When it comes to any granular based music, what really matters is the combination of the different elements of the piece, that..when combined, lead to the layered end track or soundscape.

That's the thing about granular synthesis..it really still is a wide open country waiting to be explored and one of the last music frontiers in which we can get lost. It's not by any means new or recent, but like most things ambient, it's remained on the outskirts of society, waiting for the mainstream to flirt with it in a more meaningful way..which is what you're starting to do yourself.

So, in short, don't let that lead you to lose respect for the work of other artists..remember, they did this before you and most others had even heard anything like the sounds they created. If you find you can practically do the same as them, the run with it and do better. The world is waiting..who knows, you could even be the next Cage. Eno or Rob Clouth.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinzler View Post
Nope sorry.
I think it was one of the standard ones that came with it at some point.
If it comes back to me I'll pass it on.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
grinzler
Minor Glitch
grinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
this is a real powerhouse
grinzler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #19
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198360
Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,954 Posts

Quote:
Nope sorry.
I think it was one of the standard ones that came with it at some point.
If it comes back to me I'll pass it on.
lolirl, it wasn't Padshop, was it?

Just wondering, as what you said about the colors kinda reminded me of that off the bat. (It's a big dark in the pic above, but what you said made me think of it.)

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #20
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Well, depending on what you want to do there's a quadrillion way of making this kind of stuff, a good one is loading sounds into a sampler and using things like LFOs or envelopes to play with loop points.

Honestly, even before you get into crazy programmatical ways to do this, You'd be surprised what you can achieve by automating your sampler.

Advertisements

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote